The discovery thread!
Nov 7, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #88,216 of 106,603
I've not tried the Hodur.

The Simgot EA1000 is one of the most resolving DD sets (well it has a purported "passive radiator" tech too, so it ain't a pure DD). Very technical and even on the analytical side. Decent timbre. There are 3 tuning filters to play with but across most of them, it still may be a bit fatiguing if you are treble/upper mids sensitive (this is the Simgot house sound after all).

8 kHz is a coupler peak.

The Chopin is a hybrid with above average technicalities, very transparent sounding.

The contentious area in the tuning is the mid-bass scoop out. This is a double-edged sword, as it furnishes a very clean and fast bass, with zero mid-bass bleed. But the lower mids/mid-bass is anemic and it sounds sterile as a result. If you want a bit more heft in notes or listen to mid-bass focused genres like hip hop and EDM, the Chopin falls flat here. For music genres that it shines with eg Kpop, vocals, acoustic, OST etc it is excellent.

This is quite subjective, some consumers like sub-bass > mid-bass and vice versa, so YMMV.

Upper treble rolls off early, and one thing to note - the 12 ohm low impedance may not synergize well with sources with high output impedance. Anything higher than 1.5 ohms in the source output impedance might skew the frequency response. So do look into what source you are using.

I would call the Chopin a baby Moondrop Variations, so perhaps if someone wants a similar signature for cheaper, that is the way to go.

The Falcon Ultra is one of my favourite single DDs. It has 2 tuning nozzles to change the frequency response slightly, and is one of the most well accessorized IEMs I've come across. Look at the goodies:

Well of course accessories maketh an IEM not, so for the sound:
On blue filter: we have a very pleasant Harmanish balanced tonality, quite all-rounded signature
On the gold filter: we have a smooth and laid back bassy sound

For a single DD at midFI range, the technicalities are good, and it beats my previous daily driver, the Tanchjim Oxygen in this area. The blue filter is more resolving than the gold one. Timbre is very natural and the Falcon Ultra is easy to drive. In fact, I think cause of the highish sensitivity, it hisses a bit with sources with poor noise floor control.

This IEM is not for trebleheads, and the soundstage is a bit intimate, but otherwise, it has a very pleasant sound that allows one to use it for hours on end.

The blue mirror like finish is a scratch and finger print magnet though. I've babied it for months and always stored it in velvet lined cases when not in use, but somehow, I found micro-scratches on it one day!
Second the falcon. Just lovely, high quality, and "unpretentious" without the trendy (and maybe somewhat misguided?) lower-mid dip. One can choose between "Harman-neutral" (stock nozzle) and a warmer, less shouty but still neutral tuning (the golden nozzle). I kept mine permanently on the Fiio bluetooth ear hooks.

IMHO, the 250Hz dip is not the right choice to reproduce orchestra correctly. Cellos do not sound like cellos but more like a low pitched, hollow violin with this tuning. Even female vocal lacks the necessary weight and warmth. If the IEM has good enough implementation, it does not need this artificial thinning to sound resolving.

That said, the EA1000 looks super interesting.

Edit: @WAON303 I suggest holding on with the AFUL P8. The flagship Cantor shouldn't be too far in the future and maybe you might be able to get that on a discount in 6 months or so. The P8 is detailed for sure. Nice and tight (but not weak) bass. But that stage is just so so. I blame the QDC-inspired tuning. The Magic1 shows that AFUL has learned how to do proper stage and tuning, so let's wait for Cantor and see how it goes. I might cancel my Gaea purchase to wait for Cantor as well.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #88,217 of 106,603
I've not seen any recommendations for Juzear 41t. Is it not so good or just not hyped enough?

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #88,218 of 106,603
I've not seen any recommendations for Juzear 41t. Is it not so good or just not hyped enough?
It had a fair amount of hype when it was released. I feel like it has generally good reviews but some don't seem to care for it much. It's been on my radar to try but haven't got around to it yet.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #88,219 of 106,603
It didn’t have the noisy recommendation that Sound Rhyme SR5 got but I preferred the 41T definitively

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #88,220 of 106,603
1699417146851.png

1699417246044.png

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #88,221 of 106,603
Top: Penon Orb, Penon Globe and Penon Volt
Bottom: Penon 10th Anniversary and Penon Dome
DSC_0195.jpegsw.jpeg

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #88,222 of 106,603
DSC_0199.jpegAA.jpeg

DSC_0198.jpegW.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #88,223 of 106,603
Finally bought a Questyle M15 @ audio46, can finally replace my old Fiio KA3 soon.

For 11.11, I'm looking at the Moondrop S8 or Performer 8, everything else I could maybe get like a u12t or IE600 is not chi-fi.

Seems like the Moondrop S8 is being discontinued, Linsoul and Hifigo don't have any stock left.

I've heard the Aful Performer 8 is very detailed, like not that far from the Moondrop S8 which is often touted as the most detailed IEM under $1,000.

I can see why people are saying it's not worth spending more than $500 on IEMs anymore
Such a wonderfully contrasted view to the one at 'The Watercooler thread' where people are restlessly pushing their agenda of making everyone feel bad about their sub-kilobuck sets.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #88,224 of 106,603
My discovery of the year: ivipQ V12

It was a snap decision to buy and I have to admit I am impressed with this set.As you can see, I am still cable rolling and have not decided on the proper tips:

small.jpg

Not the bassiest set, but with the Tempotec V6 it is nice.
The amount of details and layering this set does for my ears is staggering and highly satisfactory.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #88,225 of 106,603
My discovery of the year: ivipQ V12

It was a snap decision to buy and I have to admit I am impressed with this set.As you can see, I am still cable rolling and have not decided on the proper tips:

small.jpg

Not the bassiest set, but with the Tempotec V6 it is nice.
The amount of details and layering this set does for my ears is staggering and highly satisfactory.
My set need some hours to unlock more bass.

That iem at 140€ is a solid pick.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #88,226 of 106,603
DSC_0204.jpegqq.jpeg

Some may think this list is overly enthusiastic, some may think it's insane. But the Dome is so well rounded that this is not a cable battle, but rather cable wine tasting.

Top to bottom:
ISN G4 (Graphene)
Penon ASOS
Penon Bass
Penon OSG (Graphene)
Penon Vocal
Penon Leo Plus
Penon Mix with Rhodium Plug

Penon Space
DSC_0216.jpega.jpeg

DSC_0211.jpegz.jpeg

DSC_0217.jpeg1.jpeg

DSC_0212.jpega.jpeg

DSC_0214.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_0208.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_0213.jpegq.jpeg

DSC_0206.jpegs.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #88,227 of 106,603
And now for something completely different:

Shozy T1 (seems to be only available on Ali):
I still do not know why, I ordered the Shozy Black Hole Mini.
Long story short, a fantastic single dd iem. Browsing again I saw the T1.

small.jpg

A Black Hole Mini with a plastic shell?
To my (uneducated) ears it seems so.

So get the iems for less than 30 Euros, add a cable to your liking and tips as needed (I always need [X]L) and you have a very engaging thumping set for less than 50 Euro / Dollars / Swiss Francs.
To me fantastic for general enjoyment, just "easy listening" at its best.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #88,228 of 106,603
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #88,229 of 106,603

Users who are viewing this thread

Back