The discovery thread!
May 9, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #62,791 of 100,679
Yupp. MCX and MMCX connectors are used everywhere in tons of applications. The trouble here are users who don't know how to properly disconnect MMCX. They pull first, realize this does not work and sure enough they pull and bend a bit. Do this ten times and the connector is toast. The trick is to rotate and pull at the same time. Easy. Piece of cake.
Cheers.

TinHIFI has a real QC issue with their MMCX in their budget models.

I have their Tin T2, Tin T2 Evo and Tin T2 Plus, all came with wonky MMCX out of the box or after just a few cable changes. One was so tight that the cable couldn't go in, the other 2 had so loose MMCX that the IEM was spinning like a windvane when connected (with intermittent sound cut out). There are other reports in forums for MMCX issues with these models (including the Tin T4).

I always use a Final MMCX removal tool to remove MMCX and am very careful during removal, so it is not from improper disconnection. I managed to fix these MMCX problems with some mods, via a screwdriver to tighten/loosen the MMCX connector, but I don't think many others will attempt to salvage the thing and will just ask for a refund or throw it in a drawer.

Also, MMCX come in various quality, from cheap (presumably lower quality ones) to high end ones used in TOTL models. So the cheap ones tend to get loose after multiple cable changes, possibly due to metal fatigue.

May 9, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #62,792 of 100,679
Yupp. MCX and MMCX connectors are used everywhere in tons of applications. The trouble here are users who don't know how to properly disconnect MMCX. They pull first, realize this does not work and sure enough they pull and bend a bit. Do this ten times and the connector is toast. The trick is to rotate and pull at the same time. Easy. Piece of cake.
Cheers.
Well, yes and no. Sure some is user error, but some MMCX implementations really are shoddy.

May 9, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #62,793 of 100,679
Well, yes and no. Sure some is user error, but some MMCX implementations really are shoddy.
I'll give you that.
I would gladly pay more to get good quality MMCX, because it pi$$e$ me off that we have now - how many 2 pin variations? Recessed, raised, squared, round and what not. The fit is not the same either, so in short: different strokes for different folks...

Cheers.

May 9, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #62,794 of 100,679
TinHIFI has a real QC issue with their MMCX in their budget models.

I have their Tin T2, Tin T2 Evo and Tin T2 Plus, all came with wonky MMCX out of the box or after just a few cable changes. One was so tight that the cable couldn't go in, the other 2 had so loose MMCX that the IEM was spinning like a windvane when connected (with intermittent sound cut out). There are other reports in forums for MMCX issues with these models (including the Tin T4).

I always use a Final MMCX removal tool to remove MMCX and am very careful during removal, so it is not from improper disconnection. I managed to fix these MMCX problems with some mods, via a screwdriver to tighten/loosen the MMCX connector, but I don't think many others will attempt to salvage the thing and will just ask for a refund or throw it in a drawer.

Also, MMCX come in various quality, from cheap (presumably lower quality ones) to high end ones used in TOTL models. So the cheap ones tend to get loose after multiple cable changes, possibly due to metal fatigue.
Not MMCX but another cylindrical connector ATH A2DC, it ate the og cable in half a year and proceed to eat another 2 in around a year.
(another 1 broken in mic connection, not A2DC issue). the port in my ath-e40 still fine but not sure why the cable is brittle.

Didn't have such problem with 2-pin. I avoid MMCX because i'm afraid that it'll repeat my A2DC experience.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #62,795 of 100,679
I would gladly pay more to get good quality MMCX, because it pi$$e$ me off that we have now - how many 2 pin variations? Recessed, raised, squared, round and what not. The fit is not the same either, so in short: different strokes for different folks...

Cheers.

That's actually a very good point for using MMCX despite how dodgy the cable connections can be (Super tight or flimsy.) which is why I don't like MMCX connectors and prefer 2-pin.

I actually forgot how many variants of 2-pin cables exist, it's funny because my Softears Volume isn't compatible with any 2-pin cables I have laying around except the stock cable because the Volume uses a recessed 2-pin cable instead of standard 2-pin most IEMs use.

Not even the Bravery stock cable works despite being the same type of cable because the bit of plastic doesn't fit

Genius design.

May 10, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #62,796 of 100,679
Elixir by THIEAUDIO
elixir in use.jpeg

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #62,797 of 100,679
One slightly odd question - How thick is the SG-01 OVA, and do you think they'd be comfortable for use while sleeping?
Since they have a shallow case, I've been using the Pizen PianoTrio to provide isolation, and to play droning-type sleeping tracks, since 2018.
My other earphones that are shallow enough to be comfortable while sleeping, are the, Kinera BA05, the Rose Aurora, and the Tennmak Pro.
IMG20220510143801.jpg
IMG20220510143811.jpg

Left to right: Tripowin TC01 (my current sleep choice), Heart Mirror, KBEar KB04, Original SG01, Geek World GK10 (I see you have this in your signature)

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #62,798 of 100,679
Cheers.
I believe it's an easy way to put the blame on the users. If many says that they don't last long, including the ones here who have years of experience, I think I'd also question producers rather than the users.

There's a ring around every mmcx male connector that holds the connection. Here's a video for you that fiio released how to make mmcx connector tighter by making the gap bigger:

The more you plug/unplug, the looser it gets. So, It's not about rotating while plugging it off.

Some brands uses this ring without a gap. At that point, the quality of the female port is questionable. Surely, some brands uses low quality that that the port is getting wider in time, therefore loose...

Here's a comment from a user under the video:

SmartSelect_20220510-111207.jpg

I see you also mentioned that there are many 2 pin types. However, I have never had issue when I buy third party cable. Just buy .78 and you're ready to go with any 2 pin connector.

SmartSelect_20220510-105332_AliExpress.jpg

Some may say that mmcx rotates and it's easy with comfort/fit. I disagree to that as well. Eventually, every cable bends. Even if you buy a cable with ear hook, you can shape it. Maybe some rotation might be required for the IEM inside the ear due to its ergonomics. However, if you ask me, 'durability vs comfort?' You know my answer already.

With one exception, I remember a brand s..f.. Used a different type of mmcx connector. I hope putting a picture of it won't be a problem as I believe it is one of the unique implementations. For example, mt300:
SmartSelect_20220510-105946_Opera.jpg

As you see there's a screw which covers the mmcx connectors and keeps them in place tight and secure. They still easily rotate and I had no problem with these at all.

When I go for a trip, it always get my attention that I hesitate to take the ones with mmcx connection considering a situation that I might need to put them in my pocket rather keeping them in the case, or somehow bend them while they're attached. I have lz a7 and it's already having problem with the left unit that the sound cuts off. So, I'd say if there's not a secure way to keep it intact or if they don't use a good quality mmcx plugs, no way! 2 pin is always better. Especially when you buy chi-fi IEMs that they usually struggle with qc problems...

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #62,799 of 100,679
That's actually a very good point for using MMCX despite how dodgy the cable connections can be (Super tight or flimsy.) which is why I don't like MMCX connectors and prefer 2-pin.

I actually forgot how many variants of 2-pin cables exist, it's funny because my Softears Volume isn't compatible with any 2-pin cables I have laying around except the stock cable because the Volume uses a recessed 2-pin cable instead of standard 2-pin most IEMs use.

Not even the Bravery stock cable works despite being the same type of cable because the bit of plastic doesn't fit

Genius design.
2 pin connectors are the worst connectors because of this. It's not possible to guarantee that a new 2 pin cable will fit. MMCX and qdc are much better connectors. I wish qdc connectors would be more widely used. KZ and CCA really understood how good qdc connectors are. If you like ear hooks in your cables they're just perfect. No connector is more easy to slide on. Recently I found a 2 pin to qdc adapter on AliExpress. Finally my Starfield is gonna get a new cable.

May 10, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #62,800 of 100,679
IMG20220510143801.jpgIMG20220510143811.jpg

Left to right: Tripowin TC01 (my current sleep choice), Heart Mirror, KBEar KB04, Original SG01, Geek World GK10 (I see you have this in your signature)

Now - A related question: Can someone point out a good 0.78mm 2-pin cable that has Volume Control Buttons, and is fairly thin where it wraps over-the-ear? Thanks!

May 10, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #62,801 of 100,679
May 10, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #62,802 of 100,679
OPENHEART does an 8 core with volume control
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004223809556.html

JCALLY does 8 and 16 core with mic but no volume

TRN does 6 core with mic and no volume

While that OpenHeart cable looks nice - I already have a good MMCX cable with Volume Control Buttons. Plus, it looks pretty thick, and would probably be uncomfortable pressed between my ear and head, when trying to sleep.
Specifically - If I'm going to try one of the 0.78mm 2-pin IEMs while sleeping, I need a thin 0.78mm 2-pin cable that has Volume Control Buttons.

May 10, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #62,803 of 100,679
I believe it's an easy way to put the blame on the users. If many says that they don't last long, including the ones here who have years of experience, I think I'd also question producers rather than the users.

There's a ring around every mmcx male connector that holds the connection. Here's a video for you that fiio released how to make mmcx connector tighter by making the gap bigger:

The more you plug/unplug, the looser it gets. So, It's not about rotating while plugging it off.

Some brands uses this ring without a gap. At that point, the quality of the female port is questionable. Surely, some brands uses low quality that that the port is getting wider in time, therefore loose...

Here's a comment from a user under the video:

I see you also mentioned that there are many 2 pin types. However, I have never had issue when I buy third party cable. Just buy .78 and you're ready to go with any 2 pin connector.

Some may say that mmcx rotates and it's easy with comfort/fit. I disagree to that as well. Eventually, every cable bends. Even if you buy a cable with ear hook, you can shape it. Maybe some rotation might be required for the IEM inside the ear due to its ergonomics. However, if you ask me, 'durability vs comfort?' You know my answer already.

With one exception, I remember a brand s..f.. Used a different type of mmcx connector. I hope putting a picture of it won't be a problem as I believe it is one of the unique implementations. For example, mt300:

As you see there's a screw which covers the mmcx connectors and keeps them in place tight and secure. They still easily rotate and I had no problem with these at all.

When I go for a trip, it always get my attention that I hesitate to take the ones with mmcx connection considering a situation that I might need to put them in my pocket rather keeping them in the case, or somehow bend them while they're attached. I have lz a7 and it's already having problem with the left unit that the sound cuts off. So, I'd say if there's not a secure way to keep it intact or if they don't use a good quality mmcx plugs, no way! 2 pin is always better. Especially when you buy chi-fi IEMs that they usually struggle with qc problems...

I definitely believe that some people have gotten IEMs with bad/low quality MMCX. Luckily, I haven't experienced that. For instance, I have the original TRI I3, and the MMCX is still fine. The I3 was later revised to offer a 2-pin connection, which some people reported issues with here, so quality problems aren't exclusively an MMCX problem. Also worth noting is that a number of TOTL IEMs use MMCX, and I haven't read reports of it being an issue for those customers.

It's unfortunate that a healthy QC process isn't happening with many overseas companies where they provide a support process that would track design/build issues and remediate them, both internally by revising the IEM and then supporting end-users by offering repairs/replacements, or, in extreme cases, a product recall.

People here often positively effuse about the affordability of overseas IEMs, but don't often connect that affordability with reduced QC and post-sales support, instead often implying that we're being "overcharged" by traditional domestic companies.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #62,804 of 100,679
I personally consider the 2-pin pull sensation very mild. So its easy for me favor its durability over MMCX ergonomics.

...and after read the whole discussion here, I think MMCX is a wonderful option indeed - if you are not buying a budget IEM.

(maybe risk S**fer trying to improve it...)

May 10, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #62,805 of 100,679
While that OpenHeart cable looks nice - I already have a good MMCX cable with Volume Control Buttons. Plus, it looks pretty thick, and would probably be uncomfortable pressed between my ear and head, when trying to sleep.
Specifically - If I'm going to try one of the 0.78mm 2-pin IEMs while sleeping, I need a thin 0.78mm 2-pin cable that has Volume Control Buttons.

I found a 0.78mm 2-pin cable with Volume Control Buttons from 64 Audio, but it's pretty expensive, at $60 - https://www.64audio.com/products/cable-with-mic-1
With a bit more searching, I finally found some less expensive cables (with thin-ish wires) on AliExpress:
One for $10.50 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003087277450.html
One On-Sale for $6 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800279725540.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back