The discovery thread!
Jun 4, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #56,882 of 100,570
It states it does use the 38 series and I am looking forward to these monsters :sunglasses:

We will all find out 😂
As soon as they post their tribrid, I'm taking the dive as well. I so hope their tribrid has a 38 series BA and a 33 series BA to complement the DD and EST, but we shall see.

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #56,884 of 100,570
I am looking forward to seeing that.
I'm so damn excited. Their rep said they planned to have them listed by the end of the month. I'd be thrilled if they got them up before the 22nd so there's a chance to use the AliExpress coupons on it, but at the price point they quoted before, it's worth the risk regardless, at least for me. Probably best to wait for the ones you've already ordered to come in before sinking more money into it.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #56,885 of 100,570
I'm so damn excited. Their rep said they planned to have them listed by the end of the month. I'd be thrilled if they got them up before the 22nd so there's a chance to use the AliExpress coupons on it, but at the price point they quoted before, it's worth the risk regardless, at least for me. Probably best to wait for the ones you've already ordered to come in before sinking more money into it.

I would hold off and see what the impressions are of the ones we have ordered on Headfi.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #56,886 of 100,570
I would hold off and see what the impressions are of the ones we have ordered on Headfi.
AliExpress has some buyer protections in place and I wouldn't terribly mind paying return shipping if they're unusable, but I was already tempted to spend nearly the same amount between a couple of their other IEMs. Might as well spend on something with EST drivers instead. I guess it'll depend on when they launch them.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #56,887 of 100,570
AliExpress has some buyer protections in place and I wouldn't terribly mind paying return shipping if they're unusable, but I was already tempted to spend nearly the same amount between a couple of their other IEMs. Might as well spend on something with EST drivers instead. I guess it'll depend on when they launch them.

I would wait for impressions of that GS Audio cheaper EST model whenever people get their hands on it as that seems a great deal. Also the new Moondrop Variations EST model looks intriguing but have to wait on that one also no idea of the price on it either.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #56,888 of 100,570
I'm likely allowing myself only one IEM purchase this year, and have been hoping @DUNU-Topsound would release a new flagship in '21 (or at least have solid rumors of same sometime early '22). Not sure where that open back would fit in their lineup, but still interested regardless. Gonna hold-off on the Senn IE900 just because I'm curious about what DUNU are up to.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #56,889 of 100,570
I'm likely allowing myself only one IEM purchase this year, and have been hoping @DUNU-Topsound would release a new flagship in '21 (or at least have solid rumors of same sometime early '22). Not sure where that open back would fit in their lineup, but still interested regardless. Gonna hold-off on the Senn IE900 just because I'm curious about what DUNU are up to.

Coming out with a flagship yearly is... smartphone maker behavior. We don't make smartphones. But then again, we're always up to something...

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jun 4, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #56,890 of 100,570
Coming out with a flagship yearly is... smartphone maker behavior. We don't make smartphones. But then again, we're always up to something...
Oh man, Luna was 2020 release? My bad. Yeah, for sure I don't expect yearly flagship from a solid company like DUNU at least. Guess I can grab myself a IE900 sooner than I thought then. Sticking to a budget is kinda nice for a change.

EDIT: my sense of time is whack since the pandemic hit.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #56,891 of 100,570
Could you spoil us a bit about the one posted today, I’m looking for my last purchase of the year and I’m torn in between imr elan, shozy black hole mini (wood version) or ... THAT that you posted... whatever it is. I’m a food for open back, dynamic driver headphones

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #56,893 of 100,570

Ah, but the caveat is that one has to run thru quite a lot of hoops to "prove" to the seller that something is defective. Eg seller will ask for videos of stuff, but some things can't be shown on videos/photos eg out of phase gear, channel imbalance, unless u have graphing equipment or tools?

CS on Aliexpress can be a crapshoot sometimes. I've had defective gear/missing gear where the seller just ignored my PM. Or sometimes, they try to use delaying tactics to stall the buyer until buyer protection finishes, experienced that too. Or they give a fake tracking number and claim the parcel has been delivered when nothing ever came. All usual tricks of the trade.

And even if the seller does agree to sending back stuff, returning things to China can be a pain. The return costs can add up to a budget IEM, things can get lost etc.

So my 2 cents is that for more expensive gear, best not to buy on Aliexpress from unknown/new shops with unknown repute. Some shops are kinda established and I've no issues putting money there, but it really takes a big leap of faith to get pricey gear from the unknown ones. I never buy from Aliexpress shops that have < 95 - 97% positive ratings, or from new shops that have some alphabet soup as a shop name.

But no worries, if one wants to do a blind purchase for some interesting expensive IEM on Aliexpress, one can always ask @RikudouGoku to take one for the team and buy the IEM in question hahaha. Thank you @RikudouGoku for your services to the audio world, they will always be remembered!

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #56,894 of 100,570
Wow tx for the rec, indeed it seem some next level Hybrid for the price. I like graphene driver i heard (mostly in earbuds) it have this special texture to its timbre and good speed it seem. When i read detailed acoustic properties and design of an IEM, i know most of the time we are into serious audiophile territories unlike lot of chifi amateurish tuning that just throw more an more BA in until our ears or brain explode. I do think singleDD-BA hybrid still ahve tremendous potential with how BA tech evolve. THAT might be a discovery i wanna make! You seem to got taste mate!

DOnt get me wrong, indeed, its at least the more weighty dynamic dd like bass I ever heard from a multi BA, which include overatted Andromeda, 64audio Nio, Fiio FA9...it have a luscious weighty slam, electronic music is sooooo great with the T800 cant have enougn. What ear tips do you use? Thats bigegst flaw for me, it need perfect placement and ear tips to have open imaging-soundstage. I think T800 got inaccurate impressions cause of this caprice. I find very wide bore ear tips the best for multi-BA iem, cause unlike DD, they dont need nozzle tube resonance to extend bass IMO
Thank you. I do have the less can be more ideology while it comes to driver count. However, often I get pleasantly surprised by many driver counts also, like T800, VE 6X-C, EVE20, etc. So I think ultimately it boils down to the tuning capability. However, I still steer clear away from KZ, TRN, etc who just seem to never shy away from jamming a lot BA drivers. Also, I do not go sub-$50 as the SQ never satisfies me there. I bought a BL-03, sold it 5 days later, and I was done.

The bass driver of A3H+ is quite bold, mind you. It's got a voluminous bass, frontal and attacking, midbass has slightly more emphasis than subbass. But surprisingly, the stage is clean and airy despite that. That's what made me go WOW! It's my fun iem.

While I was using T800, I was using its stock tip, and Final Audio E-Type. I know wide bore tips like W01 or sednaearfit or new bee silicone might have attenuated the bass a bit, however, I never really felt the need to attenuate the bass, hence did not change into wide bore. The soundstage was open enough.

BTW, what is this nozzle-tube resonance? Never heard this. Can you elaborate a bit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back