The discovery thread!
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #90,571 of 101,497
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #90,572 of 101,497
Hello lads so I've received my Black Friday Haul, Hiby R6 Gen III DAP. And my current IEM is Kinera Imperial Urd, I love Urd's overall sound signature. Good Bass, lush mids and dark-ish treble, I'm quite treble sensitive and try to avoid fatiguing sets. However I find the Urd boring at times due to missing details and lack of treble extension, I really enjoyed the the treble of the BQEYZ Spring 2 for example.

I'm thinking about replacing my URD with the Penon 10th anniversary edition, as going by reviews it has more forward vocals and better treble extension, while still keeping the warm bassy profile of the URD. So should I get the Penon 10th anniversary, will it be a worthy upgrade or get a BQEYZ Wind instead along with my URD? Opinions will be really appreciated, cheers!

Attachments

• 20231205_183321-01.jpeg
    20231205_183321-01.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #90,573 of 101,497
Received this couple of hours back. So excited.

IMG_8697.jpeg

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #90,574 of 101,497
Hello lads so I've received my Black Friday Haul, Hiby R6 Gen III DAP. And my current IEM is Kinera Imperial Urd, I love Urd's overall sound signature. Good Bass, lush mids and dark-ish treble, I'm quite treble sensitive and try to avoid fatiguing sets. However I find the Urd boring at times due to missing details and lack of treble extension, I really enjoyed the the treble of the BQEYZ Spring 2 for example.

I'm thinking about replacing my URD with the Penon 10th anniversary edition, as going by reviews it has more forward vocals and better treble extension, while still keeping the warm bassy profile of the URD. So should I get the Penon 10th anniversary, will it be a worthy upgrade or get a BQEYZ Wind instead along with my URD? Opinions will be really appreciated, cheers!
I adore the 10th AE and highly rec it!
If you like lush vocals with a thick, textured bass and warm, smooth presentation, you can't do much better, IMO.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #90,575 of 101,497
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #90,576 of 101,497
I adore the 10th AE and highly rec it!
If you like lush and vocals with a thick, textured bass and warm, smooth presentation, you can't do much better, IMO.
Thanks for the rec mate, how the treble extension though and also the technicalties? Do you find the EST's are doing their thing?

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #90,577 of 101,497

I would go for the Wind, or DUNU Falcon Ultra both will hit your preferences. I have the 10th as well might be too spicy 4 U

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #90,578 of 101,497
to be honest, as a producer, I'd be a lot more interested in such a device than in a CD player, as cassette player produce an imperfect and saturated sound which can gives interesting results on some tracks, but also as a producer, I already own a bunch of VSTs that does the same thing for me :D

That being said, if the sound is somewhat interesting, and if it's not too pricey, I might get one to experiment a bit.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #90,579 of 101,497
If it also has some advanced direct drive tech similar to Sony’s and some of form of noise reduction, I’m in
At least it has auto reverse :) Hopefully the mechanism is robust.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #90,580 of 101,497
What happened with Oriveti thread ???
Glossing over this thread, and it really looks just like marketing. Anyone here actually PURCHASE these sets? Seems weird to get all 3 of their new products at once, it’s only power users talking about their bespoke cables…

These sets look interesting but the whole thing looks odd.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #90,581 of 101,497
I would go for the Wind, or DUNU Falcon Ultra both will hit your preferences. I have the 10th as well might be too spicy 4 U
Cheers for the rec mate, I feel Dunu Ultra is a downgrade to the URD. They have pretty similar sound tuning, what I'm missing in the URD like more forward and thicker vocals also better treble extension with more details, I doubt I will find with the Dunu Ultra.

Since you've owned both 10th AE and Wind, which one do you reckon does vocals better and also treble extension, details etc?

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #90,582 of 101,497
I didn't find the 10th to be spicy per se, but Wind might be a safer option if one is treble sensitive.
And yes, the ESTs definitely bring the special sauce.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #90,583 of 101,497
Glossing over this thread, and it really looks just like marketing. Anyone here actually PURCHASE these sets? Seems weird to get all 3 of their new products at once, it’s only power users talking about their bespoke cables…

These sets look interesting but the whole thing looks odd.
I bought the Oriveti OD200. Very good timbre, but a little hot in the upper mids. Once I smoothed that out with tips and cable, it showed itself to be an excellent set. A serious contender with other single DDs at that price.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #90,584 of 101,497
Just spent the last 45 minutes graphing the CCA Rhapsody, for the sake of audiophiledom! Have a migraine now LOL.

CCA Rhapsody.jpg

So this pokemon of the week is a 4 BA + 2 DD setup. Has (surprise surprise) 4 tuning switches to grant 16 tuning options.

So the tuning switches (unlike some previous iterations) do work in changing the sound, mostly at the lower mids to bass.

Will do some testing and report back.
Did you find a favorite out of those 16 combinations or is the Rhapsody a DUDD?
Maybe it's DUDU?

I guess it'd make sense to include a DAC/Amp so you can plug your phone or PC into it since cassettes are hard to come by nowadays.. or maybe it's just a charging port for the battery.

Nope, it's just for power. I zoomed in and the USB port label says "Power In."

Ok, new product idea for these portable hifi companies. A portable cassette player that doubles as a BT DAC/Amp. MAKE IT SO!

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #90,585 of 101,497
I bought the Oriveti OD200. Very good timbre, but a little hot in the upper mids. Once I smoothed that out with tips and cable, it showed itself to be an excellent set. A serious contender with other single DDs at that price.
Finally something that reads like an actual thought lol thank you. How is the fit? Comparable IEMs in fit and sound? Looks a bit like the S12, which were far too small for me…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back