The discovery thread!
Sep 26, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #65,372 of 103,167
I have tested a prototype at the Munich High End show and it sounded very interesting.
I am keen on it too let's see if I can arrange the budget.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #65,373 of 103,167
TRN ST5 first impressions:

I get how some could think the treble/upper midrange could be slightly bright and intense. My first player, the Sony WM1A was absolutely bright, and slightly forward with the treble/upper midrange intensity. Though a fast change to the TA desktop showed the TRN ST5 to be very revealing of source. With the TA desktop smoothness the ST5 was really in the zone........the detailed and acceptable intensity zone, though not sure what it will be like listening long term, or post burn-in? The Sony WM1Z will be interesting as it also has a forward brighter treble.......where the Sony 1A is more midrange forward. But at least it seems workable, though maybe slightly more bright and intense than the TRN BAX, going by memory? The BAX (as I remember it) had a slightly more plush treble, of course due to EST personality. Still for the money they are asking, the ST5 is truly something special I think? Still only moments into the listening, but first impressions are an important thing, and lead the way to what ever options surface later.

Construction is remarkable. I'm not using the included cable, but just simply clicked on the BAX cable and wide-bore tips. But the overall feel/size is much more accessible than the BAX, with a common size and weight. Fit due to the nozzle angle is great, as well as insertion depth. Fit and finish of the complete IEM structure is really something to behold, with clean lines and seamless feel-proof construction! It can only get better with burn-in, at least that has always been my IEM experience so far.

Bass at this point (going off BAX memory) seems more curtailed......but also there is a probably more accessible sonic balance, where many are not going to find the ST5 as flamboyant or bombastic.........thus less contrasty than the BAX? Simply more mainstream-tune maybe? I'm still wondering if the detail I'm hearing in real or due to such intense forwardness of the BAs.......maybe both? I kinda knew this is what we would have before opening the box, but guessed it slightly more relaxed treble beforehand? Lets see what burn-in does! I'm hopping the upper midrange will open-up and the treble will become slightly more relaxed? Still nothing I can't deal with if it stays like this. As far as I'm concerned there are ranges of brightness and forwardness and everything isn't always so black and white.
1 IEM.jpeg
https://www.linsoul.com/products/trn-st5
https://www.headphonesty.com/2022/09/review-trn-st5/
It's interesting how in this review he states that: "TRN ST5 – ST Stands for Sonically Tepid" !!

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #65,374 of 103,167
I'm a bit late to the party but here's my quick comparison review of the Moondrop Aria Snow Edition, the slightly different tuned version of their extremely popular $80 single dynamic driver IEM - Aria.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #65,375 of 103,167
Questyle M15 is hands down the best dongle I've tried so far. Sounds surprisingly similar to my desk CMA-400i and the flagship CMA Fifteen.

No other dongle I've tried brings that same level of refinement, including the L&P W2, Lotoo PAW S2, and Quloos MC01.

IMG_9815.jpg

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #65,376 of 103,167
Questyle M15 is hands down the best dongle I've tried so far. Sounds surprisingly similar to my desk CMA-400i and the flagship CMA Fifteen.

No other dongle I've tried brings that same level of refinement, including the L&P W2, Lotoo PAW S2, and Quloos MC01.

IMG_9815.jpg
Great shot of a great device bro. I am personally super impressed with the M15. An absolutely brilliant device to listen to.

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #65,377 of 103,167
I'm a bit late to the party but here's my quick comparison review of the Moondrop Aria Snow Edition, the slightly different tuned version of their extremely popular $80 single dynamic driver IEM - Aria.

Would be nice to see if smb could compare Aria se to Titan s.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #65,378 of 103,167

No other DAC dongle I've heard (and I've heard a few by this point) unearths as much sheer texture as the M15. It just digs into and beyond the surface detail. Very micro-dynamic oriented. It does not pair well with neutral or bright sets. I submit that it pairs best with natural, warm sounding sets... Clarity upon clarity becomes overly dry, shrivelled almost. 😅

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #65,380 of 103,167
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #65,381 of 103,167
What are the dots near the pins indicating?
Polarity.
Blue denotes minus.
Most 2-pin cables have the blue dot as well.
So a good idea for this type of a symmetric IEM to assure that polarity won't be accidentally inverted.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #65,382 of 103,167
What are the dots near the pins indicating?
I presume there are matching dots to orientate on the 2 pin connectors. It would only make sense if there were no earhooks on the cable. I even went back and checked my P1 Max and T3+. No dots on either of those.

Maybe someone at TinHifi thinks that 2 pin connectors are too hard for MMCX users to understand?

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #65,383 of 103,167
I presume there are matching dots to orientate on the 2 pin connectors. It would only make sense if there were no earhooks on the cable. I even went back and checked my P1 Max and T3+. No dots on either of those.

Maybe someone at TinHifi thinks that 2 pin connectors are too hard for MMCX users to understand?
Have you ever seen a MMCX to 2 pin adapter? You will need those things if you own a FiiO UTWS3 or a Shanling MW200 BT device.
A proper indication of the polarity is a very nice thing to have.
Cheers.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #65,384 of 103,167

I'm also a bit late to the Aria SE party, They are my first Moondrop and arrived recently. My first reaction to them was they needed a bit of power. I see they are 32ohm, although very sensitive. Was the 2021 Aria 32 ohms as well?

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #65,385 of 103,167
Would be nice to see if smb could compare Aria se to Titan s.

The Titan S has a tinge better technicalities than the Snow Edition and it also has a more analytical signature. However, the Titan S is a bit more shouty in the upper midrange and also displays more sibilance.

Fit is a bit more awkward on the Titan S due to the long nozzles, and the cable is quite tangly on the Titan S.

I see the 2 as quite sidegradish.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back