The discovery thread!
Aug 9, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #58,906 of 106,629
L&P W2 arrived:
-I’m gonna be on vacation for the rest of this week and this is my trip mate with iphone

-I heard L&P W2 is quite impressive and I can second to that, I was quite impressed, far beyond than the first time I heard BTR5 or M11Pro of FiiO
-I will bring M11Pro and compare with L&P W2 for the rest of the week with these buddies

updates:

-L&P W2 got pretty impressive dynamic range illustration, the transient response from one note to another is crisp fast, and impluse response is quicker than M11pro’s AK4497EQ to my impression. This results in great dynamism which is quite evident on Moondrop Variation’s LCP bass driver, the sound that the piano hammer hits the string, the kick of the bass drum, all with very realistic presence. I feel spatial coordination is still behind of M11Pro, but it’s definitely a great option for $300 compared to DAPs that costs more than 2 or 3x of this DAC.

-It came with usb-C /lighting/general USB adapters as a source of input

-if connecting directly thru wires doesn’t bother you(I meant for the options of Bluetooth receivers), W2 is something to consider as an option to boost your iphone/android/PC

update2: Used my reference monitor, Softears RSV, this IEM reveals all possible flaws. When compared to M11Pro, W2 got a better dynamic range illustration, but when it comes to image positioning, W2’s image stays on rather flat plane, in the other words the imaging is compact and dynamic, but lacks depth. Diffusion sounds going sideways, forward/backward lacked a bit of depth. This helps for some genre, for those wants instruments and vocals to stay closer for intimacy, but when tracks focused on utilization of the space, W2 lacks it’s capability.

It’s a good and precise USB dongle for sure, I prefer rock/pop with W2.

B3F74BFA-A785-40D9-9027-3F96CEB0CCB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #58,907 of 106,629
This one is going up there as one of my fav all-BA iems; Earsonics Corsa. Reminiscent of the Brainwavz B400 but with a cooler tonality, more neutral bass presentation, and more detail in the mids and treble. A bit more umph in the low end would be nice but it's still very nice as-is. Thing is built like a tank, and about as big as one too, lol.

hf.jpg

Aug 9, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #58,908 of 106,629
Audio123,

Can I respectfully disagree with you? I've read many of your reviews over the last few years, given you lots of thumbs up, and agreed with you so many times. But your comments lately have been disconcerting.

I haven't heard a single IEM over $300. By your account, I know nothing of what "good sound" is.

But, I have a degree in audio engineering. That means I had training using studio-grade audio components, including multitrack mixing boards, how to pick and properly use a myriad of microphones to record all types of sounds, vox, and musical instruments in the field, at concert venues, and in a studio, and how to record and mix all of those down into a proper stereo sound field. I've been recording and mixing audio (along with video and as a still photographer), as a profession for over 3 decades.

Most of my music listening is done in a sound-treated room with racks of studio equipment.

I also design and build my own speaker systems, including tuning boxes and 4th-order crossover networks, from scratch.

Many of my friends are professional musicians. One plays a centuries-old (priceless) cello handed down from generations of musicians and plays mostly live in inter-continental concerts and as a studio musician on many recordings. I don't think she owns any consumer IEMs.

In my training and with none of my sound engineer peers, would anyone use an IEM to mix audio. Many commenters and reviewers on HeadFi are also musicians, and I respect their training and ear for knowing how a particular instrument should sound, regardless of the IEM they are listening to a recording with.

Yes, absolutely "reference" is very important. But stating that one particular IEM, costing $5K+, is the best, which the rest of us haven't heard, is of no help. Not to mention everyone has different ear anatomy, preferences in various types of music, and the way it is presented through electronics.

Are any of my points valid?

I appreciate your viewpoint, as I do many others on this forum, but when statements are intended to just be hurtful and self-serving, they are no longer helpful.

I look forward to some of your upcoming reviews.

yes, and most people i know in audio profession who don't dabble in audiophile hobby would base their gears by familiarity, rarely changing their gears other than upgrading in something similar, because most of them can't spare wasting time to re-familiarize themselves with different things all the time.

i don't have an audio engineering degree, but i spent most of my younger days playing in live gigs and mixing in studios.

i started joining this headfi with the really cheap KZ ATR and earbuds, and while now i had the chance to hear some of the kilobuck earphones/headphones (so in a way, it's safe to say that i do know what I'm talking about as an "audiophile"), i still think my earlier training matter the most.

i find that some earlier cheap earphones that used to wow me the first time i listened to it, after years of listening to other more expensive gears, still gives me the same wow feeling when i listen to it again nowadays, that means my assessment was genuine, not because that's the best i ever heard because i haven't listened to TOTLs yet.

I've met with some fellow audiophiles who has some of the most expensive gears, but still don't know what they're talking about...and also on the other spectrum, those who have cheaper gear but know what they're hearing and how to describe it.

words like banning the use of EQ because "it's not what the artist intended" is some of the best giveaway for me. EQs, amps, double amping, etc are just tools, use it whenever necessary, and use them wisely, nothing more, nothing less.. sound and human perceptions changes all the time

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #58,909 of 106,629
Audio123,

Can I respectfully disagree with you? I've read many of your reviews over the last few years, given you lots of thumbs up, and agreed with you so many times. But your comments lately have been disconcerting.

I haven't heard a single IEM over $300. By your account, I know nothing of what "good sound" is.

But, I have a degree in audio engineering. That means I had training using studio-grade audio components, including multitrack mixing boards, how to pick and properly use a myriad of microphones to record all types of sounds, vox, and musical instruments in the field, at concert venues, and in a studio, and how to record and mix all of those down into a proper stereo sound field. I've been recording and mixing audio (along with video and as a still photographer), as a profession for over 3 decades.

Most of my music listening is done in a sound-treated room with racks of studio equipment.

I also design and build my own speaker systems, including tuning boxes and 4th-order crossover networks, from scratch.

Many of my friends are professional musicians. One plays a centuries-old (priceless) cello handed down from generations of musicians and plays mostly live in inter-continental concerts and as a studio musician on many recordings. I don't think she owns any consumer IEMs.

In my training and with none of my sound engineer peers, would anyone use an IEM to mix audio. Many commenters and reviewers on HeadFi are also musicians, and I respect their training and ear for knowing how a particular instrument should sound, regardless of the IEM they are listening to a recording with.

Yes, absolutely "reference" is very important. But stating that one particular IEM, costing $5K+, is the best, which the rest of us haven't heard, is of no help. Not to mention everyone has different ear anatomy, preferences in various types of music, and the way it is presented through electronics.

Are any of my points valid?

I appreciate your viewpoint, as I do many others on this forum, but when statements are intended to just be hurtful and self-serving, they are no longer helpful.

I look forward to some of your upcoming reviews.
I don't wish to start the quarrel but @RikudouGoku started it first by calling me and Dsnuts disgusting on Discord which was shown to me by others. He then went on to feel entitled. If he did not launch an personal attack, this will not happen. Hence, I decided to call him out and wanted to let everyone know how he is like. I hope this will shed light on the issue. I have absolutely no intention to bring down @RikudouGoku but he insulted me first. In addition, I definitely know that having TOTL experience does not give one the right to bring others down but given how he initiated it, I felt compelled to use it. Have you guys seen me bringing down @nymz just because he don't have TOTL experience? Absolutely no. @nymz is a friendly person with logical reasoning & I respect him as an individual. For every issue, we always want to know the root cause and in this case, @RikudouGoku is the one who started it. Cheers.

1628563244893.png

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #58,910 of 106,629
Ok guys this is not constructive or is it something that I want to see on this thread. You all need to chill. This whole finger pointing and what not is not good. Nothing ever good comes about from this. This is exactly how arguments start and get the thread monitored. I would prefer that to not happen.

I have discussed with audio in private about his postings on this thread and he continues to post about stuff I warned him about several times. So I will call him out in pubic. I would appreciate you not posting stuff like that and I don't give a rip about what folks post on discord or anywhere else on the nets. I have been through too much life to worry about what folks say online. I couldn't possibly care less. I must be quite the topic on other places. Lol.

You all don't have to respect what I do or what I post about on headfi I have been called much worse. I for one am not gonna bash another persons namesake online no matter what I think of that person. Life is too short for stuff like that. I would like to think most folks that post here are good natured and have their own real lives going on to be stressed about online stuff. Less finger pointing and more discoveries. Please.

If your gonna argue about whos more experienced or who is legit and who is not. Stupid high school stuff. Go do it elsewhere but not here. I am sure most of the readers here would appreciate that including myself. I am gonna kindly ask you all to refrain from these kind of posts.

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #58,911 of 106,629
I don't wish to start the quarrel but @RikudouGoku started it first by calling me and Dsnuts disgusting on Discord which was shown to me by others. He then went on to feel entitled. If he did not launch an personal attack, this will not happen. Hence, I decided to call him out and wanted to let everyone know how he is like. I hope this will shed light on the issue. I have absolutely no intention to bring down @RikudouGoku but he insulted me first. In addition, I definitely know that having TOTL experience does not give one the right to bring others down but given how he initiated it, I felt compelled to use it. Have you guys seen me bringing down @nymz just because he don't have TOTL experience? Absolutely no. @nymz is a friendly person with logical reasoning & I respect him as an individual. For every issue, we always want to know the root cause and in this case, @RikudouGoku is the one who started it. Cheers.

Man, we have ignore function which I feel you may utilize. Insulting someone is not a civilized behavior, but those thing could happen, pretty frequently, for online community, as we don’t see face-to-face.

I used to moderate online MMO games’s official forum, and believe me, that’s a pure pain. Fights over fights. I’d suggest easiest way to hit ignore and it’s all set. That’s how we stop war. Fighting back could cause further bloods over bloods.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #58,912 of 106,629
yes, and most people i know in audio profession who don't dabble in audiophile hobby would base their gears by familiarity, rarely changing their gears other than upgrading in something similar, because most of them can't spare wasting time to re-familiarize themselves with different things all the time.

i don't have an audio engineering degree, but i spent most of my younger days playing in live gigs and mixing in studios.

i started joining this headfi with the really cheap KZ ATR and earbuds, and while now i had the chance to hear some of the kilobuck earphones/headphones (so in a way, it's safe to say that i do know what I'm talking about as an "audiophile"), i still think my earlier training matter the most.

i find that some earlier cheap earphones that used to wow me the first time i listened to it, after years of listening to other more expensive gears, still gives me the same wow feeling when i listen to it again nowadays, that means my assessment was genuine, not because that's the best i ever heard because i haven't listened to TOTLs yet.

I've met with some fellow audiophiles who has some of the most expensive gears, but still don't know what they're talking about...and also on the other spectrum, those who have cheaper gear but know what they're hearing and how to describe it.

words like banning the use of EQ because "it's not what the artist intended" is some of the best giveaway for me. EQs, amps, double amping, etc are just tools, use it whenever necessary, and use them wisely, nothing more, nothing less.. sound and human perceptions changes all the time
The audiophile community is frequently far, far more critical about their equipment than actual audio engineers. From what I understand, most audio engineers will have a set of reference-tuned speakers and a set of more consumer-tuned speakers so they can see how the music will sound for the majority of listeners and make sure they haven't left in too much gain in a certain region that conflicts with typical tuning models in consumer speakers and headphones. Audio engineers and the majority of consumers use their equipment to listen to the music, while audiophiles have a, sometimes unfortunate, habit of using their music to listen to their equipment.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it can make people in the community seem aloof to those who aren't familiar with the concept.

What is important is to find what sounds good to you, then sit back and enjoy your music, movies, YouTube videos, whatever. Because being hyper-aware of your equipment can just get tiring.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #58,913 of 106,629
What is important is to find what sounds good to you, then sit back and enjoy your music, movies, YouTube videos, whatever. Because being hyper-aware of your equipment can just get tiring.

yes, at the end of the day, this is what matter the most :ksc75smile:

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #58,914 of 106,629
One more interesting sets before the mods lock this thread,

Earsonics CORSA

original.jpg

Screenshot_20210810-114026386 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20210810-113848250 (1).jpg

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #58,915 of 106,629
Sorry I can't help not laughing LOL seeing the quarell on this thread. Chill out guys, this is our hobby, we should be happy here talking something in common with others.
Don't shoot me please :ksc75smile:
My respect to @Dsnuts on how he responded to the insult toward him.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #58,916 of 106,629
Let's get back to discussion of audio gears. Recently received the Oriolus Traillii I ordered. The hype is justified. This is easily one of the best IEMs i have tried. Extremely engaging IEM with fantastic extension on both ends. Vocals are clear and transparent but never lean. Soundstage is holographic. If there is one weakness, I will say it's the bass. We all know DD bass is always the best but for IEMs not using DD, Traillii performs at the top which comes as no surprise.

394405f3-f9f6-4d10-933a-59243540045e.jpeg

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #58,917 of 106,629
Let's get back to discussion of audio gears. Recently received the Oriolus Traillii I ordered. The hype is justified. This is easily one of the best IEMs i have tried. Extremely engaging IEM with fantastic extension on both ends. Vocals are clear and transparent but never lean. Soundstage is holographic. If there is one weakness, I will say it's the bass. We all know DD bass is always the best but for IEMs not using DD, Traillii performs at the top which comes as no surprise.

394405f3-f9f6-4d10-933a-59243540045e.jpeg
I don't think the lack of DD in Traillii is a cons,
it's just a different flavour to let the Mids and Treble shine, some might even prefer a BA presentation over DD,
How about the vacuum / ear pressure from the lack of breathing hole ?

oh, and do you have any plan to review the upcoming VE offering ? the EXT,
I'm tempted with the configuration,
2DD + EST,

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #58,918 of 106,629
Ok guys this is not constructive or is it something that I want to see on this thread. You all need to chill. This whole finger pointing and what not is not good. Nothing ever good comes about from this. This is exactly how arguments start and get the thread monitored. I would prefer that to not happen.

I have discussed with audio in private about his postings on this thread and he continues to post about stuff I warned him about several times. So I will call him out in pubic. I would appreciate you not posting stuff like that and I don't give a rip about what folks post on discord or anywhere else on the nets. I have been through too much life to worry about what folks say online. I couldn't possibly care less. I must be quite the topic on other places. Lol.

You all don't have to respect what I do or what I post about on headfi I have been called much worse. I for one am not gonna bash another persons namesake online no matter what I think of that person. Life is too short for stuff like that. I would like to think most folks that post here are good natured and have their own real lives going on to be stressed about online stuff. Less finger pointing and more discoveries. Please.

If your gonna argue about whos more experienced or who is legit and who is not. Stupid high school stuff. Go do it elsewhere but not here. I am sure most of the readers here would appreciate that including myself. I am gonna kindly ask you all to refrain from these kind of posts.
"So I will call him out in pubic". I love that! Lol

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #58,919 of 106,629
I don't think the lack of DD in Traillii is a cons,
it's just a different flavour to let the Mids and Treble shine, some might even prefer a BA presentation over DD,
How about the vacuum / ear pressure from the lack of breathing hole ?

oh, and do you have any plan to review the upcoming VE offering ? the EXT,
I'm tempted with the configuration,
2DD + EST,
Yea you can say so. Ear pressure is alright I guess. I will let you know as I am interested in the EXT too.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #58,920 of 106,629
Has anyone ordered the 634ears SARN-II? I'm mighty interested in them. @nymz gonna bite the bullet? I will wait in that case for your impression, please take one for the community :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back