The discovery thread!
Jan 2, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #70,261 of 106,540
Yep. That's how the average consumer hears it. That's why the bass driven Sennheiser CX300, Klipsch s4, and Beats IEMs were the most popular buys for YEARS, before the advent of the wireless craze.
I can't find the vomit emoji right now, but I really enjoy GOOD quality bass, not just loud bass. Also, if the Beats factory had a battery fire, I wouldn't be mad.

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #70,262 of 106,540
other than laptop use (via wired),
i use BTR5 most of the time via Bluetooth connection with my phone.
yes, direct connection might sound better but the convinience that nothing dangling on my phone wins it.

---
HiFri recently promote Canpur iem that went on 80% discount (great value on discount, not worth it on og price)
He dissect the iem and found out,

323438584_716770563103052_5396443500774315958_n.jpg

Problem is that the Heart Mirror is a single DD and the Canpur is a hybrid, so completely different implementation, despite having the same driver. Apples and oranges when it comes to sound and implementation.

My take on the teardown was that the Canpur used a driver that has proved capable when well implemented in another IEM. That of course doesn't always mean it will shine somewhere else. As I recall 30095 BA has been used everywhere over the last few years (CCA C10, KZ ZSN Pro, KZ ZS10 Pro, TRN ST1, TRN ST5, CVJ CSA etc.). I still use the CSA, but I listened to ZSN Pro just once.

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #70,263 of 106,540
Dongles are tough, some people love the THX for example, others hate it. The only one that works for me flawlessly is the Google dongle... And it doesn't get loud enough. For a tabletop amp/DAC, you'd really need to be more specific and give a price range/idea of how you'd use it.
Below 400 for the table top. I was looking for something different than a google dongle or apple dongle, which I have.

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #70,266 of 106,540
I spent some time with the reference filter on the AKG N5005. After awhile, I just couldn't deal with it. Though the details pop, and there much more air, I just couldn't get into how shouty the mids are and they become too prone to sibilance. So I took them off, and went back to the bass boost filter, and once again I achieve that creamy sound with still enough detail retrieval and resolution to satisfy the audiophile, but with more quality bass presence and treble that's still extended, but not sibilant at all.

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #70,267 of 106,540
So if you could buy only one dongle and one table top amp/sac what would it be? I mean in degree of functionality.

Dongle? Tough one. Can I grab my Topping G5? That one does everything and sounds like a typical desktop setup. It lacks the unique colouring of my Shanling DAP, but it’s more reliable for testing head-fi gears.

If you want bus-powered dongle, I can recommend Creative X1 dongle (I think they call it SXFI now). This is the only dongle in my collection that can connect to my nintendo switch. The SXFI DSP feature works great for gaming. It has no battery so it’s almost indestructible. I always keep one in my bag for random zoom call at the office or similar situations.

Desktop DAC/Amp? I would go for Fiio K7 because (1) it’s affordable (just a touch more expensive than K5, roughly same price as Topping and Schitt stacks in Australia), (2) it’s simple to use, (3) it’s full balanced, (4) it has AKM DAC.

Of course with desktop gear, sky is the limit. However I have no interest in getting susvara in near future, so I don’t need insane setup. I’m sure that if I have a chance to listen to setups across price range, I will develop a more nuanced opinion, but for now, K7 is a good deal.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #70,268 of 106,540
Below 400 for the table top. I was looking for something different than a google dongle or apple dongle, which I have.
ifi makes some of the best cheaper DAC/AMP combos - check out the ZEN series. Topping also makes some decent ones (ex5) and of course the cheaper Schiit stacks are recommended (Magni/Modi) along with the JDS labs ones (Element).

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #70,269 of 106,540
+1 for FC3. :L3000:
The FC3 is great because it's cheap and it usually works - also it sounds good and can MQA pretty OK with a decent amount of power. The FC3 is NOT good because the HiBy software is buggy and messes with the native Tidal app; every time you plug it in it requires you to hit OK to allow access to the DAC; it loses connection super easily if you bump the USB C, or just pick it up wrong; it can't decide if it wants you to control the volume from the DAC or from your phone; you CAN'T use the native Tidal app with any of its good features; MQA requires a subscription, which is only free if you buy it new. So uhh...yeah, it's a great price, and works OK, but I do have a lot of complaints about it.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #70,270 of 106,540
Dongle? Tough one. Can I grab my Topping G5? That one does everything and sounds like a typical desktop setup. It lacks the unique colouring of my Shanling DAP, but it’s more reliable for testing head-fi gears.

If you want bus-powered dongle, I can recommend Creative X1 dongle (I think they call it SXFI now). This is the only dongle in my collection that can connect to my nintendo switch. The SXFI DSP feature works great for gaming. It has no battery so it’s almost indestructible. I always keep one in my bag for random zoom call at the office or similar situations.

Desktop DAC/Amp? I would go for Fiio K7 because (1) it’s affordable (just a touch more expensive than K5, roughly same price as Topping and Schitt stacks in Australia), (2) it’s simple to use, (3) it’s full balanced, (4) it has AKM DAC.

Of course with desktop gear, sky is the limit. However I have no interest in getting susvara in near future, so I don’t need insane setup. I’m sure that if I have a chance to listen to setups across price range, I will develop a more nuanced opinion, but for now, K7 is a good deal.
Fiio can make some decent stuff, but I've also had more quality control issues with Fiio than any other audio company - the K9 pro ess I just bought didn't work at all and I've had a mobile DAC/AMP of theirs just die on me with no warning. That doesn't mean it'll happen to anyone else, and it doesn't mean other companies don't have their issues too - just a thought.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #70,271 of 106,540
The FC3 is great because it's cheap and it usually works - also it sounds good and can MQA pretty OK with a decent amount of power. The FC3 is NOT good because the HiBy software is buggy and messes with the native Tidal app; every time you plug it in it requires you to hit OK to allow access to the DAC; it loses connection super easily if you bump the USB C, or just pick it up wrong; it can't decide if it wants you to control the volume from the DAC or from your phone; you CAN'T use the native Tidal app with any of its good features; MQA requires a subscription, which is only free if you buy it new. So uhh...yeah, it's a great price, and works OK, but I do have a lot of complaints about it.

I don’t use HiBy’s software with mine.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #70,272 of 106,540
Fiio can make some decent stuff, but I've also had more quality control issues with Fiio than any other audio company - the K9 pro ess I just bought didn't work at all and I've had a mobile DAC/AMP of theirs just die on me with no warning. That doesn't mean it'll happen to anyone else, and it doesn't mean other companies don't have their issues too - just a thought.
I remember speaking to another head-fier on this thread about his broken FH3, so yeah, there can be issues. I personally have not experienced any issue with Fiio (luckily) and found that the QC of their IEMs and earbuds are very tight. As you know, buds are very difficult to ensure channel balance, but both FF3 and FF5 measure as tight as IEMs.

To be fair, if we talk about unlucky incidents, then both Topping and Schiit have fried their customers headphones in the past :beyersmile: Ever since reading about those incidents, I learned the good habit of following the sequence: amp on, gear in, check volume, and then put the gear in my ears. I used to do things in reverse order.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #70,274 of 106,540
I remember speaking to another head-fier on this thread about his broken FH3, so yeah, there can be issues. I personally have not experienced any issue with Fiio (luckily) and found that the QC of their IEMs and earbuds are very tight. As you know, buds are very difficult to ensure channel balance, but both FF3 and FF5 measure as tight as IEMs.

To be fair, if we talk about unlucky incidents, then both Topping and Schiit have fried their customers headphones in the past :beyersmile: Ever since reading about those incidents, I learned the good habit of following the sequence: amp on, gear in, check volume, and then put the gear in my ears. I use do things in reverse order.
Ha, my Topping ex5 just randomly stopped doing MQA one day - of course after I sold it to a friend, he had no issues and it worked great for him. No clue how that happened. My Burson dang near trashed a set of headphones a few days ago because it ships on high gain and the headphones were at listening volume at 1/100 - I had it higher than that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back