The discovery thread!
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #90,856 of 106,700
I see he's struggling with describing that classic planar well controlled bass. Sometimes too much controlled that the delicious wet bass you're expecting interestingly stops at some point and you're left like 'ha?'. Could it be that maybe the dreams of the bassheads come from a little less controlled lower end with that sweet distortion? Maybe, i don't wanna speculate :)

He should see also from the graph that there's a slight roll off in the lower end so it needs to be EQ a little bit to get the best out of it.

Planars have that characteristic that the diaphragm will sit in its place much quicker than DDs. I might be explaining wrong so please take this with a pinch of salt. The ground is running through diaphragm and the magnets playing that pulling factor given certain energy coming through cable. I think the ones in front responsible for main kick towards the ear drum meanwhile the ones behind helping it take back to its origin. So the diaphragm is not going unnecessarily back end forth like in DDs. I believe it's harder to calm it down with a coil attached from behind only. Well the diaphragm is being hold by edges in planars so might say it's harder to do with it. Imho the more magnets(or the better) you use, the better control and less THD you manage.

I might be wrong again. I'd appreciate an acoustic engineer out there explaining us. :)

Mp 145 is indeed very spacious. He seems to like silver filter and actually that's only filter without any fabric mesh behind just the metallic filter visible in the end of the nozzle.

When I buy headphones, i always keep their box but sometimes if I see some usable material inside, I take them. For example these foams you see. I don't pay extra to buy cut nozzle foams from places like Ae. I rather use these depending on the characteristics and sound I manage to get.
IMG_20231207_221503.jpg
IMG_20231207_221347.jpg
I didn't like red filter. Too much dampening. Gold is fine but not quite there. With silver you're basically leaving your ear drum face to face with planar. What I did with mp145 is that I took out outside metallic filter and I inserted a light foam into the nozzle. I wouldn't use any filter at all but the design is stupid a little with nozzle+filter system. There's no lips that will hold the tips from sliding being stuck in your ear, so I have to have that filter on to stabilize the tips.
IMG_20231207_221359.jpg
Now mp145 has deeper bass slightly softened treble. I hear plenty of details. Sony and Jvc uses the foam trick quite a lot in their IEMs. And I know why. They're better a calming the treble meanwhile the soundwaves hitting that foam inner layers and dissolving nicely. Also it helps with driver flex. Foam compansates it a little.
See? You're a tuner now! Time to ask for your own collab!

brsdrgn x Simgot ??​

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #90,857 of 106,700
For those who're interested in DD under 1k, I made a video comparing FAudio Spring with Timsok TS-316. Feel free to check it out!

Will keep making more audition videos. Subscribe!

Thanks for sharing this.

From the reviews, I collect that TS316 has a better bass presentation and Spring is more technical. The latter is more airy, is better at detailing and has a wider soundstage too. So, I am more interested in the Spring.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #90,858 of 106,700
I also hope it's a real planar not a SPD or flat that more like a peizo fingers crossed

1701959671542.png

Bro, sadly this Moondrop May doesn't look like it is using a legit planar. It is one of those pseudo planar square driver thingies zzzzzz.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #90,859 of 106,700

Bro, sadly this Moondrop May doesn't look like it is using a legit planar. It is one of those pseudo planar square driver thingies zzzzzz.
Seems like a value product. I mean it could be good, I like the design language but I feel* that the piezo micro planars are sometimes good, and sometimes not.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #90,860 of 106,700
Still no update from PENON on the Quattro, last word was the DD for the highs were getting swapped out. So probably delayed for proper tuning.

Really looking forward to hearing this one of the rumors are true and it tuned more neutral ish!
:no_mouth:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4841#post-17855803

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4843#post-17856505

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4844#post-17856861

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #90,861 of 106,700
1701959671542.png

This one shouldn’t be expensive. It seems like the same kind of planar driver as the ones used by Phoenixcall.

Can you translate the text above the frequency response? The ones with DSP word in it?

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #90,862 of 106,700
This one shouldn’t be expensive. It seems like the same kind of planar driver as the ones used by Phoenixcall.

Can you translate the text above the frequency response? The ones with DSP word in it?

1702018200009.png

Above the FR..

Left:
Reproduce the sounds of nature
Excellent acoustic physical properties, high-performance DSP + rich team of acoustic
Engineers make "Mei" almost completely fit the VDSF Target Response

Right:
Ultra-low full-link nonlinear distortion
without missing a single detail
Ultra-low distortion dual-unit system + ultra-low-loss all-planar circuit
Ensure the purity of the tone

Yay Google Lens

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #90,863 of 106,700
I see he's struggling with describing that classic planar well controlled bass. Sometimes too much controlled that the delicious wet bass you're expecting interestingly stops at some point and you're left like 'ha?'. Could it be that maybe the dreams of the bassheads come from a little less controlled lower end with that sweet distortion? Maybe, i don't wanna speculate :)

He should see also from the graph that there's a slight roll off in the lower end so it needs to be EQ a little bit to get the best out of it.

Planars have that characteristic that the diaphragm will sit in its place much quicker than DDs. I might be explaining wrong so please take this with a pinch of salt. The ground is running through diaphragm and the magnets playing that pulling factor given certain energy coming through cable. I think the ones in front responsible for main kick towards the ear drum meanwhile the ones behind helping it take back to its origin. So the diaphragm is not going unnecessarily back end forth like in DDs. I believe it's harder to calm it down with a coil attached from behind only. Well the diaphragm is being hold by edges in planars so might say it's harder to do with it. Imho the more magnets(or the better) you use, the better control and less THD you manage.

I might be wrong again. I'd appreciate an acoustic engineer out there explaining us. :)

Mp 145 is indeed very spacious. He seems to like silver filter and actually that's only filter without any fabric mesh behind just the metallic filter visible in the end of the nozzle.

When I buy headphones, i always keep their box but sometimes if I see some usable material inside, I take them. For example these foams you see. I don't pay extra to buy cut nozzle foams from places like Ae. I rather use these depending on the characteristics and sound I manage to get.

I didn't like red filter. Too much dampening. Gold is fine but not quite there. With silver you're basically leaving your ear drum face to face with planar. What I did with mp145 is that I took out outside metallic filter and I inserted a light foam into the nozzle. I wouldn't use any filter at all but the design is stupid a little with nozzle+filter system. There's no lips that will hold the tips from sliding being stuck in your ear, so I have to have that filter on to stabilize the tips.

Now mp145 has deeper bass slightly softened treble. I hear plenty of details. Sony and Jvc uses the foam trick quite a lot in their IEMs. And I know why. They're better a calming the treble meanwhile the soundwaves hitting that foam inner layers and dissolving nicely. Also it helps with driver flex. Foam compansates it a little.
Thanks, great tip about using foam from the boxes.
Did you see that there is actually a small foam deep down in the nozzle? Michael Bruce did a mod where he removed that foam plus the screw on filter and he also plugged the front vent.

I will try your mod, but I don't want to destroy the nozzle filter so I will just leave it out completely.

Will also try to put foam in the Conch. I saw that Brad on FB Chifi Audio Reviews did that and it gave them quote "a more natural sound".

EDIT:
Foam in red nozzle fixed the Conch for me. Warmed them up a little and polished the sharp edges.
BTW, what's the point of having tuning nozzles if two out of three are useless? Blue and black are like putting tin cans in my ears. The tuner must be 90+ lol.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #90,864 of 106,700
Green and Purple make a good combination here. Got to try the Okavango thanks to @pradiptacr7 . This sounds silky smooth, like buttery smooth throughout the frequency band. Will listen more and share impressions later.

1702021730954.png

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #90,866 of 106,700

Above the FR..

Left:
Reproduce the sounds of nature
Excellent acoustic physical properties, high-performance DSP + rich team of acoustic
Engineers make "Mei" almost completely fit the VDSF Target Response

Right:
Ultra-low full-link nonlinear distortion
without missing a single detail
Ultra-low distortion dual-unit system + ultra-low-loss all-planar circuit
Ensure the purity of the tone

Yay Google Lens
Ordered one for the team 😂

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #90,867 of 106,700
Well, first impressions are super nice with the SuperTFZ Crown. A single full-range DD yet with both a sub-bass kick and a nice (forward) focused midrange and treble. First thing you notice is the big, big stage, offering a window down into the bass response, Yet also a fluid and comfortable midrange expanding way out into the stage. I won't say too much as they just came out of the postal box 10 minutes ago, but very very competitive, more separation than the SIMGOT AE1000, wild how far the bass is separated, this really does not sound like a single DD in any form or fashion? Nice separated treble elements too.....hard to put into perspective as yet, but I can say this will be an easy review to write. Better bass than the EA1000? Great timbre too. Probably the sub-bass that's the most fascinating at this point, I mean it all really works here? Warm and still exciting, but it's the separation and stage and imaging that is special here? Treble is not quite as separated as you might find with a Hybrid, yet it sounds totally correct timbre wise, but the Crown goes low into the bass.....that's why seeing the graph right off was a little miss-leading.
DSC_0447.jpegs.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #90,868 of 106,700
Dec 8, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #90,869 of 106,700
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #90,870 of 106,700
This is quite a different review article as this is my first review of a stereo amplifier, I hope that you like it mates, thanks

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fosi-audio-mc101.26884/

20231208_165218_HDR.jpg

It was nice getting an impression of BT Input -> Line Output for the MC101.
If you get a chance to connect some non-amplified speakers, please update the review.

One question - Don't the speaker outputs appear to be binding posts, rather than RCA jacks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back