The discovery thread!
Jan 2, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #61,321 of 100,649
Hey guys any recommendations for open
Or semi open iems? Cheers!

Semi open recs:

1) Final Audio E3000 - L shaped bassy and warm and smooth set. Nice soundstage and layering and imaging, but has a non detachable cable (may be a dealbreaker for some). Also bass is boomy and nebulous and treble is quite rolled off, so might not be a good option for trebleheads. Also needs amping due to the low sensitivity.
It is quite a rare tuning in the sea of harman/V shaped CHIFI gear at the sub $50 range.

2) Smabat Proto - This set is lego meets IEMs. The default tuning is a U shaped balanced sound with good timbre. But you can change the bass dampers, treble dampers and even use 3 other aftermarket drivers to change the sound in mind boggling permutations (can hence be basshead to neutral).
Comfort is hit or miss due to the larger shells.

Do note for the semi open/open IEMs, they have an achilles' heel of poor isolation (at the expense for presumably larger soundstage), so pros and cons are involved.

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #61,322 of 100,649
Semi open recs:

1) Final Audio E3000 - L shaped bassy and warm and smooth set. Nice soundstage and layering and imaging, but has a non detachable cable (may be a dealbreaker for some). Also bass is boomy and nebulous and treble is quite rolled off, so might not be a good option for trebleheads. Also needs amping due to the low sensitivity.
It is quite a rare tuning in the sea of harman/V shaped CHIFI gear at the sub $50 range.

2) Smabat Proto - This set is lego meets IEMs. The default tuning is a U shaped balanced sound with good timbre. But you can change the bass dampers, treble dampers and even use 3 other aftermarket drivers to change the sound in mind boggling permutations (can hence be basshead to neutral).
Comfort is hit or miss due to the larger shells.

Do note for the semi open/open IEMs, they have an achilles' heel of poor isolation (at the expense for presumably larger soundstage), so pros and cons are involved.

Thank you! Asking for a friend who wants to use iems while doing guided meditations and workshops. So important for him to hear the ambient noise 😉.

Appreciate the input.

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #61,323 of 100,649
Jan 2, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #61,325 of 100,649
Yeah IMR was one of the brands I thought of. Might work. I got a couple of their iems in the past, not too bad.
I hated the Opus Mia when I heard it. I absolutely love the Splash Of Red now, and they are my primary driver currently over everything. Got the Elan coming in too.

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #61,327 of 100,649
I finally finished my small review of the BQEYZ Autumn. One of the biggest surprises of 2021 for me for sure, and one of the best single-DDs I have yet heard! BQEYZ Autumn

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #61,328 of 100,649
It is 2022 so it is time to roll into the new year with fresh forces and good thoughts!!

This video goes to all the music producers, musicians, listeners, and everyone who appreciates a good value for a headphone!!

I made one of my usual funny, well-cooked videos about the Avantone Pro Planar RED Headphones from Avantone Pro!! I hope the video is fun to watch and that it comes in handy if you were considering those ones!

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #61,329 of 100,649
Coincidentally, I'm also starting the year with my review of the BQEYZ Autumn.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy new year and I hope it will be much, much better!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-autumn.25555/reviews#review-27617

BQEYZ Autumn 18_resize.jpg

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #61,330 of 100,649
A closer look at the Beryllium-coated 50mm dynamic driver of the new BLON BL-B60 headphones.

IMG_9037.jpg
IMG_9035.jpg
A

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #61,332 of 100,649
ThieAudio is now officially distributed in the UK!

https://eliseaudio.com/

Wish me luck guys 😉.

Edit: we're giving away a Tripowin Mele to celebrate the launch!
If by "we" you mean that you are working for that company - you probably need to register as a sponsor here before you are banned for being a shill :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #61,333 of 100,649
If by "we" you mean that you are working for that company - you probably need to register as a sponsor here before you are banned for being a shill :L3000:

A shill for making a simple announcement? 🤔

I have already been in touch with head-fi about sponsorship well before launching the website.

Thanks for the feedback though!

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #61,334 of 100,649
A shill for making a simple announcement? 🤔

I have already been in touch with head-fi about sponsorship well before launching the website.

Thanks for the feedback though!
You are welcome!

People get banned here for working with online stores under disguise of just a forum member.
If you have already initiated talks with Head-Fi, you should be fine - but you should probably add some indication in your signature that you have commercial interests here, to avoid confusing other members.

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #61,335 of 100,649
You are welcome!

People get banned here for working with online stores under disguise of just a forum member.
If you have already initiated talks with Head-Fi, you should be fine - but you should probably add some indication in your signature that you have commercial interests here, to avoid confusing other members.

I totally agree and I was never going under any disguise.

I love the community and want to keep it healthy and transparent, which is why I contacted head-fi about a month ago to inform them I was working on an Audio store.

I'll have to figure out how to add the link to my signature 😅.

Edit: done 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back