The discovery thread!
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #61,651 of 104,201
Saw this mentioned on the "Portable tube amp from china?" thread.
Turns out to be basically what I was wanting to do, with mods to the Little Bear B4-X.
The B4-X has a Single-Ended Input, a pair of small Raytheon RF tubes in the preamp section, with a pair of dual channel op-amps driving the Single-Ended and Balanced Outputs.
I had an idea of modifying it to have a Balanced Input, two additional tubes, and more battery life & stronger power supply - that can operate while connected to external power to charge. (The B4-X can operate for ~4 - 4.5 hours, and then has to charge for ~2 - 2.5 hours, before being used again.)

Enter - the KAEI TAP-1S - Fully Balanced Tube Hybrid Portable Amp & Desktop Power Supply - 4x tubes in preamp, 2x socketed op-amps in driver stage, discrete transistor output stage - Input (3.5mm TRS & 4.4mm TRRRS); Output (3.5mm TRS & 4.4mm TRRRS) (portable = 1.5-W/Ch ; desktop = 2.45-W/Ch)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002983396935.html

I really do like the sound of this Tube Hybrid Amp.

For those of you have have tried mods on the Zishan DSD and DSDs - the TAP-1S unfortunately shares the same sort case, with end-caps that come off, and a pair of circuit boards that slide into the case from the end. This limits the height of replacement op-amps to possibly using a Burson V5i. It would be much easier to do op-amp rolling, if the case was like the Zishan Z1/Z2/Z3 - where the top of the case can be removed, allowing easy access to the op-amp sockets, while the circuit boards are protected by the case bottom. So, now I'm thinking of ways to cut the sides (but still keep things securely attached together) - to allow the top to be removed.

One thing that I'm a bit curious / skeptical about, on the sale page of the TAP-1S, is that they say they're using a pair of MUSES02 Op-Amps in the sockets.
Buying from vendors like Mouser & Digi-Key in the US, the MUSES02 is ~$50 each.
On AliExpress, I see MUSES02 (with the correct logo shown in the ads), for prices that range from ~$4 to ~$49 each.
I'm wondering if a $280 amp really has two genuine JRC/NJR/Nisshinbo parts in it?

The MUSES02 is rated for ±16VDC, so until I measure the actual supply rail voltages, I should be able to use Op-Amps that are rated for ±16VDC or more.
I have installed a pair of Dual OPA627AU Mono Op-Amps (±18VDC) on DIP-8 headers in my TAP-1S, and will be listening to them for a few days.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #61,652 of 104,201
Tripowin x HBB: Olina arrives in style.

5.jpg

I need more testing and A/Bing, but I'll post my first impressions tomorrow. All I can say is that a lot of sub-100 usd iems are inside the danger-zone atm...

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #61,655 of 104,201
How is Titan S compared against Léa or Smabat LCPs (Proto 1, NCO2)? And even more "daring"... Against CRA and DB1?
If CRA is the CCA CRA, the CRA has better treble extension and obviously much more bass, but the Titan S has a more natural tonality and moreover destroys it technically (as is expected given that it is 8 times the price).

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #61,658 of 104,201
7hz Eternal

7hz_0.1_600x.jpg

https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-eternal

Didn't get the Timeless ans I am interested in this one.
Looks like the timeless shell with a LCP driver instead of a planar. I will wait for reviews, but the Timeless is expertly tuned, and I love it, so if this single DD is as expertly tuned, then it might be worth a look, but right now the DUNU Titan S has my attention...as i'm in the market for a highly resolving, excellent timbre single DD with quick punchy bass that doesn't rely on mid bass bump.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #61,659 of 104,201
Check out my review of KZ X HBB: DQ6S HERE.
bwahahahahaha...according to reading the review, HBB manages to crap out the DQ6! lol I thought the idea was to improve the sound, not darken it and mess with it's technicalities?

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #61,660 of 104,201
bwahahahahaha...according to reading the review, HBB manages to crap out the DQ6! lol I thought the idea was to improve the sound, not darken it and mess with it's technicalities?
I didn't test the original DQ6 so I can't answer it.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #61,661 of 104,201
I think he do a good job pointing out the problem with DQ6 like lack of subbass, shouty mid, 5k peak slightly too much. But he forgot this kz triple DD have it's own problem is resonance point, due to triple DD isn't fully utilized yet, and that problem is properly a huge drawback to make it the best in sub 50$
Also the wings but we don't talk about it here lol
graph (7).png

Edit: Another example is CRN...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #61,662 of 104,201
DQ6S looks like ISN H40... No?

Feb 3, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #61,663 of 104,201
What's the perfect way to spend a Thursday is with a really revealing headphone, so today I am reviewing the OneOdio Monitor60, a large, comfortable, headphone with a bright and detailed sound!

If you can't go for HD800S / HD820, but want something entry-level that follows similar tuning, this one would be great. I see it as a great headphone for studio, mixing, mastering, but that's enjoyable to listen to as well

More info, comparisons and info about driving it in the full written review

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/02/oneodio-monitor-60-huge-cans-for-my-soul.html

OneOdio-Monitor60-Monitor-60-Headphones-Mixing-Mastering-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Entry-Level-...jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back