The discovery thread!
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #86,821 of 101,232
CDs are great if you're into very obscure music which may never be re-released online.

I personally love physical media which is why I got into CD collecting years ago.

Same goes for vinyl records, but you do need to spend some nice money on a turntable to rip records from what I know, vinyl is also a hell lot more expensive on shipping especially if you import stuff from overseas.

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #86,822 of 101,232
Three good hybrids there 😁
Still want to try SR7, been so impressed by dte900 and want to test more.

My guess is no winner and depends on preference?
SR7 most warm and laid back.
Neo5 most clean vocals.
Okavango most detailed and warm.

Okavango and Neo5 are both great in my book, checks most boxes both of them.
Could have liked more air on Okavango, and more treble on Neo5. Fit depends, slightly to small for my large ears Neo5. While Okavango fit perfectly, for others Neo5 can be safest.

Totally true, that it is subjective preference probably to which one is preferred over another......none are best? Still the other thing is each IEM in the list would be short-changed by judging the measured response from a graph, as we all know graphs are only a portion of the IEM understanding. Things like timbre, stage, itemization or lack of itemization can't be learned from graphs. None of the imaging characteristics or pace characteristics can be learned. Though what is interesting from the graph is (if the graph is correct and accurate) that they share many subtle things in common? That and listening in general that they are in some ways the same.....a little. Where the Okavango is the cleanest and clearest, the Neo5 the most bass emphasized, and even though the Okavango shows (in the graph) more bass than the SR7, it does not sound that way in life? But that lower midrange shown (in the graph) for the Neo5 is absolutely not how it sounds........you must agree?

Subjective playback comparisons of all three in the works................

Though I have to say right here and now that this sub $400 Hybrid level of IEMs is gaining on both musicality and technicalities from what was on offer in 2021........way better involvements and pizzaz!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #86,823 of 101,232
DSC_0017.jpegw.jpeg

Top left to right Simgot EM6L and Simgot EA500.
Bottom left to right 7Hz Sonus and TANGZU Fudu.

Strangely I like the TANGZU FUDU a little less than the 7Hz Sonus? Contrary to weeks ago, as first impressions only go so far to paint real reality? 7Hz did better with top-end details.......and the whole thing smoothed-out with burn-in and mental adaptation?

TANGZU FUDU 4.5 stars?
7Hz Sonus 5 stars?

DSC_0048.jpegee.jpeg

Ya see 7Hz went there with the Sonus to a place where the treble was both staged well and while detailed not necessarily too bright. Where the TANGZU Fudu, and Simgot EM6L stayed safe, and the Simgot EA500 went overboard.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #86,824 of 101,232
It seems these new DSP cables are the rage?

But they alter the sound? At least in my experience they do, if you value that (sound) is a question of taste? Sounds like Home Theater?
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 10.16.24 AM.png

Moondrop Free DSP USB-C Earphone Cable​

USB-C EARPHONE UPGRADE CABLE (NOTE: EARPHONES ARE NOT INCLUDED.)​

• Low Distortion
  • Silver-Plated Design
  • Effortless Audio Control
  • USB-C Wired Connection
$29.99 USD

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #86,825 of 101,232
It seems these new DSP cables are the rage?

But they alter the sound? At least in my experience they do, if you value that (sound) is a question of taste? Sounds like Home Theater?

Moondrop Free DSP USB-C Earphone Cable​

USB-C EARPHONE UPGRADE CABLE (NOTE: EARPHONES ARE NOT INCLUDED.)​

• Low Distortion
  • Silver-Plated Design
  • Effortless Audio Control
  • USB-C Wired Connection
$29.99 USD
$29.99?
But, but I thought the cable was FREE?!?
OR... Is the DSP free and the USB-C connector $29.99?
:money_mouth:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #86,826 of 101,232
I actually do have quite a few CDs that aren't on streaming services so yea, I've been interested in the new ones coming out.

In a different issue, right now my dillema being most music that i listen is youtube concert clips or covers.
Its not gonna on CD or spotify/tidal.

$29.99?
But, but I thought the cable was FREE?!?
OR... Is the DSP free and the USB-C connector $29.99?
:money_mouth:
Moondrop is selling cable like any other cable makers,
its just this one have dsp usb-c end instead of 3.5mm or 4.4mm

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #86,827 of 101,232
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #86,828 of 101,232
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #86,829 of 101,232
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #86,830 of 101,232
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #86,831 of 101,232
Totally true, that it is subjective preference probably to which one is preferred over another......none are best? Still the other thing is each IEM in the list would be short-changed by judging the measured response from a graph, as we all know graphs are only a portion of the IEM understanding. Things like timbre, stage, itemization or lack of itemization can't be learned from graphs. None of the imaging characteristics or pace characteristics can be learned. Though what is interesting from the graph is (if the graph is correct and accurate) that they share many subtle things in common? That and listening in general that they are in some ways the same.....a little. Where the Okavango is the cleanest and clearest, the Neo5 the most bass emphasized, and even though the Okavango shows (in the graph) more bass than the SR7, it does not sound that way in life? But that lower midrange shown (in the graph) for the Neo5 is absolutely not how it sounds........you must agree?

Subjective playback comparisons of all three in the works................

Though I have to say right here and now that this sub $400 Hybrid level of IEMs is gaining on both musicality and technicalities from what was on offer in 2021........way better involvements and pizzaz!
I absolutely love my SR7s with many months of use now. One of those insane great iems that are priced just right to let me knock around, travel, hit the beach/pool, and be so happy. I'll take Xe6 sitting at home, but SR7 goes anywhere and still keeps me happy.

Sep 29, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #86,832 of 101,232
I absolutely love my SR7s with many months of use now. One of those insane great iems that are priced just right to let me knock around, travel, hit the beach/pool, and be so happy. I'll take Xe6 sitting at home, but SR7 goes anywhere and still keeps me happy.
Right, they are not so expensive that you are crazy about holding them, like a wedding cake or newborn baby. Yet they are wonderfully musical.....that like to go anywhere you go!

Sep 29, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #86,833 of 101,232
Beryllium for $30 USD?
Kbear have one of the best berrylium 1DD iem with the discontinued KBear BEleive
So they know the how to built and good one.

But recently KBear tuning and iems have been underperforming, hopefully this one will turns out well.

Sep 29, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #86,834 of 101,232
HiBy R3 II and HiBy Yvain in for review.

The R3 II was quite fun in that it turned-on while I was trying to put it into its case for a photo. Then I ran over and got a memory card from my phone....to hear it play.......because.........why not? Sounds great, way better than a Apple Dongle but not quite what my WM1A or WM1Z are like......but fine. A nice bit of musical authority, especially for the small size and ergonomics.

The Yvain IEMs are just in, no word on pricing as yet. Four BA, super careful and complete sound signature, don't know what to say they sound like, yet?
DSC_0239.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_0228.jpegqw.jpeg

Here is a Youtube review which does a great job explaining the R3 II........ I'm not sure I can ever do better?
@ o0genesis0o

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back