The discovery thread!
Nov 15, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #67,321 of 106,788
Interesting. These are far more substantial changes than the typical collaboration. The comment about “swapped in a new planar driver” is concerning to me. In fact the changes listed are so comprehensive that it could sound like a completely different set,

I like the original Wu a lot. I’ll be interested to see how these new ones graph and how they compare to the OG.
That's because it is a NEW IEM. When you change everything about the original, including the driver, it's not related anymore except in name only. There is no shared DNA, so it's like calling your adopted relative a brother. In name only. Just call them the Tangzu Hey Day and you'll be more in line with what it is. It's not a Wu.

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #67,322 of 106,788
Its been a month or so, but KZ stated that they have revised their Planar driver and will be sold in, KZ PR1 Pro.
Extra info on KZ PR1 Pro, from kz rep in discord

Here is more details about upcoming KZ PR1 PRO.
From PR1 (Balanced/HIFI edition) to PR1 PRO , here are the upgrade points :

a.) The faceplate color will be different , the last version is matt silver color, the new version will be glossy shiny silver color.
b.) The whole driver height is much taller than previous planar driver.
c.) Upgrade the magnetic circuit structure
d.) Upgrade the diaphragm circuit
e.) Reduce the sibilants
f.) Easier to drive
g.) Cable upgrade
h.) New ear tips.
I.) Tuning signature upgrade:
*9k-10k treble sensitivity reduced, figure out the issue of too much treble.
*200hz sensitivity reduced around -1dB , in order to make the vocal to be clearer and more clean.
*1khz sensitivity increased, so as to make the clearly difference between bass, mids, treble, and upper treble
-

tl;dr, new cosmetic+cable+eartips, revised driver, reduced bass and treble, increased 1khz
(50% discount if you have bought Pla13 or previous PR1 in KZ official store. apparently will be available later today and sold in higher price than standard PR1 due to upgraded acc)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #67,323 of 106,788
NX7 MK4 note:

After examining the tuning nozzle ends it’s evident that the red one has no filter material in it, the gold has a thin filter and the black has a thicker filter.

I’ve switched to the red for now. I’m really not hearing any limitation to the sound stage. I’ve been switching back and forth between the NX7 MK4 and the Penon Fan 2. Both have similarly large stages. The NX7 MK4 may sound smaller to some due to the elevated sub bass compared to the Fan. The bass on the NX7 MK4 can draw your attention back in.

Regardless, after ample run in I think this is a fantastic set. Addicting. It’s V shaped but crisp and clear across all the frequencies. Nothing sounds recessed. They’re cheap too. I hope more people try them. They’re really good and a massive bargain IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #67,324 of 106,788
NX7 MK4 note:

After examining the tuning nozzle ends it’s evident that the red one has no filter material in it, the gold has a thin filter and the black has a thicker filter.

I’ve switched to the red for now. I’m really not hearing any limitation to the sound stage. I’ve been switching back and forth between the NX7 MK4 and the Penon Fan 2. Both have similarly large stages. The NX7 MK4 may sound smaller to some due to the elevated sub bass compared to the Fan. The bass on the NX7 MK4 can draw your attention back in.

Regardless, after ample run in I think this is a fantastic set. Addicting. It’s V shaped but crisp and clear across all the frequencies. Nothing sounds recessed. They’re cheap too. I hope more people try them. They’re really good and a massive bargain IMO.

Totally agree. 100%.

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #67,325 of 106,788
Nov 16, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #67,327 of 106,788
NX7 MK4 note:

I guess I'm spoiled by the ISN H50 which has an extremely wide and en enveloping stage. That's a $295 set though, but still. I have definitely heard better stage dimensions at half the price of the NX7 MK4. It's still a great set however, we agree there 👍🏻

Nov 16, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #67,328 of 106,788
Posted my findings over on the Tri sub: link
...and highly informative findings they were too. Good to hear you like the TRI Starlights as much I do.

With the Starlights as your reference point, you make a good point about how varied our individual perception of sound is.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #67,334 of 106,788
Yume 2 came as a surprise package to me. With the mid-centric tonality of the OG Yume, I was expecting something similar with the Yume 2. But man, this little beauty is a surprise package with bringing a lot of improvements over the OG model. The bass precisely is much tighter and much better controlled than the OG Yume. The midrange is as lovely and as rich as the OG Yume if not better. Treble has got improved presence with better extensions as well.

Not to mention the outstandingly beautiful shells <3
yume 2 new image.jpg

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #67,335 of 106,788
Yume 2 came as a surprise package to me. With the mid-centric tonality of the OG Yume, I was expecting something similar with the Yume 2. But man, this little beauty is a surprise package with bringing a lot of improvements over the OG model. The bass precisely is much tighter and much better controlled than the OG Yume. The midrange is as lovely and as rich as the OG Yume if not better. Treble has got improved presence with better extensions as well.

Not to mention the outstandingly beautiful shells <3
yume 2 new image.jpg
Fully agree, but let me add this. The new Knowles RAD high frequency BA is literally rad. I never heard that much and well implemented treble extension/air in any IEM.
The Yume 2 sparkles like its shiny shell in a full moon starry sky. In the first hours I thought it's a bit much but after a while I got used to it and it became simply addicting and fascinating to dig out the treble heavy tracks in my library. Very happy right now got two 5 star IEMs in a row (Allure and Yume 2).

1668621978285.png

Yume 2 with DDHIFI ST35 tips (great tips btw)
1668621687651.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back