The discovery thread!
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #91,546 of 103,499
Agree. In fact everyone in my circle convinced me not to get it. But I like it :dt880smile: All points and comparisons in my review last year still hold, btw. It’s a niche recommendation (though it seems fc-construct and Precog like this IEM as well)
Indeed, it niche one but Harman stalwarts will surely love it. Especially if you are fan of Simgot's in house tuning or Moondrop's VDSF. They will feel that its definitely an upgrade sound for them.

Probably the Gaea is the best Harman-tuned set out there.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #91,547 of 103,499
Agree. In fact everyone in my circle convinced me not to get it. But I like it :dt880smile: All points and comparisons in my review last year still hold, btw. It’s a niche recommendation (though it seems fc-construct and Precog like this IEM as well)

Edit: Re: Monarch III: yup, that’s why my “job” is to describe, and readers can decide rather than taking my commentary as the conclusion about a piece of equipment. Personally, I think at AUD $1600, gears should be a bit quirky rather than clean, clear, and correct. Our brain would equalise the tonal difference quickly. That’s when the oddity creates interesting experiences.
That's why you are one of few reviewers that I'm always checking on and appreciate as you have a knack on describing tonal colours of each instruments and have an excellent perspective on technical performance, we are on the same page, mate. A fellow classical music fan will always admire his brethen that shares similar view point on timbre and tonality.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #91,548 of 103,499
It’s a divisive IEM for sure. I like it because it has wide soundstage and almost “forced/fake” clarity due to the tuning, which I enjoy. If you like your IEM to be mellow and warm, stay away from these. They would sound like banshee screeching to you.
That's a bummer. I've always had my eye on these because they are just beautiful and the paired cable is so nice. Definitely would not like them based on your description lol.

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #91,549 of 103,499
What would you guys say is your best value IEM of the year? My vote would go to Butastur(drama not withstanding). But I do have an OD200 on the way. It was easy to YOLO on looking like such a complete package and with 10% off.

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #91,550 of 103,499
PSX_20231221_193643.jpg

Geek Wold Gk200 arrived yesterday.

It cost me around 240$. Not even at this, but at 300$ price level I can say that Gk200 is definitely competitive. This set is very secure and will be liked by many as I don't feel the need of EQing these at all.

Very good cable, decent tips, and case came along with it. Build quality is impressive with that beautiful resin shells. Nozzle is really long and made me think that I won't have fit issue. However, I was wrong and this is surprising that it took me a while to find sth. Eventually I'm using tri clarion wide bore tips.

Gk200 has the best implementation of piezo drivers that I've ever heard. It comes so close, really really close to ESTs' resolving capacity.

I'm a lover of soundstage. These have big (even huge) holographic soundstage.

I'll go even further and note that I get 95% of the sound quality(joy, enjoyment or whatever you'd call) that I get from my TSMR Land which is 600$ iem. ESTs are giving an edge to the Land at the ultra high end frequencies, making it more resolving. Piezos are not up to that level and always been complained about their spicy presentation. However, gk200 is now a great example to show the capacity of piezos. If implemented well, they're actually not that limited and can be fun.

Of course there are other factors making Land better such as the three tuning switches (I use it with 010 which makes the soundstage huge) they have. But Land comes with a ridiculous case and cable which don't fit to its price level(see Fiio Fh9 with its crazy accessory package and cable at the same price level). Tuning switches help you customizing your iem but you always end up with one presentation or 1/2 additional one that you'll barely switch from time to time. With Gk200, I'd say Geek Wold chose a very likeable presentation and you wouldn't mind not having any switch at all.

Gk200 keeps everything balanced. Bass, mids, treble. Nothing stands out too much and making the rest shy. Great harmony and simply captures you in the music.

They will remain in my collection. After I make a comparison I'll say goodbye other IEMs in my collection starting with gk100 :)

Hopefully, I'll get back with more details after this quick impressions.

Wow nice, thanks for taking one for the team!

How does it compare to the GK100? The GK100 was really technical/analytical but it lacked note weight and came across as sterile. Timbre was a bit off and it may be too bright for treble-sensitive folk. However, I appreciate it is one of the most resolving sub $200 IEMs.

3B904D17-F806-46E0-8458-16BA07D80AC1.jpeg

New old toy. It’s the Effect Audio / Elysian Acoustic Labs Gaea, in case you haven’t seen it before.

It’s a divisive IEM for sure. I like it because it has wide soundstage and almost “forced/fake” clarity due to the tuning, which I enjoy. If you like your IEM to be mellow and warm, stay away from these. They would sound like banshee screeching to you.

Impressions from a recent visit at the local Addicted To Audio
I don't know but I'm not that really impressed on Gaea when I tested it last year. Typical harman-tuned. Female vocals sounds a bit scratchy and shrilly. A bit artificially and lean sounding to my ears.

Yeah I found the Gaea to be a shout fest. Boosted upper frequencies to give "fake resolution" as you say.

What would you guys say is your best value IEM of the year? My vote would go to Butastur(drama not withstanding). But I do have an OD200 on the way. It was easy to YOLO on looking like such a complete package and with 10% off.

If we are talking "best value", which I interpret as best price-to-performance ratio, my vote will go to the Simgot EW200.

356029056_654578589890924_9010161505379192889_n.jpg

It is a technical Harmanish IEM which costs $39.99 (cheaper during sales), very resolving for the price, but may be a bit shouty/bright in the upper mids.

I would describe it as a baby Tanchjim Oxygen, but for 5x cheaper. Tonally similar as the legendary Oxygen, but weaker in technical chops and timbre/refinement, a bit more shouty in the upper mids too. But for the price, the EW200 is not 5x inferior to the Oxygen, maybe not even 3x worse (ie huge diminishing returns from EW200 - > Oxygen).

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #91,551 of 103,499

For me, OD200 and Simgot EA1000. The fact that even after a month or two of owning these two, I listen to them daily. I don't feel the itch to move to a different iem when I am listening to any song on these two. I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my other kilobuck iems.

I don't know but I'm not that really impressed on Gaea when I tested it last year. Typical harman-tuned. Female vocals sounds a bit scratchy and shrilly. A bit artificially and lean sounding to my ears.
Does it need some really good sources to shine? Or it sounds this way on most of the sources?

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #91,552 of 103,499

As per my dataset, the value anomaly right now is the AFUL MagicOne.

If I forget the MagicOne, my vote would be TruthEar Zero Red. Its tuning is a statement that I hope more would follow.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #91,553 of 103,499
Does it need some really good sources to shine? Or it sounds this way on most of the sources?
It sounds just fine out of R3 II. The trick, to me, is deep fitting. Lee did a good job with taming the peaks so it’s not piercing, just thinner and brighter midrange. One thing that Precog mentioned is that the bass woofers of these Gaea sounds snappy but not rich. To me, it works well with the thinner midrange to create an aggressive dynamic sound.

Anyhow, niche recommendation. Only blind buy if you always agree with my reviews :dt880smile:

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #91,554 of 103,499
Reviewers rarely prefer to mention the real value disruptor, KZ!

If "Project Red" is ever mentioned as any great value (not to me, I got a pair for comparison/curiousity, and it is sitting unused now), then KZ Castors are super bingo value by far - above and beyond - get one or both depending on your preferences and play with switches as a bonus.

KZ ZAT are a great hybrid pair.
KZ AS24 are bingo/ace for my tastes, but AS16 pro are easier to recommend per value and universal preferences!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #91,555 of 103,499
As I just started this hobby in december 2022, 2023 has been a highlight in itself, so here are all the little products of audio joy:

1000010946.jpg

It's been a year of getting to know my preferences, therefore I'm hoping 2024 might be just a bit less expensive 🤞

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #91,556 of 103,499
I don't know if it really counts if it doesn't go on sale before year end, but for value, most definitely the Penon Quattro.

20231217_160623.jpg

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #91,557 of 103,499
Spent some time tonight digging through the graveyard wooden box, and I pulled out my KEF M100 and KEF M200.

Warm, lush mids, and bassy. These are opposite of my preference, but I still get enjoyment out of listening to these. I don't own any Penon IEM's, but I imagine these are near what they might sound like? Treble extension is there, and it's got some decent air, but it's not emphasized. It might even be called "tame". wide soundstage. Now interestingly enough, I got more details and picked up more instrument separation from the single dynamic M100 than I did the dual dynamic M200. What the DDD did provide was more bass slam, and a wider, more 3D picture than the M100, though tbh, the M100 is more in line with my preferential listen.

I pulled out the Tri Star River's afterwards. Silver, gold, and copper upgrade cable, with switches on full bass. Not as bad as what people have made them out to be, despite the missing mid bass (I find them to be very similar in tonality to the Salnotes Zero 1), but these are DDD like the M200, and the Zero is just a single DD. No excuse to me missing the mid bass punch. Totally opposite tuning experience to the M200, which is rich with mid bass, with no shoutiness in the highs, whereas the Star River can present some spikes in the treble, but it's not too bad as far as I'm concerned. Then I pulled out the Kiwi Ears Quartet. Hmmm. 1 hour of hip hop, and you know what? Not a bad listen. Bass bass bass, with little in terms of extension on the top end and detail retrieval. Swing them to classic rock tracks like Pink Floyd, Rush, April Wine, or Van Halen? Garbage. Metal? Didn't last 3 tracks in my ears before they had to go. #1 waste of money IEM for 2023. I'm switching over to the EW200. Now there's VALUE!

Dec 22, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #91,558 of 103,499

I've no bought many iems this year, but I can happily say the Aful P8 is the jewel in my collection. A detail monster.

Dec 22, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #91,559 of 103,499
For me, OD200 and Simgot EA1000. The fact that even after a month or two of owning these two, I listen to them daily. I don't feel the itch to move to a different iem when I am listening to any song on these two. I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my other kilobuck iems.

Tested them on my QP2R, LG phones and my dongle. Questyle M15.

Dec 22, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #91,560 of 103,499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back