The discovery thread!
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #58,337 of 100,444
This month's blind purchases, one based on hype, one based on graph. Hopefully I'll love them both 😜
Screenshot_20210722-113133~2.png

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #58,338 of 100,444
Sorry. Everything before 1kHz and after 4kHz looks atrocious.

I might actually become pregnant from that 10k schlong.
Fortunately "EARS" are better judges than FR graphs!...
"OCD is a common mental health condition where a person has obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours."
Hawaii Bad Boy's OCD affects his clarity of thought - & the prospect of a painful FR graph sends him into non-rational overdrive!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #58,339 of 100,444
I don't know if it's the piezos, but I can't listen to my NX7 pro's due to the way they present cymbals, bells, handclaps etc.
The GK10 will be my second attempt to enjoy piezos.

Going by my very limited experience of inexpensive DD/BA alternatives (magnetostats-Shuoer Tape and piezos-NX7 pro) I think I MUCH prefer M-stats. Hopefully the GK10 might change that.
I look forward to being able to hear bone conduction and 'proper' e-stats one day.
My experience of orthodynamic drivers is limited to the IMR EDP, which I absolutely love (maybe a TINY bit bass shy for this basshead) so I also look forward to hearing what the i3 pro has up it's sleeve.
I'm similarly intrigued by the i3. Planar magnetic drivers are always a source of intrigue due to the acclaim they garner for their mids reproduction and timbre. Something about the agility of the driver and the way it handles decay ends up resulting in an incredibly natural sound signature out to the point that they start breaking up (most drivers recommend crossing between 5 and 7kHz for the 10mm and even lower for the 14mm). I'm curious how that kind of natural mid and lower treble would sound with a strong sub-bass emphasizing dynamic backing it and a better tuned BA giving it greater treble extension. Honestly, I'd love to see someone get their hands on the super-tweeter BAs that Sony is making and using those with a standard Knowles TWFK series to provide a silky smooth treble, but that's unlikely to happen since Sony is legitimately making those particular drivers in-house. They're interesting, though, because they're top-ported, which makes for stronger upper extension reinforcement. Tuning those peaks down with filters is how the TOTL Sony IEMs have their luxuriously smooth treble response curves.

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #58,340 of 100,444
Fortunately "EARS" are better instruments than graphs !!
EXACTLY!!! Graphs are BULLs***. Never met a graph that dictated what my ears hear. Also all the negative nelly pundits who are bagging on the "hype train" without ever hearing the darn earphone? How about you all just shut up and walk away, so your negativity doesn't get us shut down? Let's say you? As for that guy who keeps commenting about the impedence or ohms or whatever it is, he's the same dude who commented on the NX7 mk III when all he's every tried was the original. Completely different sounding earphones. I know. I own BOTH. So opinions and conjectures are as flaccid as a 80 year old's...well...you know what...until you've actually purchased the item, popped them in your ears, and had a go yourself. I'll trust the 4-5 contributors who have commented and have listened to the GK10 vs the apparent "hype train" negators who haven't even hear them yet. Go have some chamomile tea and take a chill pill, or stop being a cheapskate and buy a pair. It's as cheap as chips...unless you're on welfare or something? If that's the case...you shouldn't be here. This place makes you BUY.

https://www.amazon.com/Earbuds-Earphones-Monitor-Piezoelectric-Audiophile/dp/B099K92JQP/

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #58,341 of 100,444
Fortunately "EARS" are better instruments than graphs !!
Yeah, there's a tendency for measuring weirdness to happen around 7-8kHz when you encounter harmonic coupling with the measuring equipment. It makes graphs sometimes a bit less useful, which is always a pain. Measuring IEMs really can be a thankless task compared to full-sized loudspeakers.

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #58,342 of 100,444
Yeah, there's a tendency for measuring weirdness to happen around 7-8kHz when you encounter harmonic coupling with the measuring equipment. It makes graphs sometimes a bit less useful, which is always a pain. Measuring IEMs really can be a thankless task compared to full-sized loudspeakers.
D'accord...it's a fine art...just like tuning is. It's best to take his FR graph drivel with a shovel of salt (or sh**) imafo. Certain iems he's slayed like Tri-i3 etc....leads one to the conclusion that his hissy fits are tbf...Hiss terical !!......I wouldn't have the majority of my collection if it was up to his "superior"? knowledge. Fortunately, I don't watch any of his videos now...I'll never kowtow to such condescending preaching....and as we're on the subject of HBB...what about his (yawn) tiresome playlist ??...are there any representations of electronica / binaural soundscapes etc?? Nope! That kind of diss misses any micro detail/stage feedback then imho:...AC/DC / Zep / Floyd / Rap all catered for in spades....but what about the subtle nuances ???

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #58,343 of 100,444
This month's blind purchases, one based on hype, one based on graph. Hopefully I'll love them both 😜
Screenshot_20210722-113133~2.png
Such a pleasure to see the £ symbol instead of converting from the $ 😊 [whisper: to our American friends, just a bit of humour] 😁.

Odd, the less expensive item cost more in total than the more expensive item! Did you pay more tax on the less expensive item or additional shipping costs?

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #58,344 of 100,444
D'accord...it's a fine art...just like tuning...best to take the FR graph with a shovel of salt imafo - certain iems he slayed like Tri-i3 etc. Leads one to the conclusion that his hissy fits are tbf Hiss terical!...I wouldn't have the majority of my collection if it was up to his "superior" ? knowledge. Fortunately,I don't watch any of his videos now...I'll never kowtow to such condescending preaching....and as we're on the subject of HBB...what about his (yawn) tiresome playlist ??...any electronica / binaural soundscapes etc? Nope! ...that diss misses any micro detail / stage feedback then! ...AC/DC / Zep / Floyd / Rap all catered for in spades....but what about the nuances ???
To each their own. I listen to mostly synthesized stuff, so I can't really judge people based on their music preferences. I mostly check out his stuff to see if something I'm interested in has glaring flaws so I can temper my expectations accordingly. He's also one of the rare reviewers to actually graph pretty much everything he reviews, which is nice. Still, I basically never take anyone's word as gospel since everyone has different ears, different preferences, and different needs from their audio gear. The TRI i3 does graph weird everywhere I see it, but for certain genre of music this is irrelevant. It's useful to know what people who make these reviews are listening for and he actually does make an effort to explain what kinds of sounds he's using in these tracks to make his assessments of the IEMs he's reviewing. As for his library, well, we could go into a music theory debate about whether rap can be legitimately classed as 'music' or not, but that would just upset people and it has no realistic impact on my life.

So yes, your determination that graphs and reviews can be broadly taken with enough salt to kill am elephant is a fair one to come to. Graphs are challenging to make when you're having to place the IEM millimeters away from the transducer, so there's plenty of opportunity for them to lie to you, especially in the upper treble where it matters. Reviewers can be authentic about how they perceive the merits or demerits of a set and it still not be relevant to you or your needs. What it can do, however, is provide another point of reference from which you can make an informed judgement about a set before you make the plunge to buy it yourself.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #58,345 of 100,444
Sorry. Everything before 1kHz and after 4kHz looks atrocious.

I might actually become pregnant from that 10k schlong.
Hopefully their sound will impress me more than the graph. There's always the distinct possibility of some harmonic weirdness messing up his results. And, if everything else fails, I have EqualizerAPO with PeaceUI to make it all better again. Just a few hours of fiddling with EQ points and gain levels should have me questioning my sanity and wondering if my ears are broken and whether or not I'm remembering correctly how songs are supposed to sound. Been there, done that.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #58,346 of 100,444
Such a pleasure to see the £ symbol instead of converting from the $ 😊 [whisper: to our American friends, just a bit of humour] 😁.

Odd, the less expensive item cost more in total than the more expensive item! Did you pay more tax on the less expensive item or additional shipping costs?
For the KBear I used £4.41 of store coupons, they're not reflected in the initial price on the Ali order summary for some reason.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #58,347 of 100,444
To each their own. I listen to mostly synthesized stuff, so I can't really judge people based on their music preferences. I mostly check out his stuff to see if something I'm interested in has glaring flaws so I can temper my expectations accordingly. He's also one of the rare reviewers to actually graph pretty much everything he reviews, which is nice. Still, I basically never take anyone's word as gospel since everyone has different ears, different preferences, and different needs from their audio gear. The TRI i3 does graph weird everywhere I see it, but for certain genre of music this is irrelevant. It's useful to know what people who make these reviews are listening for and he actually does make an effort to explain what kinds of sounds he's using in these tracks to make his assessments of the IEMs he's reviewing. As for his library, well, we could go into a music theory debate about whether rap can be legitimately classed as 'music' or not, but that would just upset people and it has no realistic impact on my life.

So yes, your determination that graphs and reviews can be broadly taken with enough salt to kill am elephant is a fair one to come to. Graphs are challenging to make when you're having to place the IEM millimeters away from the transducer, so there's plenty of opportunity for them to lie to you, especially in the upper treble where it matters. Reviewers can be authentic about how they perceive the merits or demerits of a set and it still not be relevant to you or your needs. What it can do, however, is provide another point of reference from which you can make an informed judgement about a set before you make the plunge to buy it yourself.
Don't get me wrong I appreciate wholeheartedly, the tech knowledge acquired, in order to measure accurately & determine merits etc..I've no problem with that at all...It just becomes problematic...when a dogma is asserted - meaning that you're probably gonna miss sets that are YOUR signature, cos of someone elses' myopic viewpoint. Thus there's no replacement at all for first hand auditioning!...and as a side note I have a few Korg / Roland analogue polysynths - Arturia Keystep Pro...two iPad air4's mirrored via widi.....midi merge & widi. The config uses split midi cables to expand the chain possibilities further...totally kept in time via Ableton link - plus the Korgs' sequencers. Also I have two sets of independent Presonus BT near field monitors - this set up generates an amazing frequency range - so I'm always mindful of the fact that my iems need to be able to cater for & handle this output via laptop soundcard.
The GK....has no problems whatsoever in this regard......thus GK10 is: "The Temple" I Worship At ! haha !!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #58,348 of 100,444
Just to chime in. The BGGAR graph of KBEAR Believe is vastly different from what I hear from my set. So I take his graph of the GK10 with lots of reservation.

BTW, I have a pair of GK10 coming in 7-10 days, and will compare it with every pair of piezoelectric IEMs I now own (which are LZ A7, LZ A6, NX7 mk3, SF D T6, D T6 pro, Spring 2).

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #58,349 of 100,444
Just to chime in. The BGGAR graph of KBEAR Believe is vastly different from what I hear from my set. So I take his graph of the GK10 with lots of reservation.

BTW, I have a pair of GK10 coming in 7-10 days, and will compare it with every pair of piezoelectric IEMs I now own (which are LZ A7, LZ A6, NX7 mk3, SF D T6, D T6 pro, Spring 2).

I'm sure we would all appreciate your efforts and comparisons. Piezos are very new to me so theres a huge gap in my knowledge / experience here. Make sure to drop your impressions and comparisons in the dedicated GK10 thread too! Cheers!

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #58,350 of 100,444
Don't get me wrong I appreciate wholeheartedly, the tech knowledge acquired, in order to measure accurately & determine merits etc..I've no problem with that at all...It just becomes problematic...when a dogma is asserted - meaning that you're probably gonna miss sets that are YOUR signature, cos of someone elses' myopic viewpoint. Thus there's no replacement at all for first hand auditioning!...and as a side note I have a few Korg / Roland analogue polysynths - Arturia Keystep Pro...two iPad air4's mirrored via widi.....midi merge & widi. The config uses split midi cables to expand the chain possibilities further...totally kept in time via Ableton link - plus the Korgs' sequencers. Also I have two sets of independent Presonus BT near field monitors - this set up generates an amazing frequency range - so I'm always mindful of the fact that my iems need to be able to cater for & handle this output via laptop soundcard.
The GK....has no problems at all.......this is "The Temple" I Worship At ! haha !!
I've been enjoying the fantastic atmospheric covers of Touhou songs by the artist Foxtail-Grass Studio which I'm fairly certain are made using really well recorded instrumental samples then arranged from there. Check them out if you have any interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back