The discovery thread!
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #76,816 of 106,809
I skipped Legato since I already have quite many bass tuned sets, its probably a good choice looking at all the well received response.
Thank you for your answer!
Guess I'll wait a bit to see if there are more opinions about the SIE, before deciding if I should get those or the Legato

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #76,817 of 106,809
Acoustune's house sound is generally a well-done V shape signature. Their single DDs though on the pricier side, generally have quite good resolution that can rival some multi drivers.

At the Singapore CanJam I found they released a Mk2 of their flagship, called the HS2000MX MK2. The Mk1 has a beryllium driver but this version 2 is marketed as the world’s first IEMs with replaceable acoustic chambers!

With the stock chamber, the HS2000MX MK2 sounds mildly V-shaped, with brilliant technicalities and crisp transients. The other four modules are sold separately, and they change the FR when installed.

You just pull out a holding pin and slot the new chamber in.

There are five different acoustic chambers to play with:
  • Stainless steel + birch wood module
  • Brasa wood module
  • Aluminum module
  • Brass module
  • Copper module (stock)
It ain't cheap though. The IEM itself is like $2K SGD and only comes with the stock copper module.

Many modern day ChiFI at sub$20 easily eat the Shure SE215 for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper.

I thought it was a muddy a decade ago when I had it, and it is still amazingly sold today, and without a significant price drop. The only good thing I would say it has a good fit and is quite durable.

I have been testing out the R6 Pro II tour unit the past day, it has quite good technicalities, neutralish.

UI is quite fast, user friendly and quite solid build. You can change between a class A and AB amp on the fly. Sound wise I have no complaints TBH.

But some bugbears - battery is bad. Like 5 hours or so on class A on 4.4mm, it gets warm too. It isn't the most powerful DAP at 383mW max output on 4.4mm. It can drive the HD650 (300 ohms), and Final E5000 (low sensitivity) quite decently on high gain/4.4mm, but it couldn't push the Yinman 600 ohm 2.0 earbuds (87 dB/mW sensitivity, 600 ohm impedance) that well. I suspect it can't drive some fussy planar headphones too.

For now, I'm happy with these.
Classy scent, nonetheless.

IMG_3371.jpeg

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #76,818 of 106,809
7468368.jpg

Got these things in last night. Fiios brand spankin new FT3. I have to say what your getting for $300 is impressive. The package comes with a stand I believe the stand is religated to early orders. The headphones themselves comes with 2 different set of pads, velour and pleather a very nice form fitting hard case and a pouch. Very impressive packaging.

Construction of the headphone is solid and while the way the cups look is debatable. The cups are surprisingly compact for using a 60mm driver. Folks with bigger ears might fit a bit tight around the ears. I have an average size head and fits me well with no issue..They also come with a very solid moncrystalline copper based cable which I read was also religated to the first batch of FT3 headphones. I got word they will replace these cables with something comparable once they run out of them. so no worries if Fiio will provide a lesser cable later on.

AS per sound, these are harmonish neutral with a slight lift for treble and sub bass. While they are open cans they dont have the widest of stages but certainly not confined either. Just average headstage. The openness of the can design helps with its depth and air for the sound overall which was obviously purposfully done here.

These sound more neutral for mids but has enough bass to not make them sound sterile or overly analytical. I can tell the potential of this driver Fiio is using. I think a warmer source would match better with these vs using neutral sources like my Fiio M15 which is burning in these things at the moment. Drivability is hampered a bit as they are 350 ohm headphones. I have to use high gain out of my M15. Has plenty of headroom using a dap but these are made for desktop use. WIll have to throw them on the Fiio K9 pro ESS soon to see what they can do.

Detail aspects are actually very good at the price point. They did sound a touch thin note wise out of the box but I will reserve judgement till they get the necessary burn in and perhaps a source with a bit more power.
They are more technical sounding vs having a thick or warm overtone. Balanced well and has plenty of air for the sound. Leaks quite a bit as you would guess,

First Fiio made full sized cans and they are actually a good value for the price. Very comparable to the best cans in the price range. I dont think these will knock off higher end Cans but they certainly are worthy of their price point. Will see how they do with more juice from the K9 pro.

I think these will be excellent for gaming of all things due to their detail aspects. Will test that out too.

So far these remind me of a full sized can version of the Dunu Talos. Which is a good thing.
11921476_thumb.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #76,819 of 106,809
Cross posting here:

VE SiE

Haha my inner child bass head loves the SiE, make me smile from ear to ear.

Very short impressions after 6hours burn in and a few hours listening.
Thick sound in both the bass and mids, upper part of mids and treble seem slightly dark in comparison.
Not the most technical IEM or widest soundstage, about average I would say.

Do I like it? Very much.
It is a dark analogue sound, not any sibilance at all. I am halfway bass head so this is a very fun sound for me.
I doubt you can get tired from this, even with aggressive metal its not becoming to much. Unless you get tired from boosted low end.

I am getting some measurement of the SiE soon, might be interesting to see how it compares to some other sets.

1681935188418.png

Changed the cable for Penon OS133, looks good on SiE.

DSCF2425.jpg
looks like the Tangzu Wan Er.

Is this another $20usd budget contender?

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #76,820 of 106,809
Well, probably AüR Neon Pro and Sound Rhyme SR8

I just ordered Legato.

Any suggestion > Dunu SA6 mk2 or Blessing 3?
I have SA6, Neon Pro, SR8, Blessing 2, Dusk, Blessing 3, HEXA, Variations.

I’d suggest Neon Pro if you love excitement, and SR8 if you love elegance if you can extend the budget a little further than SA6.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #76,821 of 106,809
Moondrop fanboy’s obligatory purchase…

Jiu, ordered.

Why….I already have Chu….😭

My finger has an independent will it seems.
B630B95C-D6FB-473F-B196-E18EF2F50CC2.jpeg

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #76,823 of 106,809
Just saw this moments ago while wandering on Taobao and it looks really gorgeous (1DD+2EST+8BA):

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=669877175150

It's reviews on Taobao seem to be really positive too. Anyone knows this brand or so (X-Y Headset)?

O1CN01l9047b1hM2lsIZ60u_!!361554262.gif
O1CN018BaaWX1hM2m1oaSIz_!!361554262.gif
O1CN017snB821hM2lsIYtXl_!!361554262.gif
I recall that’s the one on @Asakurai ‘s wishlist.

Yongse Sword if I recall it correctly.

I’m also interested.

Wait, actually maybe not Yongse Sowrd.

2F1DDB84-8499-4B78-9D65-9F78B86E021F.jpeg

If my Chinese reading skill is not rusted, It appears to be 2Piezo + 8Knowles +1bio diaphragm DD for $308 + various fees

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #76,824 of 106,809
It sounds Harman-y. Without user graphs to verify, it sounds similar to Kiwi Ears Cadenza with a smoother 3k area and better mid-treble to my ear, in A/B.

I prefer midbass focus to sub-bass and an 8k boost for treble clarity, for a reference point
Your preference sounds like it's not far off what I like. But I probably prefer a spicier treble. As they are on sale and I do trust KBEAR, I ordered a pair along with a cable and adapters. It looks good and if it's at least decent sounding for it's price, I'll probably use it at work.

Probably the last cheap pair for a while as I've got my eye on the Blessing 3 and maybe a Neon pro later in the year. But first up is a new high-end DAP as my FiiO X7 Mk.II is dying a slow death with the volume controls almost inoperable atm. I'm waiting on the Astell&Kern A&Norma SR35 release next month and for a local store to get the Shanling M6 Ultra in stock to compare them.

I'm somewhat biased to the A&Norma as I have some experience with the original SR15 and liked the sound more than the X7 MK.II, but the higher price and poor spec's made me pick the X7 Mk.II over it. PCM 24/192, DSD64, no BT is inexcusable at €800,-, the original Shanling M0 could beat that at €99,-. They fixed that a generation later in the SR25 and introduced the 4.4mm in the SR25 Mk.II refresh. The new SR35 looks like it's quite the beast with more than double the output power, Quad DAC's, along some other improvements major improvements. It might actually be worth the asking price of €899,- which is weird to say about a Astell&Kern as they're usually rather expensive for what you get.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #76,825 of 106,809
Meanwhile, I’m seeing very happy owners voice from my Japanese audioohile twitter network, they comment PZT of GK100 needs some burn-in period, OOTB it will sound very rough textured.

Just providing another point of view.

I know Crin deny any single aspect of burn-in, well that’s his personality, so Timmy might pretty close in that, if Timmy‘s review is OOTB, that less than positive comment actually sounds rationale.
Burn in can help. It’s possible.
Crin is a good reviewer, but a tiny bit of a troll at times. It’s such a subjective hobby that it’s hard to put science to it all.
Glad to heard others like it. I wish I had a local store that had it store to check out.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #76,826 of 106,809
Burn in can help. It’s possible.
Crin is a good reviewer, but a tiny bit of a troll at times. It’s such a subjective hobby that it’s hard to put science to it all.
Glad to heard others like it. I wish I had a local store that had it store to check out.
Yea, he is a good reviewer and good troll at same time😄 I’d never would agree on his burn-in denial but as a reviewer his analysis is very agreeable ( as far as he actually into analytical listening).

I wish we have one around here too, you Californian people may really have some shop one day, I won’t be surprised to see one around Seattle or San Francisco.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #76,827 of 106,809
I recall that’s the one on @Asakurai ‘s wishlist.

Yongse Sword if I recall it correctly.

I’m also interested.

Wait, actually maybe not Yongse Sowrd.

2F1DDB84-8499-4B78-9D65-9F78B86E021F.jpeg
If my Chinese reading skill is not rusted, It appears to be 2Piezo + 8Knowles +1bio diaphragm DD for $308 + various fees
308 USD?! Wow that much? On my side through Taobao app its price shows up as 1705 RMB promotion price (so around 248 USD).

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #76,828 of 106,809
Timmy ranks Blessing 3 #6 on his list of best IEMs for vocals.

Perhaps watch his reviews instead of overreacting and trying to paint him as a Crinacle parrot?

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #76,829 of 106,809
Yea, he is a good reviewer and good troll at same time😄 I’d never would agree on his burn-in denial but as a reviewer his analysis is very agreeable ( as far as he actually into analytical listening).

I wish we have one around here too, you Californian people may really have some shop one day, I won’t be surprised to see one around Seattle or San Francisco.
Yeah, we have a few stores about two hours away from me. But stock is limited. I really wish a fancy iem store opened in Los Angeles.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #76,830 of 106,809

I can see how he would rub people the wrong way, but I get him. He has generally stated tastes are different and he is not the "say". Some of his critics label him like he thinks he is the "say" on things, but I have never felt that way. He has helped me avoid some real frauds in the market, and I have liked some things he doesn't. I appreciate what he brings to the table, and I will listen to him. But I also listen to others. Not going to blame any reviewers for my own decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back