The discovery thread!
Jul 16, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #57,931 of 100,516
Totally into hearing what it’s about when you get it. Any ETA on the arrival?
Very soon👍 7/26. I have CCZ plume coming around that, as well as GK10.

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #57,932 of 100,516
Yeah I think it is as you folks say, men generally work in louder places in their jobs eg construction, military, manufacturing, field work, transport, airports etc. And perhaps some noisy hobbies like cars/motorbikes, rock concerts/clubbing, guns (firing range), even our audiophile hobby etc are kinda male predominant.

But the biggest factor why men don't hear so well as they get older, is that the woman nags at the husband, especially every time a new IEM hypetrain comes in the mail. Over years this causes noise induced hearing loss hahaha. I'm kiddin' K, no offense, but every time something audio related arrives in the mail, I have to sneak it in beyond the hawk eyes of the wifey! I've managed to lower the chances of getting caught by avoiding headphones (too big to conceal), avoiding exotic coloured/design shells (eg BLON BL-05S hospital green, BLON MINI macaroni shell), and just using conventional black/silver IEMs/earbuds, they look the same to her from far.

well i guess my hearing would last a bit longer, as my wife doesn't nag or say anything every time i purchase new gear

she would just look and smirk a little..so no damage to the ears, just hurts a little emotionally :laughing::laughing:

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #57,933 of 100,516
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jul 16, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #57,934 of 100,516
It’s a TWS but after reading this article, I couldn’t resist ordering a “near-perfect positioning” IEM per the Japanese reviewer I know he reviewed hundreds of IEM including recent release of the hyped GK10, and Very very new CCZ Plume.

Here is translated article(I wish that’s no a commercially paid article)
https://www-ear--phone--review-com....x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv,elem

Still a bit skeptical about ordering “for gaming” type, but anyway, Final VR3000 for gaming was indeed a good purchase for positioning and sound field accuracy, and natural timbre, I have good hope for that “Gamer No.1”

It’s available from Amazon Japan, not on us market so I ordered with $18USD intl shipping, original cost is like $30USD😳

Wish me luck🥺
Here is the link just in case if anyone else interested:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08XBHQ..._dl_VMSVX01EJWNMXK8H37CV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My current “near reality” simulator is Softears RSV, hope this $30 IEM could beat that.
Its soundpeats. It sound be pretty decent.
They got the TWS basic right. better than KZ tws at least in term tws functionality.
The sound tuning also pretty decent.

One soundpeats gem being, the Soundpeats H1, the hybrid with Knowles BA.
Its review below
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/so...wles-ba-driver-tws.25224/reviews?order=rating

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #57,936 of 100,516
I threw on a much higher end cable just now on the GK10. I just can't get over their sound. It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't advise to throw on a $699 cable on a $45 phone. Lol.

You know what these sound a bit like to me. They sound a bit like a cheapmans version of the Ibasso IT07.
I am in China. So, in my case, do you know of a link in taobao?

-Clear

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #57,937 of 100,516
But the biggest factor why men don't hear so well as they get older, is that the woman nags at the husband, especially every time a new IEM hypetrain comes in the mail. Over years this causes noise induced hearing loss hahaha. I'm kiddin' K, no offense, but every time something audio related arrives in the mail, I have to sneak it in beyond the hawk eyes of the wifey! I've managed to lower the chances of getting caught by avoiding headphones (too big to conceal), avoiding exotic coloured/design shells (eg BLON BL-05S hospital green, BLON MINI macaroni shell), and just using conventional black/silver IEMs/earbuds, they look the same to her from far.

This cracked me up so much. Went and read it to my gf. She laughed and then gave that look. Guess no more phones this month...

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #57,938 of 100,516
well i guess my hearing would last a bit longer, as my wife doesn't nag or say anything every time i purchase new gear

she would just look and smirk a little..so no damage to the ears, just hurts a little emotionally :laughing::laughing:
My sister ended up with hearing damage from her time in marching and concert band. The main downside of learning the flute or piccolo is hearing loss on your right side in particular, but if your band is large enough to have a second, you'll likely end up with some hearing damage on both sides. Sucks for her, but it does mean that she can enjoy cheaper IEMs without the constant desire to upgrade like I do.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #57,939 of 100,516
didn't know there is a gender deviation nice comprehensive graph you got it there! very informative.

It perfectly makes sense that 50yo+ male is 10-20db less sensitive to 4-8khz treble, which NM2+ has a significant boost around that range.

And yea I do think the different reviewer is telling their truth, each one has own unique hearing in a sense so that following the same profile or close profile reviewer/user's impression is the shortest way of salvaging the core values. I also substruct those curve variance of experienced reviewers and add back some variance gap to true-up the core impression sometimes, as the experienced reviewers spent decades in listening.
That's exactly the approach I try to take in most of my subjective hobbies. People like what they like because everybody has their own preferences. What is most important is to figure out what you like so you can try to read between the lines in a review and see if something is legitimately worth your interest aside from as a curiosity. Graphs are great for this in the audio community because they can provide at least a rough guide for how you can expect a set to sound. There's still plenty of variance, though, since certain driver types are more or less impactful despite what the graphs might indicate. BA bass vs. DD bass is a good example, since sets with DD bass may graph with less bass gain but still sound more bass-heavy compared to a set with BA drivers for bass. Electret treble is another example. Upper treble gain on an electret equipped set is less stabbey compared to the same amount of gain on BAs or DDs. That's where you have to read reviews to really try to piece together the whole picture. It really helps when you can find a reviewer that seems to have similar hearing to you, even if their library isn't to your preferences.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #57,943 of 100,516
the woman nags at the husband, especially every time a new IEM hypetrain comes in the mail. Over years this causes noise induced hearing loss hahaha. I'm kiddin' K, no offense, but every time something audio related arrives in the mail, I have to sneak it in beyond the hawk eyes of the wifey! I've managed to lower the chances of getting caught by avoiding headphones (too big to conceal), avoiding exotic coloured/design shells (eg BLON BL-05S hospital green, BLON MINI macaroni shell), and just using conventional black/silver IEMs/earbuds, they look the same to her from far.
One strategy that’s worked very well for me with my wife is to create a YouTube channel and call every new headphone purchase an “investment.” Now she’s excited for my new gear!

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #57,944 of 100,516
Yeah I think it is as you folks say, men generally work in louder places in their jobs eg construction, military, manufacturing, field work, transport, airports etc. And perhaps some noisy hobbies like cars/motorbikes, rock concerts/clubbing, guns (firing range), even our audiophile hobby etc are kinda male predominant.

Circumstantial noise🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back