biggrin.gif

A portable tube amp?

Interesting.

Hope it works well for you!

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #7,088 of 101,956
Quote:
I'm 100% sure it'll work.
biggrin.gif

I don't know dude - I didn't see mentioned battery time. Maybe this "3 hours cruising" - that will hardly make it good for portable use if true. And those directions to use... This one looks way more interesting - comes with different opamps for you to decide which one you like and apparently 160 hours of battery time if true http://www.ebay.com/itm/4OP-chips-Rechargeable-portable-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-JRC4556-2604-NE5532-2134-/110961293704?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item19d5cef988

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #7,089 of 101,956
Feb 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #7,090 of 101,956
For work travel I use a whimpy Acer Aspire 1430 and it has no problem powering the HifiMeDIY DAC.  My latest use of this device is as a USB to Toslink converter into my PortaDAC.  This HifiMeDIY Sabre DAC is very handy.  And it sounds great alone.  Really eye-opening experience that HifiMeDIY Sabre DAC can compete with the big boys.  

Quote:
Well, I guess some one should measure it. The bad thing is that the people with noisy or underpowered USB ports will be the people with laptops, netbooks etc. and they will be the one who really need the bigger version but all of them would go for the small one because they also need portability 

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #7,091 of 101,956
Quote:

How would you rate the Fire Phoenix DAC-02 with these? 

My fire phoenix is my best sounding source but I took out the original JRC4556 and exchanged it with a dual opa LT1028.. My Ha-info I put in a different op amp as well and both sources get good use..

The problem with the fire phoenix is you have to request the vendor to make sure you are getting a good one. Some of the guys that purchased this unit ended up getting a bad one. It seems the vendor is being good about sending good units now.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #7,092 of 101,956
Quote:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110925538541&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=06486869682

I would pass on this if I was you.. I did some digging on headfi of guys that bought this and was not too happy with the results. $80 for that.  For $40 more you can get a Fiio E12 which I got a chance to hear today.. Much better than the E11..Sounds like a nice high end amp to my ears.

@ericp  The CKS1000 is what I consider a sleeper earphone...If that is new they absolutely need burn in..I wasn't too impressed with my pair when I got them new.. They will grow on you over time and use. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #7,094 of 101,956
In case anyone was thinking of getting the X10, I just bought them and these are my impressions:

I've spent the last hour listening to the Klipsch X10, and this is a seriously dark phone. It's somewhat reminiscent of my ASG-1.2, but less refined with a far smaller soundstage. I'm listening to The Lumineers with it right now, and I feel bloody claustrophobic, which is funny because the entire album was recorded/mastered to make you feel like you're in a large bar with them during the performance....but this is ridiculous. The extra bass and recessed lower mids certainly don't help either. 

The only redeeming qualities I can think of are that vocals that are already emphasized gain a sort of euphoric quality to them (like Adele. Then again, Adele sounds good on anything), and that the bass can be quite nice given the right track.

These are going right back.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #7,095 of 101,956
Quote:
In case anyone was thinking of getting the X10, I just bought them and these are my impressions:

I've spent the last hour listening to the Klipsch X10, and this is a seriously dark phone. It's somewhat reminiscent of my ASG-1.2, but less refined with a far smaller soundstage. I'm listening to The Lumineers with it right now, and I feel bloody claustrophobic, which is funny because the entire album was recorded/mastered to make you feel like you're in a large bar with them during the performance....but this is ridiculous. The extra bass and recessed lower mids certainly don't help either. 

The only redeeming qualities I can think of are that vocals that are already emphasized gain a sort of euphoric quality to them (like Adele. Then again, Adele sounds good on anything), and that the bass can be quite nice given the right track.

These are going right back.

I have mine sitting by my desk unopened, my return window with Amazon passed a few weeks ago, so I guess I may be selling them off. Jumped in when they went on sale on Amazon, but I just checked and they are at the same price point as  the sale price.
Your description really makes me not want to open up the packaging!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back