The discovery thread!
Apr 27, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #77,626 of 105,023
ROFLMAO! I thought P5 Awful and Blon Fat Girl were going to hold the poorly translated name award forever. But this an the Wan'er have given me doubts.

Anyone looking for a job as an English speaker in Chinese marketing? :astonished:
Was there an IEM called “FAT GIRL”😳😳

Oh boy I hope they didn’t release that name on Twitter😂

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #77,627 of 105,023
Nope, although checking for more reviews on Blon z300, SR1 and the new Kiwi Ears 2BA 2DD IEM.

But that's just looking! :grin::fingers_crossed:
just looking can very quickly turned into just ordered!
Stay strong!

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #77,628 of 105,023
Does that passive bass radiator thing work? Does it produce any noticeable physical sensation?

Passive radiators are fairly common on full sized cabinet speakers. I assume they’ve designed this so that the speakers are in phase. Hard to tell how the intervals work from the images. But I’d assume they add some depth to the bass. Probably not much but some.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #77,629 of 105,023
Passive radiators are fairly common on full sized cabinet speakers. I assume they’ve designed this so that the speakers are in phase. Hard to tell how the intervals work from the images. But I’d assume they add some depth to the bass. Probably not much but some.
My creative pebbles have those at the back. I keep putting my fingers on those so I’m sure that I’ll break them very soon :dt880smile:

I wonder if simgot’s solution is a “poor man” alternative to FirAudio XE6. Not many reviews of the Simgot.

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #77,630 of 105,023
I'm pretty sure they're extremely rare, because for most cases there, the port is a much cheaper replacement at the cost of a larger cabinet size. Never seen a portable speaker without at least one passive radiator however due to the need of being well... portable. And bass would be virtually nonexistent without one.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #77,631 of 105,023
Was there an IEM called “FAT GIRL”😳😳

Oh boy I hope they didn’t release that name on Twitter😂

Yes there was. I suspect the English translation says "Fat Girl", but the Chinese word was actually hinting at the word prosperous. So another lost in translation gaffe I suppose.

1682652109745.png

This IEM was another sidegrade spam sub-$10 kind of flavour of the week, which had 15 minutes of fame due to the controversial name. But thereafter, it was forgotten as just a footnote in CHIFI land as the sonics were mediocre. Much like 70% of new sidegrade releases are not spoken about 2 weeks after launch.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #77,632 of 105,023
Yes there was. I suspect the English translation says "Fat Girl", but the Chinese word was actually hinting at the word prosperous. So another lost in translation gaffe I suppose.

1682652109745.png

This IEM was another sidegrade spam sub-$10 kind of flavour of the week, which had 15 minutes of fame due to the controversial name. But thereafter, it was forgotten as just a footnote in CHIFI land as the sonics were mediocre. Much like 70% of new sidegrade releases are not spoken about 2 weeks after launch.
🤣 thanks for the anthological narrative !

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #77,633 of 105,023
I'm pretty sure they're extremely rare, because for most cases there, the port is a much cheaper replacement at the cost of a larger cabinet size. Never seen a portable speaker without at least one passive radiator however due to the need of being well... portable. And bass would be virtually nonexistent without one.
My old Tannoy Precision 6.4s have a couple of passive radiators, hard to really judge how much they impact the sound
https://www.hifidatabase.com/Tannoy_Precision 6.4_4922.php

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #77,634 of 105,023

Look at subwoofers. Lots of them include a passive radiator. There are floor speakers that have them too.

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #77,635 of 105,023
Apr 28, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #77,636 of 105,023
https://www.marchaudio.com/product/sointuva-wg-speaker

Both cases seem to be stupid amounts of money to blow on single piece of audio equipment for me.
My wife shares that view!
I remind her to be grateful that audio is my thing not cars!
Ten years on and still love them and have no urge to upgrade. Sound investment in my view.

(Edit: Got them half price ex-demo - so consider them a bargain!)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #77,637 of 105,023
I'm glad you're glad. And the rest of us who don't have OG Wu will try PR2. How easy!
I don't care what you try. I was talking about myself, so lighten up your britches. mmmkay?

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #77,638 of 105,023
At least you didn't say
"I still love my fat girl..."

Be VERY careful about who you buy it for if you're living in the US.

How do people react to receiving a gift where every instance of the product name have been heavily redacted with a marker pen? :rolling_eyes:
LOL That would NOT be a very good gift now would it? HAHAHA

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #77,639 of 105,023
At least you didn't say
"I still love my fat girl..."

Be VERY careful about who you buy it for if you're living in the US.

How do people react to receiving a gift where every instance of the product name have been heavily redacted with a marker pen? :rolling_eyes:
Hm? Why anyone would be offended by it?
P/s: in case you didn't know
IMG_20230428_120422.jpg

Lol in my experience, the one who i consider "fat" actually not obese, basically i haven't met one in my life

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #77,640 of 105,023
Hm? Why anyone would be offended by it?
P/s: in case you didn't know
I guess I recall what that score means,
it shall be percentage of national population above obesity guideline per WHO or somewhere. Vietnam shall have very low score for that and we Americans ranked pretty high on that bill😭

I’m the geek guy love those stats, I used to flip CIA factbook when I was young✌️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back