The discovery thread!
May 21, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #56,686 of 102,628
Of the Sony MH series, I only have the MH755.

The Tanya beats the MH755 in technicalities and timbre. Tonally, the MH755 is quite closed to harman tuned, and I do find the MH755 a bit shoutier in the upper mids area, especially at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve).

Sony MH755 also has a crap super short and highly microphonic cable. Both sets are non detachable, but at least the Tanya's cable seems to be longer, less microphonic and thicker. I think legit Sony MH755s are very hard to find nowadays, lots of fakes floating around in the market, so getting your hands on a non fake set is not an easy task.
That makes sense. I have MH750 and MH1 which are in a way similarly tuned to MH755.

Thanks for your impressions. I guess I will take a punt on them just to see where they stack up with my budget DD collection. $24 although is a bit steep for fixed cable IEM but I want to check out the fabled Tancijm signature which is supposedly an inspiration for BL03.

May 21, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #56,687 of 102,628
That makes sense. I have MH750 and MH1 which are in a way similarly tuned to MH755.

Thanks for your impressions. I guess I will take a punt on them just to see where they stack up with my budget DD collection. $24 although is a bit steep for fixed cable IEM but I want to check out the fabled Tancijm signature which is supposedly an inspiration for BL03.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #56,688 of 102,628
Greetings Barasu, I have a "spare" of an authentic MH-755 (+ a spare of the SBH-24 BT receiver with an authentic pair of the same), if you're interested. If so, PM me.
Cheers

May 21, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #56,690 of 102,628
Me too (the unicorn deal), just I did find some "good" ones and have an extra set or two...btw, I pm'd you on your cable, I do want them...:)

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #56,691 of 102,628
Will add Mangrid Tea later, the lukewarm rating for Tea was mainly due to its poor made stock cable that makes Tea so pale and plain /flat narrow ranged. I rolled like 10 cables ranging from PW Audio’s super high-end to Tripowin Zonie, Tea matches very well with Linsoul’s LSC08.
I found the Tea to be remarkably cable sensitive, and thus I had to cable roll a lot with it. You should also try a 20Ohm impedance adapter with it. I’m curious what you think of it with the adapter.

May 21, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #56,692 of 102,628
Moondrop’s Blessing-EST, they called it “Variations” is expected to be released “maybe next month”. Get ready👍
625F74A7-6007-4EBE-BA68-D2AB8CD42A90.jpeg
1EEDB3F5-ED51-49CD-AFA2-ABD5836DAF6B.jpeg

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #56,693 of 102,628
I found the Tea to be remarkably cable sensitive, and thus I had to cable roll a lot with it. You should also try a 20Ohm impedance adapter with it. I’m curious what you think of it with the adapter.
Totally agree, Tea has high sensitivity for cable’s tastes and probably due to its sensitivity & neutral signature, quad sonion Midrange could also be the factor. Very very cable sensitive, I could almost use it as cable benchmarking reference. Thanks! Will try!

May 21, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #56,694 of 102,628
Totally agree, Tea has high sensitivity for cable’s tastes and probably due to its sensitivity & neutral signature, quad sonion Midrange could also be the factor. Very very cable sensitive, I could almost use it as cable benchmarking reference. Thanks! Will try!
Is there anything better than Sonion mids? I have not found it in mid-fi and lower price points.

May 21, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #56,695 of 102,628
Is there anything better than Sonion mids? I have not found it in mid-fi and lower price points.
Softears-MID👍 I’m suspecting those Softears proprietary MIDs are customized Sonion BA though😂
Tea’s quad Sonion Mid is something! But I’ll give credit SA6 a better hand of sound making, but maybe that might be Sonion vented AcuPass dual bass BA’s contributions..

May 21, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #56,696 of 102,628
I just got a Tanchjim Tanya, self purchased unit from the Yaotiger Aliexpress shop with a slight discount.

This is I think the cheapest Tanchjim IEM so far, retailing at $22 USD on most Aliexpress shops.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-20 at 20.04.37 (1).jpeg

Accessories wise, not too shaby for the price, comes with 2 sets of eartips, velvet carry bag, spare filters.
One set of eartips has a wider nozzle bore, this one boosts the upper frequencies. The other set of eartips with narrower bore boost the bass.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-20 at 20.04.37.jpeg

The Tanya is a bullet shaped IEM, meant to be worn cable down. Sadly, the cables are non detachable, but they are quite supple and not tangly, and there's a strain relief. This is not the noodle thin, non strain relief reinforced type of cable that makes your heart drop (looking at you Final E3000, cough cough), I think it looks and feels quite durable. Would have preferred if it was MMCX as least, but I won't beat this area with a stick, since it is a $20ish USD set, and some of the pricier Tanchjim products do not have detachable cables too -> also looking at you, Tanchjim Cora!!

As per most cable down + non detachable design, there's some microphonics unfortunately, but not that bad. The cable is also quite long, so no worries like the Sony MH755 where the too short cable mandates that you can't move too far from the source.

The Tanya is very light and well fitting, very comfortable, as of the time of writing, I've used it for about 1.5 hours to put it thru its paces, no discomfort for me.

Strangely, the Tanya didn't come with any L/R markings to let us know which side is which, but there's a small dot on the strain relief insertion area (into the IEM) to denote that this is the left earpiece. This dot thing seems to be some relic design that I've encountered in some old school Japanese IEMs!

As for isolation, it is below average, as per the open backed design, but this design does aid in soundstage, which we will discuss below, so it is a double edged sword.

The Tanya is rather difficult to drive, despite its onpaper specs of sensitivity of 112 dB and resistance of 16 ohms. In fact, it sounds meh from a lower powered smartphone, and scales nicely when amped. I mean, you can get sound from a lower powered gear, but it can't sing. Ie soundstage, dynamics, microdetails are lost when it isn't amped. When underpowered, the bass bleeds quite a fair bit and music sounds congested. I tried the Tanya originally with the Shanling Q1 DAP and the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro at 2V power (with a 3.5 mm adapter), it sounded a bit mushy and overly thick. On amping this set with the Topping L30 amp, then the veil kind of lifted and I'm glad to report that this set can scale with power, and the bass can be quite clean when amped. Of course that brings us to the question of whether one should pair a $20 USD IEM with a more expensive amp, is that putting the cart before the horse?

On to the sound, OOTB, this is a warm neutral set. Tuning is towards laid back and analoguish. I think the keyword to describe this set is "lush". It is a non analytical set, and is a set suited to chill back and enjoy music.
Tonality is very good, maybe there's a slight upper mids peak around the 3 kHz region, but nothing too shouty or hot there for my tolerances -> in contrast, I couldn't use the Moondrop SSR for more than 5 minutes due to the icepeak 3 kHz spike on it.

Timbral accuracy on the Tanchjim Tanya is excellent, very good for vocals and acoustic instrument lovers. I think it has one of the best timbre I've heard in a $20ish USD set, it may even edge the fabled BLON BL-03 in the timbre department (will do some A/B testing to verify this).

The Tanya is midbass focused. There's a subbass rolloff, but there's a tickle of rumble called for when the deepest bass registers are played. As discussed, when underpowered, the midbass smears and bleeds, but on amping the bass tightens quite a fair bit. The Tanya doesn't have the most textured bass unfortunately. Mids are thick and lush and this gives quite a lot of body to music. This may overly too thick for some, so it can be a pro or con, but those that like the analoguish sound will like it. The rest of the mids are slightly depressed until it rises and peaks at the 3ish kHz region, and then the treble after that tails off. There's no sibilance on this set, so it is a rather treble safe set. Vocals are forward in this set due to the peak at the upper mids, but on some shouty tracks, I did not find that the Tanya is fatiguing or shouty for me.

On to technicalities, soundstage is above average in all 3 directions, as per the open backed design. Probably some multi BA/hybrid sets at this price bracket will trump it in technicalities, but the Tanya's layering is very good for this price bracket, haven't heard this in a $20ish IEM before. Imaging and instrument separation are above average, I felt it can cope with busy passages of music when amped. However, details are not the best, as per the analoguish signature, so as discussed, it isn't a set for analytical listening, but just to chill and appreciate music.

Will do some burn in and A/B testing with other budget single DD sets like the BLON BL-03 and Final E3000. From initial listening, I think it sort of retains the timbre and analoguish feel of the BLON BL-03, but fixes the midbass bloat and poor fit of the BLON BL-03. Indeed, it may be cheaper than the BLON BL-03, as most folks need to run thru hoops to get aftermarket longer nozzles +/- cables to secure a better fit on the BLON BL-03.

TLDR:
Warm neutral set with good tonality and timbre. Lush sound signature. Needs amping to scale better. Good budget set to sit back and chill, not for analytical listening.
Very spot on.. I've bought the Tanya specifically for its easy drivability cuz I don't like using a dongle in phone but I was wrong.. It does need a little bit of power to shine..

May 22, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #56,697 of 102,628

Moondrop Aria vs BLON BL-05S​

Many have asked me for a comparison between the BLON BL-05S and Moondrop Aria 2, so I've decided to pit them against each other and see which one comes out at top.

In terms of build, the Aria 2 wins simply because of a more agreeable color, though I'm lately finding the BL-05S less of a turn-off. The stock accessories are also super-terrible on the BLON so Moondrop gets an easy win here. Comfort/isolation is also better on the Aria 2.

Now, let's get into the sound.

The BL-05S has more focus on clarity vs the Aria 2 with a more prominent upper-midrange presence. The bass suffers on the BL-05S as a result with the Aria 2 having a superior bass response. In fact, the improvement in bass alone warrants an upgrade to the Aria 2 if you're using BL-05S and need more "thump" in the lows. In the mids, I find the BL-05S to be better for female vocals and electric guitars. Treble also has more sparkle on the BL-05S though cymbals can sound a bit splashy at times on the BL-05S (which the Aria 2 avoids). Timbre is better on the Aria 2, so is soundstage width and height and the overall dynamics. Stage depth and imaging, however, is better on the BL-05S, so is the separation (surprisingly so).

It's quite ironic that the BL-05S, despite being half as costly, is besting the Aria 2 in a few technical aspects (mainly imaging and separation). However, I find the Aria 2 an easier listen with far superior comfort/isolation and of course: bass. I can also see many getting both these IEMs to cover all bases (Aria 2 when you need a more smooth listen, BL-05S for the metal/rock sessions).

IMG_8690.JPG
IMG_0037.jpg

May 22, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #56,699 of 102,628
A desperate appeal:

Can anyone provide me the following album in 16/44 or higher FLAC/WAV/APE file?

Kirsty MacColl: Desperate Characters (1981)

KirstyMacCollDesperateCharacter.jpg
I got it in FLAC, but you'll have to renounce your disdain for the IE300 in exchange for a trade LOL hahahaha

May 22, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #56,700 of 102,628
I g
^^^ Heh, a legit MH755 was like a sort of personal unicorn of mine a couple years ago. Never could land one.
i got one. rarely use it. Now they did improve when i bought a upgrade extension cable for it, but still, it's middle of the road Sony house sound, but not bad. just the opposite, it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back