The discovery thread!
Jan 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #813 of 106,677
Just got the SHE9700 from AwesomeService123 on amazon, I am returning them as they were not new, check yours carefully if you bought from that particular seller.  I had wear spots on the bottom right earpiece and either glue or ear wax on the outside rim of the screen mesh.  So I didn't even have a listen.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #814 of 106,677

Quote:
Anyone here heard the Brainwavz Betas and know how they compare to the SHE3580s?

Not sure if I *need* another pair of IEMs but...there's an itch.

$10? I bet you have never heard a earphone this cheap that sounds this good. Never had the betas but I bet these will give those a run for not only sounds but I truly doubt the sub bass will be better. I have full sized basshead cans that can't do better. I prefer the bass on the SHE3580 over my Ultrasone DJ1 actually.. While those have plenty of punch the sub bass is not bad but not great. The SHE3580 however. It has to be experienced. eQ them and I guarantee these will satisfy any bass head.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #815 of 106,677
Ordered a set of the Phillips. Don't really see a point in "bass head" headphones, but hopefully they are balanced enough for my liking. At least these should fit better than the Monoprice 8320's. Got them from Amazon with free 2day shipping. Should be here Saturday.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #816 of 106,677

Quote:
Just got the SHE9700 from AwesomeService123 on amazon, I am returning them as they were not new, check yours carefully if you bought from that particular seller.  I had wear spots on the bottom right earpiece and either glue or ear wax on the outside rim of the screen mesh.  So I didn't even have a listen.

Nothing says awesome service like a used product. Lol!. Thats not good. My particular one came with the back of the plastic/back board the earphones came in completely off. My initial thought was these were open. But on careful inspection nothing on the inside was touched so I kept them. They did look like they have been sitting around a shop for a long time though.  One bit of warning to guys. I do believe these SHE9700 are discontinued phones and are left over product from 2004-2007ish.  So if you do plan on getting one. Get one soon as once they sell out of them I truly doubt these will be available at all...

Why should you care? Well even though these SHE9700 was out before the SHE3580..I am thinking they took the same driver on them and threw them in a smaller driver case that is now the SHE3580. The sound is identical but the SHE9700 has the better housing design for a bit better acoustics and dynamics on both ends. So naturally to the guys that try out the SHE3580 and like them would also  like the SHE9700. But how many that are out there for the consumer to purchase? The SHE9700 was never a popular phone as they were pack in phones Philips threw into their MP3s back in the day. We all know how we feel about pack in earphones but these are truly awesome.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #817 of 106,677

Same here. But a different vendor via Amazon. They were "new" with no retail packaging. They came in a ziplock with one set of tips that had ear wax on them! Ha. But for $9.49 shipped, I didn't expect much.

On a side note, I'm wondering about the 9800... But can't find them anywhere but eBay and they are pricey.

Quote:

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #818 of 106,677
So the Isurus came in this morning. I've only had about 10 minutes with it with stock large tips. First (and I mean first) initial thoughts is that the sound is "quite nice" for a $20 IEM (what I paid for it). Of course, no burn-in yet, but I can hear its potential. The bass is plentiful; the mids are forward enough with nice vocals; and the treble doesn't bother me (some say it's shrill and too thin, but I don't hear the shrill sound or that its thin yet. I'm not huge on treble anyway, but would notice if it was too harsh).

What I'm getting at is that I can hear the potential in these earphones. Will it get up to GR07 quality? I highly doubt it. But I can see it competing with many of the $100 IEMs out here now. It's really a nice clear and detailed dynamic (not as clear as the GR07 or FXT90 ....yet). At $20 you can't beat it as a bang-for-the-buck in my limited time with it.

The mic - as expected - doesn't work with my cellphone, but the instructions clearly states that it would only with certain cellphones depending on the configuration. Not a big deal for me. I'm just mentioning this in case some of you think that is a defect in the phones,  which is not. More thoughts later with burn-in, different tips and some quality time. Nice fine @ Dsnuts....

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #819 of 106,677
Forgot to add that the packaging is quite nice and way more than I expected for such a cheap pair of IEMs. It also comes with a nice pleather carrying case...

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #820 of 106,677
Eric, A. Headphones are mechanical, therefore you can't burn them in, which is a digital/optical term. Drivers do break in, but it happens within the first few hours of operation, and the difference is inaudible. What you're experiencing is your mind adjusting to the sound signature. You will not hear any difference now, or 100 hours later.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #821 of 106,677

Quote:
Eric, A. Headphones are mechanical, therefore you can't burn them in, which is a digital/optical term. Drivers do break in, but it happens within the first few hours of operation, and the difference is inaudible. What you're experiencing is your mind adjusting to the sound signature. You will not hear any difference now, or 100 hours later.

XanderTJ, thank you for your input, but this belief/theory or whatever you want to call it has been debated ad nauseam for years now hear on head.fi.org. I do not agree with your belief that I'm experiencing my "mind adjusting to the sound signature." Actually, I know that is rubbish. Anyway, I believe in burn-in and it has been proven to me over and over again. I do not wish to get into a debate with you or anyone else about this. It's fine if you don't believe in it. Happy listening...
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #823 of 106,677

Quote:

In the case of  Isurus,  after 150horas Burn-in, it burn simbilance, and made the sound more analytical.

Also because of their poor insulation, change much through the tips.

I have done some experiments, and the last bag was the plasticine over Isurus, now nearly all sound enters my ears.

You must be careful  to not cover the micro hole in house, under the tip, if dont want lose analytical sound , taping that hole increases the sub-bass and warm the sound.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #824 of 106,677

Quote:

Break in is a mechanical term. Don't drive your brand new car above a certain speed for a few hundred miles has to do with break in. Your new shoes becoming less rigid and more comfortable as they break in is also mechanical. Headphones are mechanical so you can't break them in(burn in as we refer to it)? The logic doesn't quite follow for me
confused_face.gif
. Then you say drivers do break in(semantics since break and burn are both accepted terms) but you can't hear it. Nothing good comes from telling people what they can and can't hear. A bit audio snobbish with strict the audio terminology(when you know what people mean) and telling them what they should or shouldn't hear.

Funny how the mind adjusting thing is used and that is even more out there. Break in can be explained and has some physical basis in fact. Yet delving into the mind processes of different brains and how people different perceive and adjust which can be way more varying that a simple headphone driver is many times put forth as the likely explanation. You know the size of a driver and possibly its construction and you have some facts vs. someone you know relatively nothing about let alone how their mind works and processes things. Isn't is usually the simpler answer. Never got that. If the hearing changes from burn in is not accepted the mind adjusting thing needs to be thrown out as well, no. 

So, they are both equally invalid thus drop it all together.  

Back to the topic. These Tt, Philips, etc. are good sounding phones for cheap you say, huh?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #825 of 106,677

Quote:
So the Isurus came in this morning. I've only had about 10 minutes with it with stock large tips. First (and I mean first) initial thoughts is that the sound is "quite nice" for a $20 IEM (what I paid for it). Of course, no burn-in yet, but I can hear its potential. The bass is plentiful; the mids are forward enough with nice vocals; and the treble doesn't bother me (some say it's shrill and too thin, but I don't hear the shrill sound or that its thin yet. I'm not huge on treble anyway, but would notice if it was too harsh).

What I'm getting at is that I can hear the potential in these earphones. Will it get up to GR07 quality? I highly doubt it. But I can see it competing with many of the $100 IEMs out here now. It's really a nice clear and detailed dynamic (not as clear as the GR07 or FXT90 ....yet). At $20 you can't beat it as a bang-for-the-buck in my limited time with it.

The mic - as expected - doesn't work with my cellphone, but the instructions clearly states that it would only with certain cellphones depending on the configuration. Not a big deal for me. I'm just mentioning this in case some of you think that is a defect in the phones,  which is not. More thoughts later with burn-in, different tips and some quality time. Nice fine @ Dsnuts....

I am glad these are to your liking.. These were completely overlooked by everyone on the planet before I got my hands on one. But you can see why I have decided to introduce them to the community. It is well deserving. Give them some quality burn in time and try out some other tips. I really like that foam tip that came with my GR07. I recently ordered some similar looking foam products but several that work are bi flanges, foam type and hybrids. I noticed if you get a tip with a smaller outlet hole than the driver size these are ideal for better sound on them..

I don't think these are for everyone but for guys that like the dynamic driver sounds..These are solid imo. I read that you are a percussion guy as so you will definitely enjoy these.. I love how I can make out every high hat note and pitch with clarity on these.  I know you are a man with many a high end iem and I was hoping these would not disappoint..Enjoy a new phone that don't cost much..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back