The discovery thread!
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #91,561 of 106,628
I daresay there is a brand that releases three different iems with different tunings in different price brackets, and I like all of them. But very surprisingly, Oriveti has managed to do just that.

Those who know me, know that I very seldom gush over any gear. However, after getting the OD100, OD200, and the OH700VB, I simply cannot get enough of them. What's even strange is I do not feel to be missing anything when I go from one to another, despite their $69, $199, and $699 pricing. Each of them performs so outstandingly well and sounds so distinctly different that I instantly connect with the sound and the unique signature, and forget about the previous one.

This is honestly a massive feat. They did not go for one single sound signature for all three of them with just different technicalities. Instead, they created unique persona for all three of them which are all beautiful and excellent in their own ways. Some may prefer it, some may don't, but I love all three.

I did not really like the OH700VB in the initial days, but now that has changed totally.

Declaration: I received these iems from Oriveti for free for reviewing. I had to pay the customs duty only.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #91,562 of 106,628
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #91,563 of 106,628
Wow nice, thanks for taking one for the team!

How does it compare to the GK100? The GK100 was really technical/analytical but it lacked note weight and came across as sterile. Timbre was a bit off and it may be too bright for treble-sensitive folk. However, I appreciate it is one of the most resolving sub $200 IEMs.

PSX_20231222_123204.jpg

Gk100 has more intimate presentation than Gk200. Gk200 has a lean back character therefore leading you have more depth in soundstage perception. That also leads Gk100 to distribute the instruments on wider range. If you crank up the volume with Gk200 they come closer but still keeping that distance successfully. When it comes to height both are not excellent but Gk200 is better with its slightly smoother presentation in the ultra high end and it locates a little higher somewhere in the back outside of your head.

Imaging is a strange point. Gk100 hits your face with details making you think its better. Gk200 requires a little more attention to grab sth. This makes me think that Gk200 is more musical and good for long listening sessions to blend in the music. For ex. When it comes guitars I'm having difficulty to pin point their location with Gk200. They come from somewhere but not that clear. Gk100 is better and I assume this due to its sharper treble. This is also the main cause for its intimate presentation. Gk200 is not worse but not trying to be analytical.

Bass is same in both for me. Textured(detailed) , balanced not trying to disturb the rest much. Slightly pillowy(or on the softer side). I was honestly expecting more from this double dd integration. However, it doesn't seem give an edge or wow effect. It's just fine. Bassheads will not be satisfied at all. Neutralists you're welcome.

Mids is the part that differs both. Gk200 gives soul to the vocals. There's much more details available in the mids. Gk100 slightly thin. Gk100 is intimate when it comes to it's presentation but puts vocal further back than Gk200.

Treble is a little more similar. As I mentioned above Gk100 sounds more technical and I believe this due to its more forward treble making you focus on the details therefore leading it more intimate. Both has that classic piezo characteristics. Gk200 makes you question a little more if it's one of the good BAs from knowles that gives good texture in the ultra high end.

When I EQ my iems, I always like giving them air. That helps the soundstage perception. If there's no air, you end up with that squeezed, breathless presentation making you feel like it's trapped. There's always some echo, some remaining from the previous effects in real life condition. However, giving too much makes the presentation too intimate or worst sometimes. If the iems don't have any roll off in that region, it's unnecessary and makes soundstage more intimate. Additionally, if the driver used in that region is bad that also doesn't help with anything as it gets worse with more distortion. I have this situation with bad DDs always. They suffer at giving more resolution, rather get sharp piercing. BAs are good, usually... (looking at crappy bellsing drivers) and they handle it well. Planars are so so, they have unique character and better not to play much. ESTs are best, they handle greatly. That finally brings us to piezos. Piezos, when giving a little more emphasize, get worse and that metallic, non-extended sound(ziinnnnggg) makes your listening session worse. That's why I believe that they should be tamed during their implementation, not much energy given and they will shine better. Gk200 and Gk100 are a good example for this while Gk200 taking an edge. No way that they so close to ESTs, still... But they come really close and metallic bitterness has been taken away from Gk200. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #91,564 of 106,628
What would you guys say is your best value IEM of the year? My vote would go to Butastur(drama not withstanding). But I do have an OD200 on the way. It was easy to YOLO on looking like such a complete package and with 10% off.
Best value?
SIMGOT EW200, but if a person wanted to truly be happy, at the price it is and what it offers......I would have to say the Kiwi ears Quintet is the headphone of the year, at least in my eyes. Best value being it does it all, and I could have it be my only one.........well almost. I would have to take the Penon 10th Anniversary to the island along with the Quintet. That’s $499.00 and still the Penon 10th at $499.00 it’s a flagship. A value flagship!

So for me the two values of the year for 2023 have to be the 10th Anniversary and the Kiwi ears Quintet. Both are totally fun and complementary as well as complete, to me anyways? :)

6746B282-77D1-4E58-B5A1-D872D73D259E.jpeg
3CDC0345-47CB-45F6-8415-F2F44F9F769F.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #91,565 of 106,628
Additionally, I should mention that both are still great at their price range, just different characteristics. It shouldn't make you think Gk100 is bad or anything. Honestly both are good. Gk100 with that versatile hakugei cable is a really good option. There's also a price difference between these two which might not be less for some who can't afford. Looking for better mids and more balanced profile? Pay a little more and get Gk200. Otherwise, Gk100 is really good, detailed and can be a good introduction to piezos.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #91,566 of 106,628
Kinera Plutus Beast.

This is an exotic setup, featuring 1 x bone conduction driver, 1 x BA and 1 square planar driver.

Platus 3.jpg
Platus 4.jpg

8 kHz is a coupler peak. Listening impressions soon.
Kinera Platus Beast.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #91,567 of 106,628

New old toy. It’s the Effect Audio / Elysian Acoustic Labs Gaea, in case you haven’t seen it before.

It’s a divisive IEM for sure. I like it because it has wide soundstage and almost “forced/fake” clarity due to the tuning, which I enjoy. If you like your IEM to be mellow and warm, stay away from these. They would sound like banshee screeching to you.

Impressions from a recent visit at the local Addicted To Audio

Campfire Audio Supermoon (chromatic series revision):
  • One of the most normal IEMs from campfire so far.
  • Proper upper midrange that is a but too strong, creating the crisp and thin sound not unlike Moondrop Blessing 3
  • Due to the thinner midrange, the bass stands out more, making the planar dynamic shines.
  • Due to the thinner midrange, the stage seems larger, in the sense that everything is pushed away from the head.
  • I spent quite a bit of time A/B this and the F1 Pro. I didn’t find much difference in technical performance, besides whatever baked into the tuning differences.
  • Not insanely sensitive like other campfire.
I still think that it has the same 14.x drivers as other manufacturers starting from the 7hz timeless I.

Campfire Bonneville:
  • Flagship of the chromatic series and seems to be a follow up / cheaper version of the Solaris rather than Andromeda
  • Not grossly sensitive
  • It’s alright. It sounds better than its graph, but not special. I didn’t want to try a different song after finishing the first one. Warm-ish sound signature.
  • Bass tuned toward a rich and gooey / analog sound rather than the lightning fast transient like supermoon. Not sluggish or blunted, just alright.
  • The usual staging and imaging strength of Campfire were not apparent with these IEM.

Monarch III:
  • Finally! I have been waiting to try this one for so long.
  • The default shells are not as pretty as the MkII in person.
  • Tuning is very sane. It’s a good version of “neutral”. Not thin, not thick, not bright, not dark. It’s… right. If you are used to Simgot house sound, Mk3 might sound a bit warm and muffled. If you are used to thick gooey Campfire house sound, Mk3 might be too bright and thin. A few songs would be enough to adjust your ears.
  • Bass transient problem of Mk2 has been completed fixed. Bass is strong with crisp transients. (Still “slower” than planar IEM in A/B)
  • Still the same level of details as Mk2, which can even give U12t a run for their money with some tracks, due to the tuning difference.
  • Still the same kinda boring staging and imaging of Mk2. It’s wide enough, accurate enough, layering well enough, but it does not trigger an strong “3D” illusion.
If you don’t care / can’t hear the soundstage imaging, no kilobuck option is safer than Monarch III. For me, it does not bring anything to the table. But it’s a respectable IEM and, arguably, a good value.
I suppose if i listen to Heifetz with this lot I wouldn’t be that impressed 😝
to me itllbe all about the fun and bass, if i want reference I wouldn’t pick any of these, this is where this whole hobby is so problematic for me, most of the great recordings don’t sound amazing on headphones in general
On the other hand, good modern recs like the new P Gabriel sounds already amazing on cheaper iems, I don’t think spending 4k does it for me either

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #91,568 of 106,628
For me, OD200 and Simgot EA1000. The fact that even after a month or two of owning these two, I listen to them daily. I don't feel the itch to move to a different iem when I am listening to any song on these two. I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my other kilobuck iems.

Does it need some really good sources to shine? Or it sounds this way on most of the sources?

I'm really enjoying OD200 also, and now have the EA1000 on the way - looking forward to hearing them.

The TIMSOK TS-316 landed on Wednesday and loving them, actually getting more of my time at the moment than the Kinera Loki which also arrived this week!

Very impressive set that definitely leans more towards musicality than technical prowess or analytical. Plenty of bass, sub digs nice and deep and a decent level of mid bass kick... mids have a smooth warmth to them, with excellent clarity and detail - ever so slightly pushed back or at least level, definitely not prominent. Treble extends reasonably well, but again not a focus area... stage isn't massive, but an excellent stereo field and easy to pinpoint instruments with great imaging and layering, albeit again less of a focus: this set for me is all about kicking back and enjoying the music... very addictive tuning - seductive, relaxing and yet highly engaging.

The cable is a bit of a pain in the behind though - stiff and unwieldly, so much that it kept pulling the IEM out of my right ear in particular! Needless to say I've switched to another from my collection.

Early days, but loving these so far and I've tested quite a few genres now.

TS-316-2.jpg

Edit - and here is a shot of my new Loki along with the Vortex Alida cable.

P1020999.jpeg

Reviews upcoming for both over the coming weeks... looking forward to time with them over Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #91,569 of 106,628
What would you guys say is your best value IEM of the year? My vote would go to Butastur(drama not withstanding). But I do have an OD200 on the way. It was easy to YOLO on looking like such a complete package and with 10% off.
I'm hoping someone who loves mids will bring up the Wind.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #91,570 of 106,628
Just received a review set of Hidviz MS3(contacted me over Twitter/Xasking if I wanted to try them out) Once you get the tips dialed in got to say they are surprisingly good especially at the current sale price of £78
Reviewing these is going to be a pleasure

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #91,571 of 106,628
Rose Technics QuietSea for sure. Never expected to find an every day carry for 50 bucks. Next year will be spent on higher budget/quality/FEWER IEMs but I am on the move a lot and QuietSea just sounds great no matter what I throw at it, plus I’m not overly worried about being too careful with them.

My other answer would be Neo 5. Amazing IEM for under 300 bucks. Can’t wait for Quattro.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #91,572 of 106,628
Getting the Juzear 41t for $100 was my personal best value.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #91,573 of 106,628
I'm really enjoying OD200 also, and now have the EA1000 on the way - looking forward to hearing them.

The TIMSOK TS-316 landed on Wednesday and loving them, actually getting more of my time at the moment than the Kinera Loki which also arrived this week!

Very impressive set that definitely leans more towards musicality than technical prowess or analytical. Plenty of bass, sub digs nice and deep and a decent level of mid bass kick... mids have a smooth warmth to them, with excellent clarity and detail - ever so slightly pushed back or at least level, definitely not prominent. Treble extends reasonably well, but again not a focus area... stage isn't massive, but an excellent stereo field and easy to pinpoint instruments with great imaging and layering, albeit again less of a focus: this set for me is all about kicking back and enjoying the music... very addictive tuning - seductive, relaxing and yet highly engaging.

The cable is a bit of a pain in the behind though - stiff and unwieldly, so much that it kept pulling the IEM out of my right ear in particular! Needless to say I've switched to another from my collection.

Early days, but loving these so far and I've tested quite a few genres now.

TS-316-2.jpg

Edit - and here is a shot of my new Loki along with the Vortex Alida cable.

P1020999.jpeg

Reviews upcoming for both over the coming weeks... looking forward to time with them over Christmas!
Needed this Timsok review, So few reviews. How would you rate value and what iem might be a replication of the Timsok?

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #91,574 of 106,628

I can Imagine probably one between the ultra tiny and ultra cheap DD QuiteSea 40€, a solid Kiwi Ears Melody (as a little 12mm planar) 80€ or the rather impressive Quintet as a tiny hybrid, but a bit more expansive at 250€.

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #91,575 of 106,628
Needed this Timsok review, So few reviews. How would you rate value and what iem might be a replication of the Timsok?

The value bit is always tricky - especially with a single DD as diminishing returns very evident considering the quality available for a lot less. I prefer them to say the OD200, definitely a good step up, but whether they justify over twice the price is hard to call at this point.

I would immediately rate these above say the IE600 for example when taking a set at a similar price... while I found IE600 very good, they just didn't engage me the way these and many others do... I'm a big fan of the IE900, and was curious to hear the IE600 as a result, but sold them fairly quickly. This of course a very personal preference as I know the IE600 are loved by many, and I've read quite a few prefer vs IE900. They remind me a bit actually of the Xelento 2 with a step down in terms of imaging in particular, X2 is really excellent in that regard - but a similar very engaging signature.

A key indication for me with any new set is how often I choose to listen in the first week or so, especially when there has been other new arrivals. I keep reaching for TS-316, and Loki not getting much of my time! That being a $500 DD vs a $3,100 multi driver set... not saying it's better, but I keep getting drawn back to it - I'll have to hide it away and focus on Loki over the weekend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back