The discovery thread!
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #57,901 of 99,776
I got the notice from Penon. Ordered last week, but guess they ran out of blue before mine was dispatched. It's not a big deal as things go, for sure. But I sure love me some color blue, as my car is blue and painted my house blue, among most of my other choices.

If the GK10 sounds really good (and sells like hotcakes), hopefully they'll decide to offer it in a more standard shell (not heart shaped) with color/faceplate choices...and I'll buy another one.
I agree. The reason why these are in a heart shape I found out is one of the reasons why they are so cheap. Probably a parts bin housing that they threw on the drivers in to make them fit. I am still dumbfounded how they got all them drivers stuffed inside of these things and more importantly to make them sound right.

Once you get the shells and get the drivers to work inside them it is too late to change anything. I am willing to spend double easily for an upgraded shell that is more universal in design. Possibly more roomier, even if it is the same drivers they are using.

But money talks. These guys are having a hard time keeping up with the demand that is good cus that just means they will hopefully do one better next time. But for now I am eager to see what you all have to say about them.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #57,902 of 99,776
It would be a crime if I didn't. These deserve a full review if there ever was one. I have been writing about them all week.
I hope to get something out by the end of the week or maybe early next week. Dependent on how much stuff I gotta do during my weekend but. I plan on it.
If they beat out the others around $100 that I have coming, it’ll get a video from me at least!

But Legacy 2 is tough completion. Albeit, that’s $100. I’ll have a “favorite budget” IEM video for the one that tops the ten or so of them I’m looking at.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #57,903 of 99,776
I also have NM2+ and agree with headsmacking piecing edgy sharp treble, it’s not tolerable for me as well. But I do read some hyped review of NM2+, of which I’ve noticed a trend that the reviwer is over 50yo and from other preferred IEMs I could tell his/her has possibly impaired hearing on high frequencies, so to that group NM2+ would sound very neutral. Lofty’s case might also following that course.
I too have noticed a similar trend. I prefer reviewers who are closer to my age like @RikudouGoku although our listening preferences differ but there are certain things that I can always pick up as a point of reference like treble and other stuff that usually people over 45 yrs are hardly able to discern.
We are sorry that because the GK10 blue panel has run out. It was not available in time, so now we have made some red and green colors. Customers who have purchased blue panels and have not shipped, we will inform you change the color or postponed.

https://penonaudio.com/geek-wold-gk10.html

:)
GeekWoldGK10wGe.jpg

GeekWoldGK10wRe.jpg
I'd totally dig that red one! 🤩

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #57,904 of 99,776
I cannot find the GK10 on aliexpress,

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #57,906 of 99,776
I too have noticed a similar trend. I prefer reviewers who are closer to my age like @RikudouGoku although our listening preferences differ but there are certain things that I can always pick up as a point of reference like treble and other stuff that usually people over 45 yrs are hardly able to discern.

People over 45 hear most treble just fine. I'm past 55 and I still hear up to 14.5kHz. NA2+ and NM2+ are too bright for me too generally but I like them with some darker genres that have little treble content. I don't think sensitivity to treble decreases with age, it seems you just lose more and more perception of spectrum top end as you grow older.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #57,907 of 99,776
This one on hifigo is what color?....
1626370206705.png

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #57,908 of 99,776
This one on hifigo is what color?....
1626370206705.png
they have a slightly different color depends on the batch,
maybe this is the green one?

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #57,909 of 99,776
Thinking it is actually the blue one. Would be better if it is a separate yellow or golden color cause you'd be lucky to get that ordering blue or even green. :)

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #57,911 of 99,776
Hey discovery peeps. I still only have a few IEM’s of the maybe 10 budget sets coming in total…but so far I prefer the Starfield over the Legacy 2 and the Sennheiser IE 100 Pro. If the starfield continues to win as my most enjoyable set even after others come in, then it’ll be the one to get a video with impressions and recording comparisons focused on it.

I’m actually very impressed with it for only $110. We’ll see if it remains as a top budget recommendation soon enough!

Oh, and I really didn’t find much joy in the sennheiser IE100, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #57,913 of 99,776
Dsnuts must be the Penon employee of the month 😂

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #57,914 of 99,776
Personally, I don't like to get excited by an IEM because of the user's listening impressions but when the user ( In this case, @Dsnuts ) owns stuffs like iBasso IT07, IER-Z1R, Penon Volt, UM MEST, Dunu Luna, Campfire Solaris, Campfire Andromeda S, Empire Ears Zeus, etc, one got to be excited. I am now stoked to try the GK10.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #57,915 of 99,776
Hey discovery peeps. I still only have a few IEM’s of the maybe 10 budget sets coming in total…but so far I prefer the Starfield over the Legacy 2 and the Sennheiser IE 100 Pro. If the starfield continues to win as my most enjoyable set even after others come in, then it’ll be the one to get a video with impressions and recording comparisons focused on it.

I’m actually very impressed with it for only $110. We’ll see if it remains as a top budget recommendation soon enough!

Oh, and I really didn’t find much joy in the sennheiser IE100, unfortunately.
Have you tried IT01X? That's my top recommendation in that price range. I did a comparison against the Starfield in my review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back