The discovery thread!
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #76,186 of 106,565
Bingo!
graph - 2023-04-12T194826.580.png

This sound more like Blessing 2 than Hexa IMO

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #76,187 of 106,565
Perhaps these things can be more accurately described as “flat dynamic drivers.” FDD. They can be round or square but either way they’re not planar. They’re dynamic.

Aren't all planars dynamic drivers anyway? A moving coil in a magnetic field moving a diaphragm. Conventional planars (for want of a better term) have a rigid mounting at the periphery of the diapragm which means the diaphragm itself must flex to move. By contrast a normal dynamic driver remains rigid and has a flexible attachment at it's periphery to enable the membrane to translate backwards and forwards to displace air. That's why we don't see planars bragging about Beryllium or CNT. If the diaphragm were more rigid, it would require more force to flex and be less efficient (having to hook Chernobyl up to your DAC, so much for portable). Photoetched coils may have a better attachment to the diaphragm, but are also more constrained as to the size of the coils since they don't currently have more than one layer. "Square Planar Driver" is also a red herring for the name since there should be nothing to stop a conventional planar being made in a square format, or an SPD being manufactured in a round supporting frame. What are we going to call it when some manufacturer compares MM and MC phono cartridges of old and decides to try fixing the coil to the housing and sticking the magnet to the domed, cylindrical or planar membrane that bounces around.

I've also figured out the reason for all those little bumps and grooves around the edges of diaphragms. They are to make the listening experience more exciting. The next time you stick something in your ear, remember it's been ribbed for extra stimulation!

(if your not sure why you're putting a diaphragm in your ear, them it's time to have a talk about where little audiophiles come from):ksc75smile:

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #76,188 of 106,565
We are friend now HBB!

Respect your reviews and measurements, great contributions to squiglink, but yea it’s an audio stuff we may have disagreements over audio gadgets.

Follow-Follower tie re-established.
6E97EE1C-4AE5-48EE-8339-7F22EA9183B5.jpeg

BA05C102-D620-433F-93B4-B5677128E1F1.jpeg

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #76,189 of 106,565
Bingo!graph - 2023-04-12T194826.580.png
This sound more like Blessing 2 than Hexa IMO
I just got littleWhite with PEQ, I may need ask your professional advice for EQ🥹

Tzenn sensei!

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #76,190 of 106,565
I'm pretty sure what makes a planar a planar is that the electromotive force acts across the whole plane of the diaphragm because the wire covers the whole (or almost the whole) of the membrane, and not because the membrane itself is flat; giving planars the edge in distortion and high-frequency response.

Pretty sure you could corrugate the diaphragm (not that you'd want to) and still consider it planar-magnetic. Putting a flat coil on a flat diaphragm doesn't make it planar if it's only covering a portion of the membrane.

That's why this Rinko driver and the SPD seem like the worst of both worlds, getting the excursion of a planar with the distortion of a dynamic.

I dunno, just my 2 cents.

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #76,191 of 106,565
I just got littleWhite with PEQ, I may need ask your professional advice for EQ🥹

Tzenn sensei!
Nope i finally able to remember all of my old memory, the day when i was a youngster trying to be my own best (first time hear Blessing 2 probally) and finally, today, i obtain my own sharingan (well, mini Blesssing2). Wish you luck, i'll hide inside the mountain and enjoy my mini B2 haha

Edit: just kidding, probally try to use the flat-est treble iem, try to work and understand how to tune bass and mid first. Usually i use low pass filter below 1khz and peak above 1khz, always look out for DB because just 1 db off, it'll sounds like garbage

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #76,192 of 106,565
Aren't all planars dynamic drivers anyway? A moving coil in a magnetic field moving a diaphragm.
Interesting you brought up this point. Planar magnetic driver used to be called isodynamic or orthodynamic in the past, so you're right about their working principles being pretty similarly to conventional dynamic driver, using electromagnetic induction in a magnetic field generated by permanent magnet. However, I disagree with calling them exactly the same. It is like calling a motorbike and a car to be the same thing because of both of them run on internal combustion engine.

So, the main difference between planar magnetic and dynamic driver is mostly in their construction, and that difference in construction fundamentally changes how the driver behave. I think it is still important to keep the distinction between them.

"Square Planar Driver" is also a red herring for the name since there should be nothing to stop a conventional planar being made in a square format, or an SPD being manufactured in a round supporting frame. What are we going to call it when some manufacturer compares MM and MC phono cartridges of old and decides to try fixing the coil to the housing and sticking the magnet to the domed, cylindrical or planar membrane that bounces around.
I agree with you here. I think the "square planar driver" is just another way of constructing driver, just that the manufacturers are trying to cash in to the planar craze by adding "planar" into the driver's name. Construction wise, it is more in-between the planar magnetic and dynamic drivers (taking the automotive analogy here, probably this is the motorized tricycle). It is not even a new technology in IEM. Remember the "planamic" driver in MEE audio Pinnacle? SPD is basically the square version of it and the one in Rinko is probably a variation of it.

I'm actually in favour of calling this "planamic" driver in the future.

P.S. This reminded me of the controversy about EST driver naming. The purists would strictly associate EST only to the "true" electrostatics, while the manufacturers are less strict and added electret or magnetostatics under the big "EST" umbrella naming.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #76,193 of 106,565
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #76,194 of 106,565
So which IEM is?
Tanchjim Ola Bass .-.
nah just kidding, this is an extremely underated iem but I enjoy this way to much right now

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #76,195 of 106,565
So which IEM is?
Hard question🥹

Right now it may be LAN for a single DD based on Chu’s performance, and Tinhifi’s C2/Tripowin Lea all has better performance to my impression.

Here are some detailed coverage
Lea and Cadenza pars in performanc IMO they both hit (B-). Ah…also I see internet reviews had wrong polarity on Lea. Those L/R indicators had to face outward. I noticed immediately when plugged those connectors with L/R Indicators facing inward, ”errr out of phase” tuning, then checked their official website, and saw those indicators were facing the faceplate.

Chances are some reviews are conducted with out of phase tonality.

Resolving capabilities cross comparisons:
ZEX > Aria(mod) > Chu > Lark> Aria(stock) Lea > Salnotes Zero = Cadenza > Quarks OG > Quarks DSP > Wan’er S.G > Tanya >
E500

Timbral Accuracy capabilities cross comparisons: Natural Sound Reproduction & Note Weight Balances

Salnotes Zero > Aria(mod) > Cadenza > Lea > Aria(stock) > E500 > Tanya > Wan’er S.G > Quarks DSP > Lark > Chu > Quarks OG > ZEX

Personal Preference:
Salnotes Zero > Wan’er S.G > Aria (Mod) > Lea > ZEX > Cadenza > Quarks DSP > Chu > Tanya > Lark > Aria (Stock) > E500 > Quarks OG

Price wise Lea is $20 and Cadenza $35 So overall Lea performs better. Cadenza is basically reshelled Tripowin Mele.

I’ve done LCP and sub$50 cross comparison before. Lea is an overlooed gem.

LCP arm’s race debriefing

Entry level IEM debriefing

I watched one of Crinacle’s initial impressions video last week (it was released like half a year ago, obviously I’m sloppy watching his vid😂). And noticed Crin also made pretty positive feedback on Tripowin Lea, very rare to find he actually pay attention to brands like Tripowin🤔

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #76,196 of 106,565
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #76,197 of 106,565
Per FloAudio Official:

They gonna release 6BA (total 12BA) IEM next month!!!
8F312445-A7D9-443D-A49F-D56A260C3170.jpeg
Wow this is exciting.

I love their Lily, and feel Calla is pretty decent too.

0FA76F2C-846F-4907-9B6E-B4DCB908A978.jpeg
im getting excited for this as well, like both their lily and calla!

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #76,198 of 106,565
Apr 12, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #76,199 of 106,565
Just one more until i finally going to sleep, maybe. my graph on Tanchjim Ola Bass (full stock) vs @o0genesis0o Blessing 2
Currently running with stock cable + sony hybrid tips to make 3khz more prominent. Feels so magical!
graph (2).png

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #76,200 of 106,565
The HEXA arrived today. This model is really good for the price point. Exceptional tuning and a good fit. I would say in can compare in clarity and resolution with sets way above the price point. When you take into account that I got this one on an Aliexpress spring sale the value is exceptional. Let's see how good it is after a day of burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back