The discovery thread!
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #92,386 of 106,675
I have experienced very few cases when swapping a cable produce enough change that can overcome “aural forgetness.” (Even fewer cases when the change is better) Similarly to Bosk’s point, most of those cables are beefy beasts. If you have a chance, test the code 23 cable from effect audio. If even that cable cannot create audible change to your ears, none of the cable could, IMHO.
Yeah there's generally a direct cable tradeoff between heavier weight & worse ergonomics and performance.

Eletech might represent the pinnacle of 4 wire cable performance - their cables are incredibly pliable with amazing ergonomics yet they enhance performance significantly. However you could potentially obtain similar if not greater cable benefits in areas like soundstage or bass improvement by choosing a much less ergonomic 8 wire cable from a different brand, without having to spend anywhere near as much.

I suggest sticking with more affordable cable brands like Penon, NiceHCK, XINHS, ISN, Simgot & Hakugei until you already own at least least one high-end IEM, as that's always the best place to park your audio funds. However even entry-level IEMs can be often be improved to a surprising degree by really good cables, though hybrids seem to benefit more than single-DDs. I'm also a huge advocate for quality amplification which can make an even bigger difference in many cases.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #92,387 of 106,675
Uhh, RUH-ROH...
From HBB: "These are the best earphones in my collection. They are the #1 earphones your money can buy."

ONLY $3499! :money_mouth:
Purchase LINK.

You might could sell a kidney and get you halfway there...Probably not.

HBB gives me shill vibes, not to mention he has been called out for schitty behavior in the past.

I'd be told to GTFOH if I told HBB this on Hifiguides which is where you usually find him (Pretty sure Chris was banned here years ago.)

That was his reply to a deleted YT comment I made about the Oriolus Traiilii being an extremely overpriced IEM.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #92,388 of 106,675
HBB gives me shill vibes, not to mention he has been called out for schitty behavior in the past.

I'd be told to GTFOH if I told HBB this on Hifiguides which is where you usually find him (Pretty sure Chris was banned here years ago.)

That was his reply to a deleted YT comment I made about the Oriolus Traiilii being an extremely overpriced IEM.
I get what you’re saying. Chris claims this all BA set has better tactility than the likes of Maestro SE, which is very shocking to me.

I’m just waiting on a few others to maybe get their hands on a set to demo. I’m hoping there’s a pair at CanJam to demo. If so, I’ll be happy to report back after my trip.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #92,389 of 106,675
There is some type of cult around that the drivers have to be Knowles or Sonion, everything else get looked down upon.

Also probably why the seller of the Pula say it, only way to be able to sell more easily.

I know that Abel the IEM maker for AüR Audio like to use E-Audio drivers for the midrange. And this is just because he like the midrange qualities it have, AüR mention it in the specs. But I bet e-Audio drivers being mentioned is taking away some possible customers since it's not Sonion or Knowles. Even if probably more brands been using it in disguise 🥸

Haven't shared much yet about the Ascension, had it for more than a week. When I had time during Xmas I have had them in my ears 😁

It has the richest sound of the AüR releases, warm and musical. The thicker tonality is also more airy and wide sounding than the NP.
Very resolving, but not so much that it ruins a older recording. Its rather opposite where I can also listen to older rock recording and enjoy it.

Still new toy syndrome for me, but it is my favorite from them right now.

Listening to Ascension now(yay!) with Baroque tips, and I remembered this post. Because DAYUM, vocals on Ascension are really something else. These E-Audio drivers seem to do a great job of extracting additional texture that I don't usually hear too often outside of bone conduction IEMs and, presumably because it also uses E-Audio BAs for midrange, Aurora(although maybe moreso than Aurora, I think, without an A/B). It seems to subtly impart a bit of extra weight and vocal holography. Like running your fingers over the embossed lettering of a magazine cover.

Ascension seems to do a good job of providing a musical, fun experience without pushing it too much, and retaining a little of the laid-back, warm character of Aurora(at least compared to something very high-energy like the DTE900, Crimson, Z1R, etc). For instance, sometimes this song can be a bit shouty at times with certain IEMs, but that's not the case with Ascension, despite giving enough energy to be really fun.

I still have to burn them in and get to know them more, but I'm already really enjoying these. Technicalities are very impressive as well. I'm liking Ascension immediately, whereas I had to grow to love Aurora and especially Alita(which I really love these days, for bringing something completely unique to the table compared to most of my IEMs).

I really wish IEMs in this price range(and up...*cough*Radon 6*cough*) came standard with modular cables though. I'm pretty fond of the included cable, don't get me wrong, I would just like to use it with my 3.5 sources(including gaming stuff) without an adaptor.

Edit - Ascension really shows off with this song:

So good.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #92,390 of 106,675
I'm also a huge advocate for quality amplification which can make an even bigger difference in many cases.
The difference in the quality and quantity of amplification I personally perceive always and clearly, the differences in cables are just a breeze caused by the flapping of butterfly wings. (And I'm still not sure if the butterfly flew by at all.)

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #92,391 of 106,675
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #92,392 of 106,675
The difference in the quality and quantity of amplification I personally perceive always and clearly, the differences in cables are just a breeze caused by the flapping of butterfly wings. (And I'm still not sure if the butterfly flew by at all.)
Damn. That's funny 😂

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #92,393 of 106,675
Oh guys, KZ AS24 has a discount roughly $80 posted currently.
415008845_865943071997807_2236207448769340063_n.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #92,394 of 106,675

That is a sign that a "PRO" or "ULTRA" version of this pokemon is going to come out next week.

They need to get rid of existing stock before launching more pokemons into the wild.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #92,395 of 106,675
possibly they are prepping for the next gen and clearing out the stock.

but review so far,
but this IEMs is detail monster for the price, good for string instruments, but the fine tuning might not be for everyone.

pretty sure Red and the late American Spirit wrote pretty extensive review of this thing if you need more info

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #92,396 of 106,675
That is a sign that a "PRO" or "ULTRA" version of this pokemon is going to come out next week.

They need to get rid of existing stock before launching more pokemons into the wild.

I like their strategy. "You're supposed to buy this...if you're a PRO."

Good thing we are just filthy casuals.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #92,397 of 106,675
Being KZ the Pro is probably for Provisional - Tuning will probably change once review samples have gone out.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #92,399 of 106,675
Kinera Plutus Beast.

This is an exotic setup, featuring 1 x bone conduction driver, 1 x BA and 1 square planar driver.

8 kHz is a coupler peak. Listening impressions soon.
Apparently the Plutus Beast will launch on 10th January for about $89.

Akros has released a video review.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #92,400 of 106,675

Users who are viewing this thread

Back