The discovery thread!
Jun 27, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #81,946 of 101,937
Any amazing and affordable mid tier DD bass head iem out there anyone can recommend? :) :thinking:

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #81,947 of 101,937
Hmmm new one coming ...
FB_IMG_1687914789866.jpg

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #81,949 of 101,937
Some short impressions on the Rikubuds Alter Rider 3, a DIY earbud from @RikudouGoku

Rikubuds_4.jpeg

It comes well accessorized. Other than the earbuds, these are included:
1) Semi rigid zipper clam shell case
2) White high-density foams
3) Red medium-density foams
4) Black low-density foams

Rikubuds_Accessories.jpeg

Do foam roll to see what suits your preferences - generally, the white denser foam would add warmth/bass, whereas the thinner black ones would make the sonics brighter and thinner. One can even combine 2 sets of foams (double foam) to add girth and increase warmth if you would like.

The Alter Rider 3 utilizes a RG39 earbud housing, and comfort is top notch, no complaints at all for this department. The buds fit snugly in the ear, and the ergonomics are well-designed with the long stem nicely nested within the intertragal notch of the ear. So far, I've tested the RG39 for the past 2 hours without any discomfort whatsoever.

The Alter Rider 3 is not that easy to drive, and scales with amplification.

Rikubuds_1.jpeg

The Alter Rider 3 uses an innovative Soundsphere technology. Essentially, there are pyramid shaped diffusing breakers within the housing, which reduces unwanted resonances via dispersing and redirecting acoustic waves. I think this may be the first time that this special concept is applied in earbuds, so kudos to such a brave - but thankfully successful - implementation of something considered uncharted waters for DIYers.

image3.png

Now on to sound - impressions below are with the white high density foams. Initial testing done with Questyle M15 dongle. The Alter Rider 3 is neutralish in tonality.

The Alter Rider 3 has exquisite timbral accuracy, and it is a joy to use it with genres featuring acoustic genres such as jazz and classical.

Technicalities are superb. Soundstage is quite expansive in all 3 dimensions, and instrument separation and imaging are commendable. Even with very complex riffs in music with competing instrumentation, the Alter Rider 3 handles these with ease.

Like most traditional earbuds, the bass is focused in the mid-bass, with some sub-bass roll-off. The quantity of bass is neutral, but this earbud goes for quality over quantity, with a very textured bass, zero mid-bass bleed and lightning fast speed. On my go-to test track for bass quality - Sting's Englishman in New York - the Alter Rider 3 showcases nice texture for bass lines, and aces the complex bass solo in the middle of this song.

The midrange is the star of the show. The lower midrange is very transparent, with no bass bleed to impinge here, with a dark background allowing instruments to be layered nicely. The upper mids are boosted and vocals are forwards without veering too much to shouty territory (at moderate volume levels). Vocal and midrange lovers will have a field day and there's something really magical about this bud's synergy with acoustic tunes.

The treble carries on from the upper mids boost, with decent air and sparkle. The treble is quite well-dosed in my opinion, there is minimal sibilance or splashiness of cymbals/high-hats, and it should be safe for treble sensitive folk. I really like that the Alter Rider 3 does not have the fake resolution/clarity that a lot of CHIFI use to trick the ears (via overly boosting the treble for fake details). Details and nuances can still be heard on this earbud, and the tuning is kind of monitor like in that way.

Rikubuds_2.jpeg

I'll be burning in this earbud and will report back with A/B comparisons, but ballpark, I would say that the Alter Rider 3 can be rightly classed as a TOTL bud from my first 2 hours with it. Perhaps only bassheads might wanna look elsewhere, but for most others, the Alter Rider 3 scores high in most departments.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #81,950 of 101,937
I reviewed flo lily, why are monitor iems so boring?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/flo-lily.26584/

They are boring cause most of these monitoring gear are tuned neutral, so as not to colour any frequencies.

This is in contrast to more "fun sounding" sets which are V-shaped or bass boosted, but the issue is if musicians use this on stage, they do not know if what they are playing is what the audience is hearing. Eg if a musician uses a basshead IEM to monitor the music, he thinks the bass sounds big in his ears, but for all you know, the bass is anemic in the audience.

I doubt the T800 is as finicky as Final E5000 or 300ohm buds. You should be fine.

T800 is one of the most finicky IEMs for source matching bro. It has a 9.2 ohm impedance, and based on the rules of 8ths, it pairs best with sources with output impedance of 1.15 or less. Too high source output impedance will skew the sound (usually bass boost ++).

Any amazing and affordable mid tier DD bass head iem out there anyone can recommend? :) :thinking:

Second the Legato. Visceral sub-bass rumble to the chest.

The E5000 is a possibility, though it needs robust amplification. Sony XBA N3 (hybrid though) is quite boosted in the mid-bass too, but I think it is no longer in production.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #81,951 of 101,937
Of course it has to be JD7. Best at every thing. Worth every penny.

Nah, j/k :dt880smile:

Would Zen/Zen Pro be considered “affordable mid tier”? After hearing the Zen Pro (and A8000), I stop looking for better single DD IEM. So punchy.

If you like deep, sub-bass focus response, maybe have a look at Final A5000. Its elder brother/sister, the A4000, the first IEM that teaches me “treble extension” (and also “deadly treble spikes”).

Are you planning to use a beefy amp? Are you willing to turn up the volume? If you say yes to both, I would recommend Final E5000. It’s lovely, but only when the previous conditions are met. What I like is how extended and smooth the treble actually is when it is driven properly.

Moving on to multi-driver topology:
  • Of course, the Legato is always a good option, since it is designed for that purpose.
  • If you are willing to consider hybrid, FiiO FH15 is an interesting option. Again, you need to turn up the volume for this L-shaped IEM.
  • I would also consider Dunu EST112, if you can find a good discount.
  • TruthEar Zero Blue is also decent, if you ear holes are large enough to accomodate the nozzles.
  • (Edit): If you can tolerate 8kHz, have a look at the Hidizs MS5. I love the DD+BA approach they use for the bass. It’s punchy and ”bouncy” but with sharp edges to the bass notes. Very similar to HiBy Zeta’s bass for much lower price.
Other options that is worth considering:
  • The upcoming Dunu Falcon Ultra. They promise an improved version of the Eclipse drivers. We will see how it turns out.
  • The discontinued FD7. It’s more of a technical, flat single DD IEM. I just think it’s a shame that this IEM is not more well-known.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #81,952 of 101,937
7hz Legato. Dual dynamic. Rich, detailed bass. Solid full frequency signature. Sounds like vintage floor standing speakers.
Second the Legato. Visceral sub-bass rumble to the chest.

Legato was my 2nd purchase from Linsoul during their 6/18 sale. Still waiting for it to arrive. Paid $48 for it with the $50 off discount. Can't wait to hear the BAAAAASS. :beyersmile:

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #81,953 of 101,937
Some short impressions on the Rikubuds Alter Rider 3, a DIY earbud from @RikudouGoku

How did you get it.? I have one set. Might be interested in this one.

Do foam roll to see what suits your preferences - generally, the white denser foam would add warmth/bass, whereas the thinner black ones would make the sonics brighter and thinner. One can even combine 2 sets of foams (double foam) to add girth and increase warmth if you would like.

The Alter Rider 3 utilizes a RG39 earbud housing, and comfort is top notch, no complaints at all for this department. The buds fit snugly in the ear, and the ergonomics are well-designed with the long stem nicely nested within the intertragal notch of the ear. So far, I've tested the RG39 for the past 2 hours without any discomfort whatsoever.

The Alter Rider 3 uses an innovative Soundsphere technology. Essentially, there are pyramid shaped diffusing breakers within the housing, which reduces unwanted resonances via dispersing and redirecting acoustic waves. I think this may be the first time that this special concept is applied in earbuds, so kudos to such a brave - but thankfully successful - implementation of something considered uncharted waters for DIYers.

Now on to sound - impressions below are with the white high density foams. Initial testing done with Questyle M15 dongle. The Alter Rider 3 is neutralish in tonality.

The Alter Rider 3 has exquisite timbral accuracy, and it is a joy to use it with genres featuring acoustic genres such as jazz and classical.

Technicalities are superb. Soundstage is quite expansive in all 3 dimensions, and instrument separation and imaging are commendable. Even with very complex riffs in music with competing instrumentation, the Alter Rider 3 handles these with ease.

Like most traditional earbuds, the bass is focused in the mid-bass, with some sub-bass roll-off. The quantity of bass is neutral, but this earbud goes for quality over quantity, with a very textured bass, zero mid-bass bleed and lightning fast speed. On my go-to test track for bass quality - Sting's Englishman in New York - the Alter Rider 3 showcases nice texture for bass lines, and aces the complex bass solo in the middle of this song.

The midrange is the star of the show. The lower midrange is very transparent, with no bass bleed to impinge here, with a dark background allowing instruments to be layered nicely. The upper mids are boosted and vocals are forwards without veering too much to shouty territory (at moderate volume levels). Vocal and midrange lovers will have a field day and there's something really magical about this bud's synergy with acoustic tunes.

The treble carries on from the upper mids boost, with decent air and sparkle. The treble is quite well-dosed in my opinion, there is minimal sibilance or splashiness of cymbals/high-hats, and it should be safe for treble sensitive folk. I really like that the Alter Rider 3 does not have the fake resolution/clarity that a lot of CHIFI use to trick the ears (via overly boosting the treble for fake details). Details and nuances can still be heard on this earbud, and the tuning is kind of monitor like in that way.

I'll be burning in this earbud and will report back with A/B comparisons, but ballpark, I would say that the Alter Rider 3 can be rightly classed as a TOTL bud from my first 2 hours with it. Perhaps only bassheads might wanna look elsewhere, but for most others, the Alter Rider 3 scores high in most department
Is it available? I bought directly from him before. It has been a while. If you have link I would appreciate.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #81,954 of 101,937

I'll be burning in this earbud and will report back with A/B comparisons, but ballpark, I would say that the Alter Rider 3 can be rightly classed as a TOTL bud from my first 2 hours with it. Perhaps only bassheads might wanna look elsewhere, but for most others, the Alter Rider 3 scores high in most departments.

That bud sounds yummy.

I’m more interested in the shells though. They seem easy to work with when adding MMCX connectors than the standard MX500. And the built-in bass tube as well. No more drilling holes and play lottery with channel balance. I wonder if @RikudouGoku is willing to sell those shells. Would be great to harvest some drivers from Smabat and slap them on proper shells.

T800 is one of the most finicky IEMs for source matching bro. It has a 9.2 ohm impedance, and based on the rules of 8ths, it pairs best with sources with output impedance of 1.15 or less. Too high source output impedance will skew the sound (usually bass boost ++).

Besides the odd Shanling H5, I think most of our gears have <1 ohm OI nowadays?

It’s unlikely this IEM can be more finicky than Andromeda with 4ohm impedance in the bass region :dt880smile:. I suspect this is the reason why it sounds better with the brute force provided by the G5’s amp, which can provide stable enough current for the woofers.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #81,955 of 101,937
To be fair tho, i wouldn't use it (with or without adapter) for monitoring
why do you think that? nice iems if it fits my personal tastes. i've seen people using 75 ohm adapters

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #81,956 of 101,937
Legato was my 2nd purchase from Linsoul during their 6/18 sale. Still waiting for it to arrive. Paid $48 for it with the $50 off discount. Can't wait to hear the BAAAAASS. :beyersmile:

The Legato's bass is actually focused at the sub-bass, so you won't really "hear" the big bass, but more of feel a huge visceral rumble at the chest/jaw. The mid-bass is quite copious too, but the vibrations of sub-bass is the real eye opener.

Is it available? I bought directly from him before. It has been a while. If you have link I would appreciate.

You can PM @RikudouGoku here on Headfi, or head to his site https://rikubuds.com/

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #81,957 of 101,937
The Legato's bass is actually focused at the sub-bass, so you won't really "hear" the big bass, but more of feel a huge visceral rumble at the chest/jaw. The mid-bass is quite copious too, but the vibrations of sub-bass is the real eye opener.
Can't wait to feel the BAAAASS. :beyersmile:

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #81,958 of 101,937

You can PM @RikudouGoku here on Headfi, or head to his site https://rikubuds.com/
I sent him a message. Loved the buds I bought.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #81,959 of 101,937
why do you think that? nice iems if it fits my personal tastes. i've seen people using 75 ohm adapters
Depend on how you want to monitor (i mean preference), but there should be some coloration here and there to make you know if you're doing correct or not (especially when it come to lower treble), spacing and separation in mid range is also crucial so i don't necessary think flat means monitor. If every song that you played sound flat, that means there's something inherently wrong with the iem
Edit: i mean some people think flat is when everything being shown to you, every detail just go up the surface (Hexa) and not FR, so ...

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #81,960 of 101,937
I find the FiiO FD7 to be neutral, leaning towards warm. The Dunu Zen (O.G.) is slightly warmer, with an authoritative sub bass.

From the standpoint of a Basshead, I would rate the Dunu Zen (O.G.) > than the FiiO FD7 & I skipped the Zen Pro. I inserted a comparison chart from @kmmbd review of the Zen Pro. As the consensus is that the Zen Pro stepped back on the lower frequency response; which is what incentivized me to pickup a backup Zen (O.G.), after Dunu retired 'em.
Zen squared.jpg
Would Zen/Zen Pro be considered “affordable mid tier”? After hearing the Zen Pro (and A8000), I stop looking for better single DD IEM. So punchy.

1687919141396.png

Other options that is worth considering:
  • The upcoming Dunu Falcon Ultra. They promise an improved version of the Eclipse drivers. We will see how it turns out.
  • The discontinued FD7. It’s more of a technical, flat single DD IEM. I just think it’s a shame that this IEM is not more well-known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back