The discovery thread!
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #60,331 of 100,438
Hey guys! Here is my review of Panther Audio's D2X, their $255 1DD+1BA hybrid IEM. It has impressive build quality, design, packaging and accessories for its asking price, extremely snug fitting semi-custom contoured universal shells and a warm and musical signature that will interest people that like a bass boosted and fuller bodied presentation. Have a read if you want to know more about it and how it performs in detail!

Panther Audio D2X

Panther Audio D2X Featured Image 3.jpg

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #60,332 of 100,438
Just got my reecho SG-03, thanks guys for recommending them, they are exactly what I was hoping for, detailed with clean bass and boosted sub bass. These iems sound really good, definitely worth there money, thanks guys
:clap:
:beerchug:

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #60,333 of 100,438
I hope you will not forget to share your impressions, whatever they may be.
Just couple words cause of language wall.
Like NX7 MK3 alot. Bass is the fastest i ever heard, pretty much detailed, not the deepest though. Oh10 much deepeer and punch is heavier, but slower. Mids are recessed. Can't tell I'm missing them, but it's a bit upset and you can feel it easily by comparing. Highs. They are just WOW, pearl of these iems. Crystal, lengthy. Acoustic/electro guitars, plates, piaono are fantastic! Soundstage stage is pretty ok for me, i was afraid it could be worse cause i was reeding here. Fitting is very good, they are very light.
Can't tell they are everyday iems, I'm getting tired of that agressive sound. But they are wonderful for fast and hard tracks.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #60,334 of 100,438
Been giving a ton of ear time to the Sony WF-1000XM4s these past few days and I’m more or less convinced that I won’t have to buy anything else for a while.

Sony’s claim that these IEMs will last for 8 hours of battery life on a charge with ANC on is legit. Connection stability has been rock solid with zero disconnects or dropouts. The buds themselves feel well made. and are light and small enough that having them in my ear doesn’t feel any different from having a bog standard IEM in my ear, except sans cables.

Now, as for my sound impressions. I’ll be upfront and tell you that these aren’t really going to satisfy you if you’re looking for treble energy. That means cymbals are just kind of “there”. They sound fairly closed in and don’t really give much in the way of air or perceived soundstage. Yes, you can use the EQ, but then you just made the XM4s sound a tad more shrill than they did before, so if that’s a dealbreaker then that’s a dealbreaker.

The XM4s weren’t made to do brilliance and splash. They were made to provide what is, to my ears, an amazing bass response and warm, engaging, mids, with the highs as more complementary and “in the background” rather than a point of focus. The degree of bass energy and visceral, thumping sensation that the XM4s provide surpasses anything I’ve heard before (even the Arias), be it wired or wireless. Despite this, the XM4s somehow avoid sounding bloated or muddy; in fact, they are resolving enough that you can tell when you’re listening to a lossless Red Book file versus a YouTube rip. Neither male nor female vocals suffer from recession; instead, they are very much front-and-center and details like the vocalist taking a breath are actually audible.

Of course, the elephant in the room, assuming you haven’t been turned off by the treble, and aren’t just completely closed to the idea of Bluetooth audio, is the price. These aren’t cheap, but you’d never know it by the slightly flimsy charging case lid and the barebones, recycled-paper package that you get that is comparable to KZ’s bargain basement offerings. I wouldn’t call these a value for money purchase, but as someone who enjoys the Sony house sound, needs a solution for commuting and work that has ANC and is as unobtrusive as possible, and wants it to just work (tm), I have few regrets.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #60,335 of 100,438
Been giving a ton of ear time to the Sony WF-1000XM4s these past few days and I’m more or less convinced that I won’t have to buy anything else for a while.

Sony’s claim that these IEMs will last for 8 hours of battery life on a charge with ANC on is legit. Connection stability has been rock solid with zero disconnects or dropouts. The buds themselves feel well made. and are light and small enough that having them in my ear doesn’t feel any different from having a bog standard IEM in my ear, except sans cables.

Now, as for my sound impressions. I’ll be upfront and tell you that these aren’t really going to satisfy you if you’re looking for treble energy. That means cymbals are just kind of “there”. They sound fairly closed in and don’t really give much in the way of air or perceived soundstage. Yes, you can use the EQ, but then you just made the XM4s sound a tad more shrill than they did before, so if that’s a dealbreaker then that’s a dealbreaker.

The XM4s weren’t made to do brilliance and splash. They were made to provide what is, to my ears, an amazing bass response and warm, engaging, mids, with the highs as more complementary and “in the background” rather than a point of focus. The degree of bass energy and visceral, thumping sensation that the XM4s provide surpasses anything I’ve heard before (even the Arias), be it wired or wireless. Despite this, the XM4s somehow avoid sounding bloated or muddy; in fact, they are resolving enough that you can tell when you’re listening to a lossless Red Book file versus a YouTube rip. Neither male nor female vocals suffer from recession; instead, they are very much front-and-center and details like the vocalist taking a breath are actually audible.

Of course, the elephant in the room, assuming you haven’t been turned off by the treble, and aren’t just completely closed to the idea of Bluetooth audio, is the price. These aren’t cheap, but you’d never know it by the slightly flimsy charging case lid and the barebones, recycled-paper package that you get that is comparable to KZ’s bargain basement offerings. I wouldn’t call these a value for money purchase, but as someone who enjoys the Sony house sound, needs a solution for commuting and work that has ANC and is as unobtrusive as possible, and wants it to just work (tm), I have few regrets.
Would wearing earmuffs on top of these be considered overkill?

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #60,336 of 100,438
Would wearing earmuffs on top of these be considered overkill?
Well, you probably could if you wanted to, since they don’t stick out very much at all :)

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #60,337 of 100,438
Well, you probably could if you wanted to, since they don’t stick out very much at all :)
I can only imagine how... Weirdly quiet would a bus ride with the earmuff's noise isolation, the iem's own noise isolation and ANC be.

And yes it may be worth mentioning the XM4s is almost TWICE as expensive as my cellphone... A 2019 Y9 Prime.

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #60,338 of 100,438
Definitely quite an interesting bit of kit for the audiophile on the go, but it is rather expensive. I can imagine it being popular with big name reviewers who want a powerful source that can handle pushing pretty much any IEM while also recording the FR graph on the same device. Sounds useful for when your attending conventions, as long as the battery life can survive the average day at a convention.

It could be something I've been dreaming for a loooong time: ability to use foobar ( + all its plugins; parametic eq, normalizer, obscure file formats... )on the go

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #60,341 of 100,438
I have never been able to hear the difference with different cables. Perhaps this is because the tested cables had too few differences in price and quality. Who understands, please tell me. If I replace such a stock cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMg7Nzo
on this
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mObPRYm
Will I have a chance to make a difference, or is the chance small? I still doubt the need for such a purchase. The fact is that sometimes it is not the quality that annoys me too much (the quality is not bad), but the pink tint of the color of the existing cable. But changing only because of the color, for me it is too reckless. But if you also get an increase in quality, albeit a small one, it would not be a bad excuse to waste money. And at the same time change the color.

the question is cleared, the parcel will arrive - I will share my impressions.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #60,342 of 100,438
7Hz Timeless: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hertz-timeless.25394/reviews#review-26893

Probably the first planar iem with good tonality, but oh boy is it butchered by the almost zero depth stage and a result, horrible imaging.

Skip it unless you are rich (although you would have better options to get in that case) or if you really want a planar iem without using EQ (if you can use EQ, the Tin P1 is better, or if you are ok with just it having a planar, the tribrid Tri I3 Pro will be leagues better).

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #60,343 of 100,438
Probably the first planar iem with good tonality, but oh boy is it butchered by the almost zero depth stage and a result, horrible imaging.

Skip it unless you are rich (although you would have better options to get in that case) or if you really want a planar iem without using EQ (if you can use EQ, the Tin P1 is better, or if you are ok with just it having a planar, the tribrid Tri I3 Pro will be leagues better).

I am not rich atm but I plan to be. When I am I will buy them all and the ones I don't like I will smash with a hammer for the fun of it!:imp:

Okay, maybe I'll just give them away.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #60,344 of 100,438
I am not rich atm but I plan to be. When I am I will buy them all and the ones I don't like I will smash with a hammer for the fun of it!:imp:

Okay, maybe I'll just give them away.
Sounds like a great YouTube channel… Give away IEMs, and smash those that it would be cruel to burden others with them…

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #60,345 of 100,438
7Hz Timeless: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hertz-timeless.25394/reviews#review-26893

Too late, I paid for it already (quite a while back, it sure is taking its time to get shipped). I could still cancel but I wanna try it out anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back