The discovery thread!
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #62,536 of 100,493
Of course I'm saying it doesn't look good to me, you're allowed to disagree, I'm aware that it's an opinion. In my experience however, my hunches when gauging how an IEM sounds based on graphs have more or less been right, otherwise I wouldn't put much stock in them. I do think most people would agree that frequency responses that closely resemble the harman curve sound correct and non fatiguing, though I do prefer more energy in the upper treble regions and less energy in the bass.
Depends on whether the graphs are from the same person/rig and on the same axes. It's quite reasonable to make interpolations of Crinacle's data.

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #62,537 of 100,493
I should maybe reinvestigate graphs! Maybe? Lol

So.....you go by “hunches”, I thought you pretended to hear them? But still since you write them off by just reading the graph, doesn’t that mean the odds are your not going to ever hear them? So? You are reading the graphs, dislike them, then hear them? Or you get opinions about them later from others that heard them, and tried them?
The reality is that many of us have absolutely no opportunity to demo IEMs and limited if any ability to return IEMs that don’t suit us. So the only two major sources we have to go on to make purchasing decisions are graphs and reviews. Obviously both are very fallible, but when we’re talking about dropping hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a blind buy, we have to do our best with the limited information we have to go on to predict whether the purchase is worth the risk.

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #62,538 of 100,493
Not general consensus, but just my own opinion:

The OLA is a very technical set, superb imaging, indeed it is not so easy to find such good technical performance at sub $50. In fact, it has about the same technicalities as the hyped Heart Mirror.

The OLA is tuned to the HRTF curve (head related transfer function), which boosts the 2kHz to 5 kHz regions. However, this curve does not boost a single frequency, but rather, affects a broader range, unlike for example some Moondrop types which boost only 3 kHz. In essence, the OLA is not that shouty or fatiguing as such, assuming a good fit is obtained.

Graph of OLA via IEC711 compliant coupler.

However, the big elephant in the room though, is the awful fit. The fit is as bad as the notorious BLON BL-03.

Due to the short nozzle and unorthodox round shells, the OLA may cause discomfort if the round shells press on the concha of the ears. Other than discomfort, a suboptimal fit will result in a change in sonic presentation: lack of seal = lack of bass and things get shouty. With the stock tips, inserting the OLA deeper will make the bass frequencies more prominent, whereas a too shallow insertion will cause the upper midrange to be thin and even veer to shouty territory.

The stock tips don't give good fit for me unfortunately, and one might need to spend a bit more to secure aftermarket longer nozzle eartips, which adds to costs. I have to frequently readjust the IEM even with longer tips like spinfits, so as to prevent the OLA from dropping out of my ears. There seems to be different opinions on the sound of the OLA, which I suspect is related to the fit.

But of course fit is a YMMV situation due to our different ear anatomies, but so far the general consensus among forum members and reviews is the fit is hit or miss on the OLA. A big pity, as the tuning and technical performance is very good for the coin, but let down by an achilles' heel of poor fit. If possible I would suggest you try to audition a pair at a local store or get some long nozzle eartips/foam tips on standby prior to purchasing the OLA.
Given that blon 03 fits me great with OLA fit be any same ?

And is it just me or the MEXT has a bigger body that MEST MK2 ?

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #62,539 of 100,493
Given that blon 03 fits me great with OLA fit be any same ?

And is it just me or the MEXT has a bigger body that MEST MK2 ?
The hard edges on the OLA could be an issue. 03 fit me great as well, my solution was to cut a ring out of the spacers you get with SpinFit CP240 to fit down the nozzle before the ear tip, problem solved.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #62,540 of 100,493
The reality is that many of us have absolutely no opportunity to demo IEMs and limited if any ability to return IEMs that don’t suit us. So the only two major sources we have to go on to make purchasing decisions are graphs and reviews. Obviously both are very fallible, but when we’re talking about dropping hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a blind buy, we have to do our best with the limited information we have to go on to predict whether the purchase is worth the risk.
Right, I understand that. But this whole talk started with a derogatory opinion by simply reading the graph. All I’m talkin about is reading way too much into them.
The kind of response you expect from a hybrid, lots of coverage but too contrasty.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #62,541 of 100,493
The eagle has landed. No measurements unfortunately.
D660C258-79F7-4E9F-BE3D-80C7B0EC70D5.jpeg

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #62,542 of 100,493
Right, I understand that. But this whole talk started with a derogatory opinion by simply reading the graph. All I’m talkin about is reading way too much into them.
I would tend to give @Jmop the benefit of the doubt in that he was probably not intending to be giving the “final word” on the IEM but rather just what he surmised from the graph. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve learned from a fair bit of personal experience that we can often infer a lot that’s written (especially online) which the author did not actually intend.

Not trying to give you a hard time either, and forgive me if I came across that way! I definitely agree with your point that graphs can only tell us a portion of the story, sometimes not even a very big one at that.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #62,544 of 100,493
DSC_0008.jpg

Aftermarket cables and tips.
DSC_0024.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #62,545 of 100,493
still I would rather hear them than judge a graph.
I think you may be taking this way too literally and to an extreme…. While you would rather hear an IEM than judge a graph, the vast, vast, vast, and yes, vast, majority of consumers do not have this option. Graphs serve a purpose, as imperfect as they may be, as a filter so people can focus their purchases. For me I can say that **in general** IEMs I have liked the tuning of have a frequency response that is roughly similar, and **every** IEM I hate the tuning of does not have a frequency response that is similar to those I liked. And the tuning you like is probably different than what I desire, so graphs help us interpret what a reviewer says.

I will stress that tuning is all that I get from the graphs, and any other things like sound stage or dynamics are not well represented. Granted my sample size is small, but I have more than 30, so not tiny.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #62,546 of 100,493
I think you may be taking this way too literally and to an extreme…. While you would rather hear an IEM than judge a graph, the vast, vast, vast, and yes, vast, majority of consumers do not have this option. Graphs serve a purpose, as imperfect as they may be, as a filter so people can focus their purchases. For me I can say that **in general** every IEM I have liked the tuning of has a frequency response that is roughly similar, and **every** IEM I hate the tuning of does not have a frequency response that is similar to those I liked. And the tuning you like is probably different than what I desire, so graphs help us interpret what a reviewer says.

I will stress that tuning is all that I get from the graphs, and any other things like sound stage or dynamics are not well represented. Granted my sample size is small, but I have more than 30, so not tiny.
Not well represented? They are not represented at all? And you don't even get the true tuning? It's OK. I'm not going to respond to anymore posts regarding this subject. I'm happy you have a system in place that works for you.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #62,547 of 100,493
I think you may be taking this way too literally and to an extreme…. While you would rather hear an IEM than judge a graph, the vast, vast, vast, and yes, vast, majority of consumers do not have this option. Graphs serve a purpose, as imperfect as they may be, as a filter so people can focus their purchases. For me I can say that **in general** IEMs I have liked the tuning of have a frequency response that is roughly similar, and **every** IEM I hate the tuning of does not have a frequency response that is similar to those I liked. And the tuning you like is probably different than what I desire, so graphs help us interpret what a reviewer says.

One of the limitations of the current generation of the graphs - they are linear frequency sweeps, so they do not have information on cross-coupling and complex dynamics.
To give an relevant example/illustration: Blon 03 is a really great IEM in simple tracks, but it gets overwhelmed and starts to sound progressively cardboard-like to my ears with more complex music, like symphonic recordings.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #62,548 of 100,493

Not having access to audition IEMs is awkward. Every review is subjective. Graphs are produced on different rigs, same for sound comparison videos. This has been a reality of Covid over the last few years, even for those who are not geographically isolated.

BUT

You can make use of sound comparison videos to gain an insight into similarity or difference of signatures between IEMs (just don't try to use a BLON BL-03 to evaluate Olina vs Oxygen). Some things won't come across due to lower quality and compression of sound on YouTube. You can hear differences in tonality as well as presence of harshness or sibilance. Imaging, detail and soundstage, not so much.

Get to know which reviewers have similar or different tastes to your own. Also take note of reviews who praise everything they hear, or diss everything except their favorite IEM. Don't ignore graphs, but don't expect that graphs from two different rigs are as useful as graphs produced on the same rig.

We have varying levels of degradation over time of our hearing. Someone who has had long occupational (or recreational) exposure to high levels of sound will have damaged hearing, particularly in higher frequencies. So treble heads who criticize bass tuning as being inferior or immature, probably have damaged hearing, rather than golden ears.

Lastly bear in mind that we all have different preferences. If you enjoy what you hear, then be happy! :L3000:

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #62,549 of 100,493
Not well represented? They are not represented at all? And you don't even get the true tuning? It's OK. I'm not going to respond to anymore posts regarding this subject. I'm happy you have a system in place that works for you.
I may be wrong and I am happy to have you explain why I am wrong, but I am saying that sound stage and dynamics are not well measured by frequency response graphs, I am agreeing with what I think you were saying that frequency response graphs are neither perfect or ideal, but I am stressing they do have their uses (in particular to give a sense of the tuning). Sort of like steak… I can appreciate the care that went into cooking a rare steak, and the overall presentation on the plate, but as I don’t like rare steaks, knowing it is rare helps me filter out the choice…

Maybe I am wrong…. If I am I hope you will share how I can use a frequency response graph to gauge dynamics or sound stage.

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #62,550 of 100,493
I would tend to give @Jmop the benefit of the doubt in that he was probably not intending to be giving the “final word” on the IEM but rather just what he surmised from the graph. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve learned from a fair bit of personal experience that we can often infer a lot that’s written (especially online) which the author did not actually intend.

Not trying to give you a hard time either, and forgive me if I came across that way! I definitely agree with your point that graphs can only tell us a portion of the story, sometimes not even a very big one at that.
Yes, I see your point. Absolutely. Like he was saying his drink was a tad too strong. I totally get your point. Not the final word.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back