The discovery thread!
Nov 9, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #88,276 of 106,698
Some maniac posted a DOME review here?
DSC_0092.jpeg23.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-dome-universal-hybrid-iem.26832/reviews#review-32148

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #88,277 of 106,698
Anyone have the Aful Magicone ? Is it release yet?

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #88,278 of 106,698
Was typing my impressions only haha. Sharing in my next message here.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #88,279 of 106,698
Got the MagicOne last week and then I have been listening to this set ever since then. Basically, I wasn’t expecting much because I mostly prefer either a single DD or hybrids, only a handful of multi-BA’s have gotten a space in my liking stage(like DUNU SA6 MK2, Sony M9, Soundrhyme SR8, 64audio u12t, etc.) But to my surprise, the pair sounded quite good. It has a precise and punchy bass(which I did not expect at all). It isn’t very slamming or bass-heavy, but the bass notes are precise and accurate. The midrange is clear and slightly recessed, vocals sound smooth and natural(The timbre here feels really solid with my Sony WM1A MK1). Treble is also decently presented, with cleaner extensions and smoother details.

Good things so far:-

>Instrument separation is really good.

>Tone and Timbre feel consistent and natural.

>Precise and accurate bass response, for a single BA this is really good.

>The balance between the three frequencies is very good.

Bad Things so far:-

>Requires a good amount of power to sound its best. Yes, my WM1A is not very powerful but still I need to push it to 100/120 on the standard 3.5mm high-gain output.

>Spent 3 hours yesterday finding other cons, but I couldn’t get enough of the smooth and musical sound of the set, so will share more in my final review in the next few days.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #88,280 of 106,698
That acoustic tubing does look like a person's guts.

Magic One is probably one of the more unique IEMs I've seen in a while but it allegedly costs $140 which is A LOT for a single BA config.

Aful priced their P8 at only $379, you'd think the single BA model would be around 60 bucks tops.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #88,281 of 106,698
Similar impressions with @gadgetgod. The instrument separation, note definition, detail, and imaging are all very good. The tonality and timbre are also surprisingly accurate and pleasant. Quite close to Supernova, though magic1 lacks the sub bass weight of supernova to complete the signature. The soundstage imaging is also surprisingly great. Front-to-back, left-to-right, low-to-high are all excellent. I'm revisiting violin concerti in my library just to see how they sound with this IEM.

My major disappointment so far is that this IEM is that it sounds noticeably better (at least under my scrutiny) when I switch from R3II to DX300. I'm not happy having to lug that DX300 brick around.

This IEM is more like AFUL showing off their R&D rather than trying to make a budget IEM, IMHO. Though, I can't help but wishing that they keep exactly the same tuning but let a pair of Sonion vented woofers (or whatever in-house BA they have) to handle the bass. With that configuration, they can safely retire the P5 and P8. Fingercrossed that they will go with this tuning rather than P8 for the flagship Cantor.

I haven't done careful A/B, but P8 is still more textured and micro-detailed when listening separately. I personally have no need for P5 anymore now that magic1 and P8 are available.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #88,283 of 106,698
Nov 9, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #88,284 of 106,698
Similar impressions with @gadgetgod. The instrument separation, note definition, detail, and imaging are all very good. The tonality and timbre are also surprisingly accurate and pleasant. Quite close to Supernova, though magic1 lacks the sub bass weight of supernova to complete the signature. The soundstage imaging is also surprisingly great. Front-to-back, left-to-right, low-to-high are all excellent. I'm revisiting violin concerti in my library just to see how they sound with this IEM.

My major disappointment so far is that this IEM is that it sounds noticeably better (at least under my scrutiny) when I switch from R3II to DX300. I'm not happy having to lug that DX300 brick around.

This IEM is more like AFUL showing off their R&D rather than trying to make a budget IEM, IMHO. Though, I can't help but wishing that they keep exactly the same tuning but let a pair of Sonion vented woofers (or whatever in-house BA they have) to handle the bass. With that configuration, they can safely retire the P5 and P8. Fingercrossed that they will go with this tuning rather than P8 for the flagship Cantor.

I haven't done careful A/B, but P8 is still more textured and micro-detailed when listening separately. I personally have no need for P5 anymore now that magic1 and P8 are available.
yessss, Like i said it demands power. It shines amazingly with my FiiO M15S, but I also find my Wm1A to be more handy for portable scenarios.

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #88,285 of 106,698
That acoustic tubing does look like a person's guts.

Magic One is probably one of the more unique IEMs I've seen in a while but it allegedly costs $140 which is A LOT for a single BA config.

Aful priced their P8 at only $379, you'd think the single BA model would be around 60 bucks tops.
Like @o0genesis0o mentioned, It's not about creating a single BA budget IEM, it looks like AFUL wants to show their R&D. Because it actually doesn't feel like a single BA IEM. It does give vibes like 3-4 drivers are doing their thing there(although I would say the resolution for a 4BA driver setup would be a little more crispier like the HiBy Yvain I recently auditioned).

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #88,286 of 106,698
Bought the Falcon Ultra and Alpha 3 buds for $242. Will like buy Simgot EA1000 or Moondrop Discdream with use of $100 dollar LEC from Linsoul. Likely it for me.

Good haul bro!

But it is not even 11/11 or Black Friday yet, so don't be too certain that you won't be buying more stuff.

ENDGAME IS A MYTH!

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #88,287 of 106,698
C'mon guys, let me know your bets.

Some tips:

- It has Switches
- Its an Hybrid
Let's play a game.

Anyone knows wich iem is this?

Screenshot_20231107_122221_Chrome.jpg

It looks dope, right?

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #88,290 of 106,698
Not sure how this Freya 2.0 will turn out. But the Freya 1 looked beautiful, but sounded like an epic banshee shoutfest:

Graph looks like Ayers Rock LOLOL. I still get PTSD remembering how it sounded in the ears!

Maybe having them today and re-listen will change your mind.

1000014924-01.jpeg

From a basslover.

- They got the "thump" not the "punch"
- More relaxed that It looks
- Nice for vocals, good position
- Air could be a little bit weird (also the presentation)

Btw. A little text from NwAvGuy

THE TIME FACTOR: Our brains are like leaky sieves when it comes to auditory details. We can’t possibly remember the massive amount of data contained in even one song (roughly equivalent to one million words!). So, here again, our brains out of necessity heavily filter what we remember. The students in the sight example above thought they had accurate memories of the thief but they turned out to be very wrong. The science shows our audio memory starts to degrade after just 0.2 seconds. So if switching from Gear A to Gear B requires more than a fraction of a second you’re losing more information. The longer the gap, the more you forget and the more bias distorts what you do remember.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back