The discovery thread!
Jan 2, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #70,278 of 106,531
Stupid question here probably, but say I may have damaged an earphone, does continued listening pose any damage to the cable attached it?
Does it shock you when you put it in your ear and listen? If so, the cable is fine. Kidding, but if the earphone still works and the + and - of the cable aren't somehow touching, you're probably good. @Surf Monkey 's question is an important one though. Also, if it sparks and smokes, don't use it!

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #70,279 of 106,531
Does it shock you when you put it in your ear and listen? If so, the cable is fine. Kidding, but if the earphone still works and the + and - of the cable aren't somehow touching, you're probably good. @Surf Monkey 's question is an important one though. Also, if it sparks and smokes, don't use it!
Oh no, nothing crazy like that. And no static of any kind either.

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #70,280 of 106,531
Turned off amp while still plugged in caused a loud poof sound and a bit of crackle. Seems ok now but I don’t wanna risk damaging this cable if I can help it (not the same cable that was used).
Gotta be honest, that doesn't sound like you damaged it, Amp pop is pretty common. If the IEM still works normally, you're good - the cable probably had nothing to do with that and should still work fine also. You can buy a set of KZ for $20 to test that theory though if you're worried.

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #70,282 of 106,531
Are we talking like a set of Odins or Phonix or something super expensive that you're super worried about?
It’s the Allure I got recently, $100. Not a huge deal despite being a respectable phone. It just crackled a little after I switched back to my DAP but that seems to be it.

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #70,284 of 106,531
It’s the Allure I got recently, $100. Not a huge deal despite being a respectable phone. It just crackled a little after I switched back to my DAP but that seems to be it.
Yeah, as long as you're not experiencing any further issues with it, you should be good, just check your connections for any evidence of burns. IEMs are really low power overall, so as long as it is functioning normally, I doubt there's an issue. That said, I'm not there and can't check everything for you, so use you best judgement!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #70,285 of 106,531
Yeah, as long as you're not experiencing any further issues with it, you should be good, just check your connections for any evidence of burns. IEMs are really low power overall, so as long as it is functioning normally, I doubt there's an issue. That said, I'm not there are can't check everything for you, so use you best judgement!
Of course, appreciate the input.

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #70,286 of 106,531
Gotta be honest, that doesn't sound like you damaged it, Amp pop is pretty common. If the IEM still works normally, you're good - the cable probably had nothing to do with that and should still work fine also. You can buy a set of KZ for $20 to test that theory though if you're worried.

Agree. If the driver is torn or broken it won’t sound right at all. Probably just got a loud signal spike out of the amp when it clicked off.

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #70,287 of 106,531
I just don’t wanna worry about anything happening later on.
It is really hard to damage the IEM cable: drivers and the source are much weaker links in the circuit.
Not very likely, if the driver is shortened, the source may experience overload.
It is really easy to check with a simple multimeter comparing resistance of both channels.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #70,288 of 106,531
Of course, appreciate the input.
No problem. I used to do electrical engineer stuff in a previous life, and I'd say that blowing out your driver in your earbud is more likely than anything with the cable (the cable will literally just stop working if you've fried it.) Then again, I've been electrocuted several times, so maybe my advice isn't the best haha :L3000:

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #70,290 of 106,531
Man the thing is that the 200$ price bracket is very competitive now. Finding great sound in that budget is kinda Ummm difficult. Still I would say that the Yume 2 sounds decent.
I think the new Zeitan Heyday IEM is arguably the best IEM you can get under $200 right now, but we all know IEM powercreep is a very real and vicious af.

It ultimately depends on your tone preference tho which means that niche IEMs like the DUNU Falcon Pro are options for a minority of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back