The discovery thread!
Jun 27, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #81,931 of 105,031
It's at my messy Desk. But it's good... it's so good.
1687897077720.png

Just ordered the Quintet as well, cause why not. I think this monster will power my iems and Highfiman Edition XS. XD

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #81,932 of 105,031
I'm very glad with Shozy B2. I can swap nozzle and control tonality from bright with expressive treble to dark with powerful bass. Details and resolution are very good also, especially with suitable cable.

I had been monitoring Linsoul's web page for some time, and during the last discount session,
I saw them at 99USD, and I grabbed them.
I'm really curious to try them.

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #81,933 of 105,031
Jun 27, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #81,934 of 105,031
Surface level details is that fake resolution, you get textures of the sound outlined well but it lacks true layers of harmonics behind. As resolutions are not only trebles, it’s full band resolving capability from 20hz (or maybe even to sub-sonic lows) to 20khz. When full spectrum resolving capabilities are met, you get full resolution. I bet that region is the territory of multi BA hybrids & tribrids.
I’m same with Crin or Precog there, DDs are still behind in technicalities when compared to better hybrids/tribrids. But I do understand there are people who specifically loving the dynamic timbre.

Many value timbre over technical performance and I do see people value timbre 80% and technicality 20% or some even value 90% or more.

After getting used to varieties of sound, it becomes very evident that you can tell resolutions by just listening to a sound. I can tell if a sound is a single DD, full BA 4+1 or 2+1, Planar, 1BA, quite easily now after numerous analytical sessions, and there is no exceptions.

Single DD is single DD, it can be quite resolving but it won’t be as resolving as 12BA IEMs with proper implementations.

If someone using one of best DAPs with best possible hi-res recording and still saying a single DD has better resolution than let’s say Anole VX, that maybe the time we may reached to the point of end of discussion though.

Today I saw Lord of the Rings in ultraHD, and it made me feel a crappy experience, on my archaic plasma TV I enjoy it much more... not everything is hyper resolution in this world.

I hope a multi BA that makes me enjoy my music like a DD.

But, it's my opinion... after having listened to many multiBA tolt... I prefer TXN audio DesTi (8BA + 2 est).... but it's a super high budget to achieve the goal

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #81,935 of 105,031
Is a device in btr5k setting sufficient for single use? I have t 800 with 8 balanced drivers, can it feed it
If you are not picky, it’s more than enough. I would keep it on max gain and use balanced output only to get the most out of it. Some IEMs, like my U12t, do not really need anything else more than BTR5, since it barely “scale”. But you will see the BTR5 suffer when driving my 300ohm earbuds. Still get loud at less than 50% volume, but the stage is small, separation is weak, and the bass is kinda dull.

I doubt the T800 is as finicky as Final E5000 or 300ohm buds. You should be fine.

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #81,936 of 105,031
Jun 27, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #81,937 of 105,031
A comparison between Shanling H5 x Topping G5, in my opinion:

The difference in sound isn't drastically different, not to the point of weighing it down in an assessment.
Well, you have to make an effort to notice these meticulous sounds; G5 in absolute sharpness and beautiful transparency, H5 in a slightly "warmer" sound (a little more presence in the mid-bass and attenuation in the mid-high - but something very punctual, it's not exactly like equalizing).

Is this transparency superior in the G5? Yes, I can say that it is a device molded more in high definition, perhaps objectively better sound.

Not only that, but notably higher and more refined amplification (in technical aspects as well).

But I think that doesn't bring down the Shanling H5 as a whole: it's slightly more musical and less clinical, it brings a little more fun (in that little extra heat).

Its amplification capability is already good enough for IEMs... 840mw into 32ohms on the balanced 4.4mm output. It has three types of gains and I believe high impedance output (the G5 is technically fabulous in this parameter) from Shanling will only affect REALLY sensitive IEMs.

Shanling is simply more complete as a product because it has a basic screen (with information about battery level, volume, modes and some practical settings); and for being able to be a Media Player - although the Eddit Player application makes things more intuitive - being able to pause, play, advance and rewind a track. Yes, the fact that Shanling has a good mobile application that synchronizes without many bugs with the device already makes it highly interesting - less raw than Topping's product, even if the proposal is different.

Now, try the G5 again as a pure amp, feed by an Apple dongle. You should get some of the warm and “wet” sound back and you might lose a bit of that “transparency”, but the perception of depth and layering should improve. To me, after hearing how the sonic image becomes more flattened with the onboard DAC, I can’t go back. Should have gone for NX7 and save some $$$$ :dt880smile:

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #81,938 of 105,031
If you are not picky, it’s more than enough. I would keep it on max gain and use balanced output only to get the most out of it. Some IEMs, like my U12t, do not really need anything else more than BTR5, since it barely “scale”. But you will see the BTR5 suffer when driving my 300ohm earbuds. Still get loud at less than 50% volume, but the stage is small, separation is weak, and the bass is kinda dull.

I doubt the T800 is as finicky as Final E5000 or 300ohm buds. You should be fine.
I can also use wired, no problem. Are you using balanced mode for u12t? If it's sufficient for the u12t, it can also provide enough power for things like the t 800. Any comments on how btr5k matches balanced drives? ess chips usually sound warm with character. es9219 is a sound chip i haven't heard before
If your source chain allows try AutoEQ'ing it to either Crinacle's 2023 target with a bass shelf or to a tilted DF target with a bass shelf. The stock tuning is a bit anemic imo but it really shines with EQ.
it's really boring for me, things like foam tip didn't work either. I guess I won't be using it for long, I love the fun sound. There is no problem with the quality of the iems, but the monitor sound character is definitely not for me. The equalizer idea is nice but it doesn't seem like it's going to be fun unless I put a dynamic driver in it.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #81,939 of 105,031
Now, try the G5 again as a pure amp, feed by an Apple dongle. You should get some of the warm and “wet” sound back and you might lose a bit of that “transparency”, but the perception of depth and layering should improve. To me, after hearing how the sonic image becomes more flattened with the onboard DAC, I can’t go back. Should have gone for NX7 and save some $$$$ :dt880smile:
Yep, I also think the NX7 is a beast for anyone who is only focused on amp power. The G5 has a good bluetooth, its proposition as a product is great, but its very sharp and crystalline Saber sound may not be for everyone.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #81,940 of 105,031
I can also use wired, no problem. Are you using balanced mode for u12t? If it's sufficient for the u12t, it can also provide enough power for things like the t 800. Any comments on how btr5k matches balanced drives? ess chips usually sound warm with character. es9219 is a sound chip i haven't heard before

Number of drivers have nothing to do with difficulty to drive, IMHO. For example, the 13 driver VE Phonix is very very easy to get loud. U12t is medium in terms of sensitivity. It’s does not get too loud too quickly, and it does not sound limpy or dull with anything, even Apple dongle. Usually, the thing you would lose when moving from, say my M6U + G5 setup, to BTR5 is the dynamic, separation, and overall size of the soundstage. Whether and how much you lose depends on the particular IEM.

To my ears, BTR5 sounds very similar to Apple dongle in terms of tonality. Maybe a bit less wooly. Noted that BTR5 sounds different between AAC and LDAC, and between wireless and wired mode. The best sound quality is of course in the wired mode. In general, it’s alright, but I want a bit more out of my IEMs, so I’m eyeing the BTR7.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #81,942 of 105,031
Number of drivers have nothing to do with difficulty to drive, IMHO. For example, the 13 driver VE Phonix is very very easy to get loud. U12t is medium in terms of sensitivity. It’s does not get too loud too quickly, and it does not sound limpy or dull with anything, even Apple dongle. Usually, the thing you would lose when moving from, say my M6U + G5 setup, to BTR5 is the dynamic, separation, and overall size of the soundstage. Whether and how much you lose depends on the particular IEM.

To my ears, BTR5 sounds very similar to Apple dongle in terms of tonality. Maybe a bit less wooly. Noted that BTR5 sounds different between AAC and LDAC, and between wireless and wired mode. The best sound quality is of course in the wired mode. In general, it’s alright, but I want a bit more out of my IEMs, so I’m eyeing the BTR7.
i wrote and deleted it in the previous message. Bass was sharper and treble more balanced when the btr3k was also in wired mode. That's why I sold the device, after which I decided that the Bluetooth comfort was very good for me. Using wired dacs doesn't feel really comfortable. I thought the number of drivers had an effect on the situation, I've seen before that even my high-sensitivity headphones can react differently depending on the quality of different dac's. still seems to be a good quality source. yes, btr7 exceeded even fiio's expectation. The btr7 is a good device but I'm not sure about portability.

fiio does not provide any information, the price or release date of the btr15 is unknown. If it comes out in the 140-$150 band, it makes more sense to keep btr5k because it is a much better choice to order btr7 than to give btr15 that money.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #81,943 of 105,031
Today I saw Lord of the Rings in ultraHD, and it made me feel a crappy experience, on my archaic plasma TV I enjoy it much more... not everything is hyper resolution in this world.

I hope a multi BA that makes me enjoy my music like a DD.

But, it's my opinion... after having listened to many multiBA tolt... I prefer TXN audio DesTi (8BA + 2 est).... but it's a super high budget to achieve the goal
You watched the whole trilogy in 1 day? cool.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #81,944 of 105,031
I'm very glad with Shozy B2. I can swap nozzle and control tonality from bright with expressive treble to dark with powerful bass. Details and resolution are very good also, especially with suitable cable.

I had been monitoring Linsoul's web page for some time, and during the last discount session,
I saw them at 99USD, and I grabbed them.
I'm really curious to try them.

Just got my Shozy B2 in today. Took "Linslow" 13 days from date of order/purchase to receiving it. Satisfactory for free shipping on an $84 IEM coming out of China.

Initial impressions are very good. Solid build quality, fit and comfort are awesome, meh cable (I think they switched out the original cable and gave me a run-of-the-mill 3.5mm cable). Clear, detailed, good dynamics, pretty balanced sound signature, good technialities, good tonality, nice resolution, good bass, well tuned. Overall a high quality IEM. They do need a good amount of power to drive.

Currently using my trusty combo of SpinFit CP145 tips and Penon CS819 cable with it.

I think the original retail price of $439 is way overpriced, even 3 years ago when this first released. The discounted price of $269 is more appropriate. The 6/18 sale price of $99 is a good bargain for this IEM. The $84 I paid for it is a steal IMO. Very happy with this acquisition so far. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #81,945 of 105,031

Users who are viewing this thread

Back