The discovery thread!
Jun 28, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #57,331 of 104,206
Anyone seen any graphs for the new Mangird EST set? I'm considering it against the Clairvoyance, so graphs would be super helpful.
The graph is in the product photos on the Linsoul product page.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #57,332 of 104,206
The graph is in the product photos on the Linsoul product page.
Thanks for pointing that out to me! It was hiding under the arrows, so I didn't notice it earlier. Looks pretty similar to the Clairvoyance, but with a cliff edge at something like 17kHz. I mean, I can't actually hear that high, but I think for the same price, I'd go for the Clairvoyance with its additional BA and marginally less flashy aesthetic.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #57,333 of 104,206
Thanks for pointing that out to me! It was hiding under the arrows, so I didn't notice it earlier. Looks pretty similar to the Clairvoyance, but with a cliff edge at something like 17kHz. I mean, I can't actually hear that high, but I think for the same price, I'd go for the Clairvoyance with its additional BA and marginally less flashy aesthetic.
The Sonion BAs of the XENNS really tempt me though…

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #57,334 of 104,206
I think RikudouGoku ordered one of them and maybe TheVortex did too. Just a matter of time until their units arrive and they burn them in for review. Do note that initial impressions of their hybrid models can be incredibly misleading, as their DD need at least a dozen hours burn-in to really loosen up properly. That's been my experience with the GD7B. Really sounds great after that, though. I expect the GD3A and GD3B will be a bit less easy to drive since they're less sensitive and also higher impedance. My guess is that they're using higher impedance BA drivers or they've wired the drivers in series instead of parallel. Still well within accessibility since they're still less than 30ohm and over 105db sensitivity, so they still won't be challenging to power to uncomfortable volumes. The higher impedance will also help a tiny bit with sources that have more noise, so there's that.
I only ordered the GT12. I think a few people ordered lower models but it's all a waiting game now.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #57,335 of 104,206
The Sonion BAs of the XENNS really tempt me though…
Hopefully some reviews will be out before I'm looking to pull the trigger. I don't have enough experience to have a particular preference for Knowles vs. Sonion. All I know is that each of their series has a set of flagship drivers for various purposes and the role of the sound engineers who do the driver selection and tuning is to select the drivers whose operating frequency response best matches the curves they're trying to produce with the crossover matrix they intend to use, then optimize the crossover points and electrical and physical filters to smooth out the peaks in its response to best match the curve they're targeting. Both brands offer excellent drivers in all frequency ranges and it's really down to tuning and personal preference as to which will suit your expectations best.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #57,336 of 104,206
I only ordered the GT12. I think a few people ordered lower models but it's all a waiting game now.
Have you still been enjoying yours? I'm loving my GD7B as I use it to listen to YouTube videos in the background. It has broken in so well and the isolation from the sealed shell is out of this world for a hybrid config. The GT12 is on my short list of potential future purchases, so I'm curious if the sound has developed any more since your impressions earlier. I swear the DD in mine gained, like, 10dB in bass response from hour 1 to hour 12 of use/burn. I'm curious if the 38 series Sonion BAs had any real development during burn-in, given the size of the membrane they must be dealing with in that large of a BA driver.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #57,337 of 104,206
Have you still been enjoying yours? I'm loving my GD7B as I use it to listen to YouTube videos in the background. It has broken in so well and the isolation from the sealed shell is out of this world for a hybrid config. The GT12 is on my short list of potential future purchases, so I'm curious if the sound has developed any more since your impressions earlier. I swear the DD in mine gained, like, 10dB in bass response from hour 1 to hour 12 of use/burn. I'm curious if the 38 series Sonion BAs had any real development during burn-in, given the size of the membrane they must be dealing with in that large of a BA driver.
I have not really noticed any difference with my use of the GT12 and I have been using them along with the Blon Prometheus that arrived as well.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #57,338 of 104,206
I have not really noticed any difference with my use of the GT12 and I have been using them along with the Blon Prometheus that arrived as well.
The Prometheus is certainly an interesting prospect. I'm just not quite as invested in purchasing more single DD units unless they're bullet-style IEMs that I can force into an over-ear cable configuration. At least those offer the convenience of their form factor for added comfort. Given how much love BLON has gotten for their previous offerings, the Prometheus should sound quite good, but it would be a hard sell for me from a technicalities perspective, since single DD units have a difficult time competing with hybrids or all-BA configurations for transient performance and treble accuracy. I guess it depends on the intended application, though. They are certainly interesting to look at, though. I love seeing them finding a clever use for 3D laser sintered metal printing, even if the result isn't necessarily what I would want for myself. Hopefully it'll sell well so they'll keep experimenting and the tech will take off in other brands.

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #57,339 of 104,206
The Prometheus is certainly an interesting prospect. I'm just not quite as invested in purchasing more single DD units unless they're bullet-style IEMs that I can force into an over-ear cable configuration. At least those offer the convenience of their form factor for added comfort. Given how much love BLON has gotten for their previous offerings, the Prometheus should sound quite good, but it would be a hard sell for me from a technicalities perspective, since single DD units have a difficult time competing with hybrids or all-BA configurations for transient performance and treble accuracy. I guess it depends on the intended application, though. They are certainly interesting to look at, though. I love seeing them finding a clever use for 3D laser sintered metal printing, even if the result isn't necessarily what I would want for myself. Hopefully it'll sell well so they'll keep experimenting and the tech will take off in other brands.

How the Prometheus looks in real life is crazy and like you said it is good to see companies pushing the envelope.

I am happy with how the Blon sounds and single DD units typically have great tonality and this Blon is a step up not just in technicalities but fit / comfort and the supplied cable is actually decent lol

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #57,340 of 104,206
On god the isolation with the GT8 + spinfit cp100 is extreme, it cancels so much outside noise

Also since the inside of my ears is kind of small, the winged shell starts hurting so much after a while but can't stop listening to them.

gt8-2.jpg

The cable it came with has some yellow staint, maybe some oxidation?

gt8-5.jpg

The red and black looks really nice

gt8-7.jpg

And it's really easy to see through them!

*Edit: Sorry, no other 8 BA IEM to compare to :upside_down:
Congratulations, they are very beautiful ... Even without the comparison, how do they sound? Thick or thin timbre? Back or forward vocals? Analytical cooler signature or musical and engaging warmer? Is the bass big or balanced?

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #57,341 of 104,206
How are the lower-priced offerings from GS Audio, like maybe the GD3B or the GT2/GD2? I'm keen on getting one of those.

What's up with their naming convention btw?
I've got a GT2 and GT12 on the way but they still have to be produced and shipped. So I won't have either of them for a couple more weeks

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #57,343 of 104,206
I've got a GT2 and GT12 on the way but they still have to be produced and shipped. So I won't have either of them for a couple more weeks
Mine took about two and a half weeks to be made and shipped to the US. Honestly not too bad, except for the overwhelming desire to play with a new toy that is stuck in logistics purgatory. If the GT12 behaves like my GD7B, which the graphs indicate shouldn't be too far off, then it should be a great set for you. Flat tuning is interesting, since it makes it so easy to hear how things are mixed and mastered and how each source colors the output. It's definitely the perfect toy for an audiophile to really sink their teeth into. You'll have to post impressions of how they behave when they arrive. I wonder how much shallower the shell really is on the lower driver count IEMs that they make. Their listings make the GT2 and ST2 look really shallow, which seems ideal for people who don't want them to protrude from their ears because they want to, for instance, sleep in them.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #57,344 of 104,206
Looks like GS Audio is about to shake the market with all kind of hybrid combinations. I'm also waiting for the reviews and particularly interested in GT4, ST2 and SD3 which fits my budget.
Looks like Akros, the guy who reviewed the GD7B on YouTube first has orders in for a variety of their more reasonably priced models, so maybe he will post a video reviewing all of those. My guess is that he wants to test out those because their FR graphs look more lively and entertaining compared to the reference flat GD7B. He says he ordered the GD3B, SD3 and SD5, though I think he meant the ST5. Should be a fun time for him when those arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back