The discovery thread!
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #83,791 of 106,857
Correctamundo. Also, for what it’s worth, I feel like HeadFi hasn’t been updated in close to a decade either. If it has, it’s very subtle. I’ve been a member since 2014 and the forums look pretty much identical. What the hell does that matter anyways? 😅 @Surf Monkey

Be chill. I’m not looking for a fight. I just perceive the software over there as unattractive and difficult to use.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #83,792 of 106,857
Be chill. I’m not looking for a fight. I just perceive the software over there as unattractive and difficult to use.
No worries, man. I’m chill as a cucumber. Nothing wrong with your opinion. I just happen to disagree.

Happy listening

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #83,794 of 106,857
new budget NiceHCK YD-520 ($12, 1DD bullet iem)
Ali

1690168687597.png1690168818310.png

obligatory waifu,

1690168774954.png
An IEM in a range that will come and go, and nobody will pay much heed to it. This sector is so flooded and bogged down, that it could appear in Waterworld lock step. Remember that classic? This one will be remembered as clearly.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #83,795 of 106,857
An IEM in a range that will come and go, and nobody will pay much heed to it. This sector is so flooded and bogged down, that it could appear in Waterworld lock step. Remember that classic? This one will be remembered as clearly.
Waterworld was a good movie.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #83,796 of 106,857
Come on over to HFGFs 🤝
Many reviewers have migrated there. Interesting to see what they actually say when they are not here any more :dt880smile:

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #83,797 of 106,857
Many reviewers have migrated there. Interesting to see what they actually say when they are not here any more :dt880smile:
A lot more truth will be stated, I know that for a fact.

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #83,798 of 106,857
A lot more truth will be stated, I know that for a fact.
Oh, wow, reviewers of free samples are becoming more revealing somewhere else, what an intrigue, LOL...

"Influencers" (and I despise both the term and the concept) have their own websites/channels that are "followed", the smaller fish in the pond should realize their place.

I am by no means affiliated with any resources here or out there.
I just thought that the appearance of that site is too funky/modern for my simple tastes/preferences - if it is actually obsolete, hyper funny indeed :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #83,800 of 106,857
Which kind of displays why reviews are generally bogus. An honest reviewer would say the same things about a set publicly and behind the scenes.
Not about the set. About manufacturers. And website.

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #83,802 of 106,857
One could easily argue that those impressions are part of a review. If a manufacturer is problematic consumers should know about that.
Well, the fact that a manufacturer/retailer is kind/ass-y to me as a reviewer has nothing to do with the product, IMHO. I can dislike a retailer and still recommend their IEMs, which I sometimes do. Vice versa sometimes happen as well.

At the end of the day, people choose what they buy. If I have a chance to listen to something earlier than others, then the way I pay back to the community is giving them a clear impression what this thing sounds, and pay back to manufacturers by giving them clear, detailed, somewhat brutal feedback if necessary for them to tune the next one. If they want me to be their “marketing material”, please do a good job with the IEM.

My two cents.

Jul 24, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #83,803 of 106,857
A solid reviewer will be 100% honest no matter where they are. The difference is a lot of the honest reviewers I follow, do not hang around HeadFi. I'm not trying to insinuate something by any means, so I'll just come out and say it. I think this site can be toxic as can be. Between people who are in bed with various brands and websites, to literal trolls who create issues for no reason. It's fairly easy to distinguish someone whos filling their pockets with brand deals, saving money with huge discounts, or just straight up getting free examples from certain websites and companies just due to the sheer fact that everything that comes across their desk from that particular company is a 5/5.

Maybe they're afraid of being cut off from the free examples? Or maybe it's part of their contract. I genuinely don't know. But I will say it can come off as very disingenuous toward newcomers to the hobby, causing them to spend money on unnecessary things. Obviously, we're all adults and we can choose whether to buy something or not, however, that doesn't excuse the nasty tactics at play.

Jul 24, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #83,804 of 106,857
A solid reviewer will be 100% honest no matter where they are. The difference is a lot of the honest reviewers I follow, do not hang around HeadFi. I'm not trying to insinuate something by any means, so I'll just come out and say it. I think this site can be toxic as can be. Between people who are in bed with various brands and websites, to literal trolls who create issues for no reason. It's fairly easy to distinguish someone whos filling their pockets with brand deals, saving money with huge discounts, or just straight up getting free examples from certain websites and companies just due to the sheer fact that everything that comes across their desk from that particular company is a 5/5.

Maybe they're afraid of being cut off from the free examples? Or maybe it's part of their contract. I genuinely don't know. But I will say it can come off as very disingenuous toward newcomers to the hobby, causing them to spend money on unnecessary things. Obviously, we're all adults and we can choose whether to buy something or not, however, that doesn't excuse the nasty tactics at play.
The concept of a "honest reviewer" evokes the sentiments of both Don Quixote and a good old tale of H.Ch. Andersen "The Emperor's Cloth".

I have been an adult and a professional in my field when I waisted my money just entering this hobby, based on the reviews out there.

The reviewers are sent free samples because it is a profitable business. Plain simple and irrefutable economics.

Yet, the ever increasing sheer number of aspiring reviewers competiting for the shrinking crumbles of this pie, somewhat like piranhas in a tank, makes me concerned and sad, especially for those purchasing their "TOTLs" like other "influencers' in a faint hope to become like them :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #83,805 of 106,857
Here's a good start to Monday, arriving before noon, my new shiny, Nightjar Singularity!

As others have reported, this one seems magical, even right out of the box! Destroys my Tremolo, can't believe it's a single DD, what insane coherence. This will be a fun burn-in! This set is going to fast become a hit at this price point with this TOTL performance!

I ordered the bifrost upgrade cable, but it's delayed, so using the excellent stock cable for now...which seems to be an amazing pairing! Thanks to @Chang and his team for their assistance, great communication and help! They made me feel in very good hands!

Bravo, Nightjar, you have, indeed, created a Singularity, and maybe a Uniqity!
20230724_113925.jpg
20230724_114325.jpg
20230724_124227.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back