The discovery thread!
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,221 of 102,386
Quote:
Guys, I just got a pair of Hifiman HE-400 velour pads in the mail today......$16 shipped, you gotta try these on the Somic's! The soundstage has really expanded, and the sound has balanced out perfectly neutral. I can not believe what a beautiful sound I am getting, but consider I also modded wire/cable. The velour pads fit around ear, are much cooler and more comfortable than the 840 pads, HM5 pads, M50 pads, and stock pads. I'm hooked.....bought these for the MH463's that I have on order, but I will surely be ordering a couple more pair of the velours. The fit a little loose, but they stay on. I have some O rings I am going to try later to see if they will fit a little more secure. Can't believe I am getting bigger soundstage, better imaging, and more detail......thought I maxxed out on that with the HM5 and 840 pads. Definately more details in the highs, and better layering all round, bass slightly tighter good quality and quantity!

Cute my man, these somics has longgggggggg passed their heyday. They are so last month and you know how fast this Discovery thread goes. They have had their day in the limelight and they are what they are, budget-fi stuff that is good at the $50ish level, but there are much better sounding gear at the $100 level these days. It's time to let go of them and move on, cuz even cash might have already done so since he haven't been talking about them for some time now.

It's great that you are able to mod them to your liking and thanks for sharing, not sure about others but i am no longer interested in them. Sorry to be so blunt but that's how i feel anyways.............................

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #8,222 of 102,386
Quote:
Guys, I just got a pair of Hifiman HE-400 velour pads in the mail today......$16 shipped, you gotta try these on the Somic's! The soundstage has really expanded, and the sound has balanced out perfectly neutral. I can not believe what a beautiful sound I am getting, but consider I also modded wire/cable. The velour pads fit around ear, are much cooler and more comfortable than the 840 pads, HM5 pads, M50 pads, and stock pads. I'm hooked.....bought these for the MH463's that I have on order, but I will surely be ordering a couple more pair of the velours. The fit a little loose, but they stay on. I have some O rings I am going to try later to see if they will fit a little more secure. Can't believe I am getting bigger soundstage, better imaging, and more detail......thought I maxxed out on that with the HM5 and 840 pads. Definately more details in the highs, and better layering all round, bass slightly tighter good quality and quantity!

Thanks for the info cute. I use my Somics daily and they're great for watching movies too.
The Shure pads get pretty hot after a while so I'll try these.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #8,223 of 102,386
Quote:
Cute my man, these somics has longgggggggg passed their heyday. They are so last month and you know how fast this Discovery thread goes. They have had their day in the limelight and they are what they are, budget-fi stuff that is good at the $50ish level, but there are much better sounding gear at the $100 level these days. It's time to let go of them and move on, cuz even cash might have already done so since he haven't been talking about them for some time now.

It's great that you are able to mod them to your liking and thanks for sharing, not sure about others but i am no longer interested in them. Sorry to be so blunt but that's how i feel anyways.............................

When will you learn sf.........it takes a good cable!  Mine sound very close to my HD600 and HD580 with the Cardas Litz wire I use to mod.  With the Hifiman pads they are that much better.  No budget hifi for me....and the base headphones are crap without my mod, I would have sold them weeks ago without the mods.  The wire upgrade is a $100, so see they are no longer budget, but up there with $200 - $300 phones, but a half the price.  I can do way more for the sound with wire than you do with your cotton and q-tips!
biggrin.gif

Now, quit bashing what you have not heard!  If I haven't given up on them they are still in my "limelight", besides, I don't see where you have or had the EFi82 MT, just the old model MH463, my friend!  I said they were better than the AD900X for me, when I had those, and that was before my latest improvements.  The AD900X around the $200 mark just don't compare with their thin, unnatural sound!

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #8,224 of 102,386
Quote:
Now, quit bashing what you have not heard!  If I haven't given up on them they are still in my "limelight", besides, I don't see where you have or had the EFi82 MT, just the old model MH463, my friend!  I said they were better than the AD900X for me, when I had those, and that was before my latest improvements.  The AD900X around the $200 mark just don't compare with their thin, unnatural sound!

They grow some pretty good ganja there in Minnesota methinks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #8,226 of 102,386
Quote:
That VGP magazine is definitely great. If you want I can translate the ratings from the magazine for you guys. 

Yes please do. The ATH-CK90PROMK2 seems interesting in particular. It's a (relatively) old dual BA that seems to have been completely skipped over here, but it comes out on top over stuff like the XBA-30 and FXZ200? Sounds like a hidden gem that needs to be discovered! Not by me though, I'm perfectly happy with my CKN70s and XBA-30s, TYVM
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #8,228 of 102,386
Quote:

When will you learn sf.........it takes a good cable!  Mine sound very close to my HD600 and HD580 with the Cardas Litz wire I use to mod.  With the Hifiman pads they are that much better.  No budget hifi for me....and the base headphones are crap without my mod, I would have sold them weeks ago without the mods.  The wire upgrade is a $100, so see they are no longer budget, but up there with $200 - $300 phones, but a half the price.  I can do way more for the sound with wire than you do with your cotton and q-tips!
biggrin.gif

LoL, i don't doubt a better cable will make them sound better, BUT and this is a HUGE one, no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig it's still a pig meng. Let's get this outta the way once and for all, you tried to sell your modded Somic MTs to me for 130+ shipping, which is a huge amount for such a budget set of cans that originally cost like $40 something shipped from China. I understand that the manual labor and raw material costs you put into modding them might justify the $100 markup but like i said a pig is still a pig no matter how you dress it.

Plus you sold your Modded/ Re-cabled sets of JVC S500s for much MUCH more reasonable prices, two sets $65 and $80 respectively and they cost you a total of $50 each shipped from Jpn. What happened to your DIY code of honor cute??? How you have stated numerous times that you don't do mods for profits, etc yet you are obviously pushing these cheapo Somics wayyy too hard these days and it's painfully obvious. I am sure you have made them better sounding but hyping your re-cables/ modds to this extent makes it seem like you have another agenda here. Just my 2 cents/ observations that's all....................

Quote:

They grow some pretty good ganja there in Minnesota methinks!

^
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #8,229 of 102,386
Quote:
LoL, i don't doubt a better cable will make them sound better, BUT and this is a HUGE one, no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig it's still a pig meng. Let's get this outta the way once and for all, you tried to sell your modded Somic MTs to me for 130+ shipping, which is a huge amount for such a budget set of cans that originally cost like $40 something shipped from China. I understand that the manual labor and raw material costs you put into modding them might justify the $100 markup but like i said a pig is still a pig no matter how you dress it.

Plus you sold your Modded/ Re-cabled sets of JVC S500s for much MUCH more reasonable prices, two sets $65 and $80 respectively and they cost you a total of $50 each shipped from Jpn. What happened to your DIY code of honor cute??? How you have stated numerous times that you don't do mods for profits, etc yet you are obviously pushing these cheapo Somics wayyy too hard these days and it's painfully obvious. I am sure you have made them better sounding but hyping your re-cables/ modds to this extent makes it seem like you have another agenda here. Just my 2 cents/ observations that's all....................

^
beerchug.gif

You have no dignity or self esteem?  Stop your childs play, you're making an old retired man a little upset!  
smile.gif
  You are wrong on all counts masta troll!

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #8,230 of 102,386
Quote:

So I've received my GR07 bass + GR06 bundle last sat and been burning them in since.

First thing I've noticed is that these GR07 don't need much burning in, I can't hear much changes after 30+ hrs on the burner.

The GR07 and CKN70 are VERY close !   ...GR07 has got slightly more details and slightly clearer across the spectrum, a very analytical sound to my ears.
CKN70 has got a slightly warmer mids compared to the GR07 which makes them more fun to listen to, treble on both are outstanding but the GR07 renders the high notes a little clearer, bass on both are on a very similar level.

Overall I would rate the GR07 Bass iem - as a side grade to the CKN70 with a very slight edge to the GR07.

Cords wise, GR07 Bass wins hands down !  ...in fact, they got one of the best if not the best cord of any iems I've come across !

Fit and comfort wise, the CKN70 is a little better with it's satelite ring to brace the iem against the ear, I found it a bit of a hassle putting the GR07 into my ears as it is akin to holding a square block with an earbud sticking out one side a cord the other and aligning it to my ear canals. 

Those GR07 BEs sound great, but I think the housings would be a little too big for me.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #8,231 of 102,386
Quote:

You have no dignity or self esteem?  Stop your childs play, you're making an old retired man a little upset!  
smile.gif
  You are wrong on all counts masta troll!

That is how i really feel, sorry to be blunt but it is what it is................................... i only troll when trollin' is justified and i ain't trolling here, remember i am a benevolent troll.
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #8,232 of 102,386
Quote:
That is how i really feel, sorry to be blunt but it is what it is................................... i only troll when trollin' is justified and i ain't trolling here, remember i am a benevolent troll.
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

I used to think you were funny......but now I think you have an alterier motive, and identity/alter ego, whatever!

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #8,233 of 102,386
Quote:
Those GR07 BEs sound great, but I think the housings would be a little too big for me.

Have you tried them? Before I got mine, I also thought the same thing - for some reason from the pictures I thought that they would be huge (like, 8320 huge or something). But in reality, they are quite diminutive and also they are quite flush - they don't stick out far. They are actually my most comfortable iem's I have for falling asleep with.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #8,235 of 102,386
Quote:

I used to think you were funny......but now I think you have an alterier motive, and identity/alter ego, whatever!

LMAO guilty as charged, my agenda is to take over head-fi one cute at a time.
biggrin.gif
And i thought everyone knew that that pesky WAYNE was my evil half, crazy ricky boi already solved this mystery longgggggggg ago. LoL
deadhorse.gif

I still got love for ya' cute, you're our beloved "sound freak" <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back