The discovery thread!
Dec 22, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #61,247 of 100,525
What is the deal with the BGVP NE5. Is it a backlash from the audiophile community for prior indiscretions? I have seen so little in terms of reviews and practically nothing on youtube in English.
BGVP dont want to sent a units for a review and something strange going on with BGVP community :frowning2:

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #61,249 of 100,525
Audio 46 is now selling them here in the United States, but no one has listened to them yet. I liked the DM8.
I reviewed the NE5 a couple of months back on our website (link) and was told by BGVP that they were facing a shortage in supply of EST drivers. They sent me one from their small first batch but couldn't send a lot of samples out. Now that it's available at multiple dealers, I hope more people will get to try it. It's a nice fun-tuned punchy IEM.

I too quite dig the DM8 and still use it in my daily rotation of IEMs. Excellent fit with an easy to like signature.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #61,250 of 100,525
I reviewed the NE5 a couple of months back on our website (link) and was told by BGVP that they were facing a shortage in supply of EST drivers. They sent me one from their small first batch but couldn't send a lot of samples out. Now that it's available at multiple dealers, I hope more people will get to try it. It's a nice fun-tuned punchy IEM.

I too quite dig the DM8 and still use it in my daily rotation of IEMs. Excellent fit with an easy to like signature.
Thanks for the information and I did read your review on Twister. But I keep hearing BGVP has lost face out there due to getting caught red handed lying about a recent model. They joke about it on some of the sites. The DN3 I believe is what came from the situation after there was controversy about the DN2? What do you know about these trust issues in the market?

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #61,251 of 100,525
CCA CRA first impressions

8B0B65EC-FFA9-49C0-834A-36B2286D46EE.jpeg

• Mild V-shaped sound signature with good bass control, so the mids recession isn't too bad.
  • Sounds rather lean overall, but not in an outright unpleasant way. Notes don't stick around for very long.
  • While there is elevated bass, it is (to my ears) tastefully done and pretty tight. Some sub-bass rumble is present, although it is less than what a XUN driver might produce. The midbass tuning does remind me of the ZEX Pro/CRN, lacking the thickness of the ZEX (an IEM that suffers from some pretty "boxy"-sounding male vocals), but maybe it could be tamped down even more.
  • Male vocals aren't especially rich or nuanced; I'd like them to be more forward as well.
  • Female vocals enjoy somewhat more presence and resolution than male vocals, but stop short of being glassy unlike the ZEX Pro/CRN.
  • Upper-mid harshness can, however, creep in at higher listening volumes.
  • Busy, treble-heavy passages aren't handled very well, and can sometimes come across as a jumbled cacophony of high frequencies. However, cymbals do, in fact, sound "correct" (i.e. there should be a initial strike of metal followed by an extended decay of the note, rather than just hissing), which puts it ahead of the KZ magnetostats in this regard.
  • Instrument separation is actually what I'd consider "good", perhaps because of the aforementioned lean note weight.

Tracks I often listen to during first impressions:

1. メビウス - めいちゃん
2. ぼくを叱って - そらる
3. たぶん - YOASOBI
4. よさそう - Sou
5. 神様の遺伝子 - まふまふ

Unfortunately, this still sounds pretty thin and chaotic on the CRA, not that dissimilar from the ZEX Pro.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #61,252 of 100,525
Thanks for the information and I did read your review on Twister. But I keep hearing BGVP has lost face out there due to getting caught red handed lying about a recent model. They joke about it on some of the sites. The DN3 I believe is what came from the situation after there was controversy about the DN2? What do you know about these trust issues in the market?
Sorry, I don't know about the DN2/DN3 incident, so I can't say. Was it the beryllium coated vs beryllium driver thing?

Not trying to defend any of these brands but the number one problem I've seen first hand with a lot of the Chi-fi brands is poor Chinese to English translation in their promo material and manuals, especially when it comes to translation of specific tech terms. I'm acquainted with some of these brands and most of the brand owners and their employees don't know English well or at all. Most of them use translation apps to chat when they get in touch with us to review a product. To translate their manuals and promo material, most of the smaller brands either ask a friend who is okayish at English or one of their enthusiastic sellers to translate all the tech description from Chinese to English. Even if the translator is fairly good at basic translation, I've seen a lot of them making mistakes translating tech terms properly. For example, you'll see the weirdest descriptors being used for a simple 'silver plated copper' cable, a CIEM translates to 'private model', even simple stuff like a dynamic driver is referred to as 'moving coil' and a balanced armature as 'moving iron', which they actually are but aren't popularly called so in the western world. Just recently, I let a popular Chi-fi brand know that they had misspelt the type of dynamic driver wrong in their promo material.

This is where a lot of confusion arises from. It's been so in the past and continues to be the same even now in 2021. Plus this is not just the case with smaller brands. English not being their main language, such mistakes are to be expected but some of these brands really need to make the effort of hiring somebody good or get a well-versed knowledgable audiophile to translate the tech terms properly. I personally keep pointing out translation errors to some of these brands and even help some with translation as a goodwill gesture.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #61,253 of 100,525

The BGVP DN2 saga is summarized here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bgv...d-new-ba-series.894331/page-327#post-15987274

Back then, it was the peak of the beryllium driver craze, and the DN2 was advertised to contain beryllium drivers. Someone opened the shell of the DN2 and realized it wasn't beryllium coated/plated as advertised and put photos on social media. The BGVP DN2 also has multiple complains of crappy MMCX connectors.

So due to the double whammy of the drivers and MMCX, BGVP had to recall the product.

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #61,254 of 100,525
Today's the day before Christmas, and the end of 2021 is coming too, so I wanted to post a special written review as my last review of 2021, about a true flagship that impressed me a lot this year, the SP2000T Music Player from Astell&Kern!!

We should be closing the year in big fashion, so my review on SP2000T will include the most comparisons and pairings I did this year, and given the special design of this DAP (Digital Audio Player), of having both a Solid State Mode, and a Tube AMP mode, I'm ready to share my in-depth take about it~

You can check pairings, comparisons and detailed impressions on its usability in the full written review, plus, if you have questions, don't forget that I'm always here to help

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...p2000t-tube-solid-state-blends-musically.html

Astell&Kern-Astell-Kern-A&Ultima-A-Ultima-SP2000T-SP-2000-T-Music-Player-DAP-Tube-Nano-Review-...jpg

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #61,255 of 100,525
Today's the day before Christmas, and the end of 2021 is coming too, so I wanted to post a special written review as my last review of 2021, about a true flagship that impressed me a lot this year, the SP2000T Music Player from Astell&Kern!!

We should be closing the year in big fashion, so my review on SP2000T will include the most comparisons and pairings I did this year, and given the special design of this DAP (Digital Audio Player), of having both a Solid State Mode, and a Tube AMP mode, I'm ready to share my in-depth take about it~

You can check pairings, comparisons and detailed impressions on its usability in the full written review, plus, if you have questions, don't forget that I'm always here to help

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...p2000t-tube-solid-state-blends-musically.html

Astell&Kern-Astell-Kern-A&Ultima-A-Ultima-SP2000T-SP-2000-T-Music-Player-DAP-Tube-Nano-Review-...jpg
What? 2 grand? 3 grand? No thanks.

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #61,256 of 100,525
I'm still torn between the Timeless and the RE800 silver. I got smiles from ear to ear. Been a long time since I bought two IEM's back to back that turned out to be worth every penny I invested. Both have even put the EST 112 on the sidelines. Now, let's be honest, that won't be for long, as the EST 112's sound is intoxicating, but the bass is sleepy and slow compared to the RE800 silver and especially the Timeless. So for now, I keep flipping back and forth between the two, depending on what mood i'm in, and this pleases me (though I'm in the market for a single dynamic with technical abilities similar to the RE800 silver, but one that is not power hungry or requires an amp to sound it's best), because currently, the Timeless does require an amp. and the RE800 silver, though not the most power dependent, scales greatly with an amp.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #61,257 of 100,525
I've had both Quarks and Tanya for awhile now, and they are actually decent for $20. Tanya sounds better to my ears. Like these small, cable-down iems sometimes, and at this price range the SQ is amazing from just a few years ago... Keep them coming.

I just bought the non-detachable variant of this Astrotec model from Aliexpress today. When it arrives, will do a comparison with the Tanchjim Tanya and update, don't have the Moondrop Quarks though.

Dec 27, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #61,258 of 100,525
End of the year question. What was your discovery of the year?

For me I have discovered the earphone industry has been growing exponentially and we see manufacturers trying to outdo one another on a regular basis more so now than ever. The SQ of todays IEMs are not only better from yesterdays stuff but we are seeing the emergence of more types of drivers and different varieties of dynamics being used. My point with that is. When was the last time you read about a new hybrid or dynamic using a standard dynamic?

This is good and bad at the same time. It is good that new types and coatings on a dynamic promises some type of advancement for the dynamic driver but at the same time we have no idea if the coated dynamic or the type of dynamic being used is actually what the manufacturer says it is. I mean who is gonna test out a beryllium coated dynamic to see if it is actually has a beryllium coating is my point?. In any case. I hope everyone had a safe Holiday and I am hoping new years will bring about some new significant advances for our hobby but at a reasonable cost. Is that too much to ask? Seems anything new and they will charge accordingly.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #61,259 of 100,525
I promised I wouldn't return from vacation just to post reviews, until new year starts, but I had a one more video finished, so I thought it would be a great way to end the year with a boom!

Rather, this one's about an analytic IEM with tons of detail, one of my favorite presentations for 2021, the Ara IEM from Campfire Audio!!

Loving the comfort too, but you may know this, so I hope the jokes, background music and image quality in the video review will be enjoyable and help with ending 2021 in a neat way~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back