The discovery thread!
Dec 27, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #61,261 of 100,512
Rather, this one's about an analytic IEM with tons of detail, one of my favorite presentations for 2021, the Ara IEM from Campfire Audio!!

Now we wait for the Successor/sequels, "Campfire Ara~ara..." the ultimate waifu iems~
Sorry, can't resist, ok i'll see myself out.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #61,262 of 100,512
New LCP driver IEM from Astrotec:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003715639529.html

There is a non detachable version at $19.90 USD and a detachable one at $34.90 ($15 increase for detachable 2 pin connector). Graph looks like there may be a 3ish kHz peak (but pinna gain looks like < 10 dB, so maybe it won't be that shouty).

Capture113.JPG
Capture114.JPG
Capture112.JPG
Capture111.JPG
Just ordered the detachable cable version. All that bass might be better off balanced, still a really nice response. That bit of lower treble should help it from sounding too shouty, and the bass hits ground level at a decent rate so the lower mids can breathe. Mid-upper treble is dim but extension is there. Love to see it.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #61,263 of 100,512
End of the year question. What was your discovery of the year?

For me I have discovered the earphone industry has been growing exponentially and we see manufacturers trying to outdo one another on a regular basis more so now than ever. The SQ of todays IEMs are not only better from yesterdays stuff but we are seeing the emergence of more types of drivers and different varieties of dynamics being used. My point with that is. When was the last time you read about a new hybrid or dynamic using a standard dynamic?

This is good and bad at the same time. It is good that new types and coatings on a dynamic promises some type of advancement for the dynamic driver but at the same time we have no idea if the coated dynamic or the type of dynamic being used is actually what the manufacturer says it is. I mean who is gonna test out a beryllium coated dynamic to see if it is actually has a beryllium coating is my point?. In any case. I hope everyone had a safe Holiday and I am hoping new years will bring about some new significant advances for our hobby but at a reasonable cost. Is that too much to ask? Seems anything new and they will charge accordingly.
Indeed, a lot of newer dynamic drivers are coming out with much better frequency responses. I really like a good single driver IEM, dynamic or armature. Tanya is a standout for me, and really doesn't need too much power to sound good.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #61,265 of 100,512

For me I have discovered the earphone industry has been growing exponentially and we see manufacturers trying to outdo one another on a regular basis more so now than ever. The SQ of todays IEMs are not only better from yesterdays stuff but we are seeing the emergence of more types of drivers and different varieties of dynamics being used. My point with that is. When was the last time you read about a new hybrid or dynamic using a standard dynamic?

This is good and bad at the same time. It is good that new types and coatings on a dynamic promises some type of advancement for the dynamic driver but at the same time we have no idea if the coated dynamic or the type of dynamic being used is actually what the manufacturer says it is. I mean who is gonna test out a beryllium coated dynamic to see if it is actually has a beryllium coating is my point?. In any case. I hope everyone had a safe Holiday and I am hoping new years will bring about some new significant advances for our hobby but at a reasonable cost. Is that too much to ask? Seems anything new and they will charge accordingly.
My discoveries of 2021? As a budget offering, i'll give a tie between the CCA NRA and the KZ DQ6. Both punch way way above their price range, and offer a really detailed and satisfying listen.

Then the 7 Hertz Timeless. For a little over $200, it's the boss of that bracket, really shows off it's enveloping and 3D imaging when listening to movies and video games, and killing it with a wide stage, ridiculous detail retrieval without being dry or analytical, and bass so fast, it would make any extreme metal fan proud.

For mid-fi/lower summit fi, that would be the DUNU EST 112. The finest EST (magnetostat) IEM with the airiest and most well extended and natural treble, and amazing mids. The bass is the weak link, but not really weak, just behind the mids and highs, but overall the best DUNU in years, and one of the most overlooked IEM's of 2021, and truly a pleasure to own and listen to. Still the Kings of my collection...barely.

Looking forward to what comes along in 2022. Cheers and Happy New Year!

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #61,266 of 100,512
New Shuoer IEM, purportedly a planar!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003720687354.html

Comes with 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm termination during ordering. $142 USD.

Capture2.PNG

Capture1.PNG

The Shuoer folks themselves claim that "SIZE IS NOT EVERYTHING".

Probably the other planar competitors would be the Timeless, Tin P1 Plus/P1 and TRI I3 Pro? Credit to @eagleowl for finding this.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #61,267 of 100,512
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #61,268 of 100,512

Gear wise, my discovery of the year was IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red. It's a splendid iem for the price. All my other iems have become redundant now, and I'll be selling everything else.

Realisation wise, I finally realised I prefer to feel more connected to the music, to have more engagement, rather than feeling I am in a large hall where the music is being played at a distance.
I found that I definitely do prefer an open presentation, but an open and airy presentation does not necessarily mean the soudnstage has to be large. I found that if the presentation is airy and open, the staging is not claustrophobic and depth can be perceived, decent amount of width is there, I can settle down with it, provided the notes are well defined, feels well-bodied and tactile rather than wispy, and the imaging is precise on a three dimension. I need a healthy and clean dose of bass with good amount of body in both mid and subbass, while being fast too. I need the mid frequency notes to have more body rather than to be more airy at the cost of the body and weight.

I discovered what I truly want from an earphone, and how I want to enjoy my music. And that I believe is my greatest takeaway regarding this hobby in 2021.

And all of these came to light together once I got my hands on the IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red. Before that, through the journey, mild shifts had been happening in my understandings, but after I got SOR and spent enough time with it, everything finally came together, made sense and I was enlightened.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #61,269 of 100,512
New Shuoer IEM, purportedly a planar!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003720687354.html

Comes with 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm termination during ordering. $142 USD.

The Shuoer folks themselves claim that "SIZE IS NOT EVERYTHING".

Probably the other planar competitors would be the Timeless, Tin P1 Plus/P1 and TRI I3 Pro? Credit to @eagleowl for finding this.

I've taken a dive on this one. Shuoer have been hit and miss for me but I'll cross my fingers!

They seem to be encouraging people to pick up their DT02 dongle (CS43131) with it too. No indication as to its power that I can see though.

It's going to be up against some stiff competition...

269760430_4786939527995850_8677865646436965426_n.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #61,270 of 100,512
I've taken a dive on this one. Shuoer have been hit and miss for me but I'll cross my fingers!

They seem to be encouraging people to pick up their DT02 dongle (CS43131) with it too. No indication as to its power that I can see though.

It's going to be up against some stiff competition...

269760430_4786939527995850_8677865646436965426_n.jpg

Look forward to your review on this, yeah Shouer has been hit or miss lately.

In general, the pure planar IEMs tend to require amplification, so I'm not too sure if some low powered dongles can sufficiently drive them.

And it is not about volume (if not we can just max out the volume with high impedance/low sensitivity/planar gear on a humble smartphone), more that one loses dynamics, soundstage, micro-detailing, perhaps bass tightness when some of these are insufficiently powered.

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #61,271 of 100,512
Look forward to your review on this, yeah Shouer has been hit or miss lately.

In general, the pure planar IEMs tend to require amplification, so I'm not too sure if some low powered dongles can sufficiently drive them.

And it is not about volume (if not we can just max out the volume with high impedance/low sensitivity/planar gear on a humble smartphone), more that one loses dynamics, soundstage, micro-detailing, perhaps bass tightness when some of these are insufficiently powered.

Yep, indeed. There's no replacement for a good amp with planar. They begin to lose so much more and so much more quickly than when compared to a dynamic.

I might not full review this one if its a bit naff but I'll definitely provide impressions and a brief run down.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #61,272 of 100,512
Gear wise, my discovery of the year was IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red. It's a splendid iem for the price. All my other iems have become redundant now, and I'll be selling everything else.

Realisation wise, I finally realised I prefer to feel more connected to the music, to have more engagement, rather than feeling I am in a large hall where the music is being played at a distance.
I found that I definitely do prefer an open presentation, but an open and airy presentation does not necessarily mean the soudnstage has to be large. I found that if the presentation is airy and open, the staging is not claustrophobic and depth can be perceived, decent amount of width is there, I can settle down with it, provided the notes are well defined, feels well-bodied and tactile rather than wispy, and the imaging is precise on a three dimension. I need a healthy and clean dose of bass with good amount of body in both mid and subbass, while being fast too. I need the mid frequency notes to have more body rather than to be more airy at the cost of the body and weight.

I discovered what I truly want from an earphone, and how I want to enjoy my music. And that I believe is my greatest takeaway regarding this hobby in 2021.

And all of these came to light together once I got my hands on the IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red. Before that, through the journey, mild shifts had been happening in my understandings, but after I got SOR and spent enough time with it, everything finally came together, made sense and I was enlightened.
I remember reading someone posting a similar comment regarding Oriole Isa, ie selling collection, found what he’s after. And I believe it too. Single DD capable of amazing sound. Also, once the range of iems have been sampled (and preferences have been determined), “endgame” level stuff can turn out to be comparatively very affordable. Cheers

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #61,273 of 100,512
Discovery for me, this year I have finally started using bluetooth devices. I have been skeptical in the past with my prior experiences but here is something new that has changed my thoughts about wireless sound.

1640702929959.png

Fiio has introduced these wirless arms. Which in of itself it nothing new but each arm containing an AK4332 dac/amp chip is. These arms cost as much as a decent cable and gives yet another flavoring to your favorites. Serial shown here with the UTWS5. Brilliant TWS arms that turn your favorites into TWS with AKM sound enhancement and amplification.

Why is this substantial? Brilliant idea since your getting sound enhancing with a low noise floor, more power with a cleaner sound with 10meters of wireless connectivity. Have been using these things for the past 3 weeks with a big variety of in ears and I have to say I am extremely impressed with these. SQ is excellent out of these arms and not to mention you get 8 hours of continuous music playback in one charge. Water proof means you can work out using these things.

First time I can say a wireless device is as good as wired.

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #61,274 of 100,512
Now we wait for the Successor/sequels, "Campfire Ara~ara..." the ultimate waifu iems~
Sorry, can't resist, ok i'll see myself out.

Campfirey will be the designer of the WaiEM - the waifu IEM that plays only J-Rock and J-pop and keeps saying arara or ohohoho while you pause your music:)

Need something like that so badly.

1640703994630.png

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #61,275 of 100,512

Happy New Year DS! Thanks for all your contributions in 21!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back