The discovery thread!
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #55,996 of 102,372
So the BGVP NS9 arrived this morning. I've had a only few hours so they will need time to burn in/break in. These are purely first impressions. The cable is a nice silver and grey, 4 core Silver coated Copper cable. I got 2.5mm and am listening with a FiiO 4.4mm adapter, from my HiBy R5. The tips were too small for me, so I've put some Spiral Dot Large on. Good news, they sound well integrated and have an immediately noticeable trait. Quite a big 3D, wide, soundstage and imaging is excellent. Very clear and present bass, not boomy, and also not intrusive. Like it a lot. On 2Pac, Ambitionz As A Ridah, the bass thumps. All I Need, Radiohead....... Wild Horses, Rolling Stones........ Funky Kingston, Toots and the Maytals....... Cocteau (Binaural), Ottmar Liebert....... Ride On, Christy Moore...... Where do they Go, Tony Joe White, all sound naturally good. Very natural sound. Mids are full and very much in the correct position of the stage. Highs may be a little early in rolling off and maybe a little short on treble energy, though, don't know if that will change with burn in . Quickly tried all three filters, but too early to really hear differences, I've put the silver one on to maybe extend the treble a little. So going to be solely using these for a couple of weeks to do some burn in then I'll post some more impressions.

BGVP NS9

Small update on the BGVP NS9. Firstly I really like it a lot. Using it on my HiBy R5 it sounds fuller and better from the 4.4mm balanced than the 3.5 single ended. It likes juice and increasing the volume on the 4.4mm energises the sound. You can listen to this one with good volume without it sounding confused. With 4 crossovers (really well done), 7 × BA, and a double DD each side, the spacials are exceptional. Good soundstage...wide, good imaging placement, and good depth, height, sometimes holographic....depending on the music of course. For classical orchestral music I find the TRi Starsea (DD X 2 BA) (which I use for classical) has more treble energy but a much thinner sound in comparison to the authoritative sound of the NS9. On the HiBy R5 the NS9 accepts equalisation well from the inbuilt MSEB or Amazon HD equalisation, so the treble can be energised. Some may like a more immediate energetic treble. Bass is very interesting. It can dig very deep lows with a lot of impact and variation, but the mids are left very clean indeed and the NS9 excels in the mids. There is no glare or unusual peaks so I find these have a very non fatiguing but big sound. You are a couple of rows from the front of the auditorium and close enough to the speakers to feel the impact. At the moment I am very impressed at the sound, spacials and technology of these.
I bought the Gold and Black version from AliExpress. I ordered on the 3 April (Chinese Holiday) and they came yesterday morning 16th April. I paid £98.00 plus the Tax Ali charge for the UK. So now I've had some brain burn in and now to wait and maybe there will be some physical burn in. I'm very impressed so far. This is the first BGVP I've had. Not sure about an IEM with only BA's so I waited until a good DD was in there too. Now 2 DD's + 7 Ba's of which only one is maybe not Knowles or Sonion. Very authoritative sound.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #55,997 of 102,372
could you make a comparison vs RSV ?
thank you, 🙏

Sure thing... To my ears the EST 112 sounds 'bigger'. Presents a larger sense of space, more depth, and height, to the staging. RSV is close, but there is just more depth overall w/ the 112, like you can reach in and grab the instruments better (weird analogy, I know). Bass is a touch deeper on the 112, w/ that 13.5mm dynamic (possibly a slower decay though). Treble resolution is pretty close (RSV may take this one by a smidgeon). Midrange is more full and rich on the 112 as well. RSV may have a touch more clarity in the mids, but I prefer the weight to voices present in the 112. I guess the main takeaway is the RSV is perhaps a more analytical tool, and the 112 leans slightly more toward that musical side.

I like the EST 112 more personally. Both are scary good IEMs though for sure. Oh, and for tonality/ timbre, they are both simply outstanding.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #55,998 of 102,372
Love the SA6. I think it did pretty well for Dunu so I bet they might consider making a higher end version.

^^Yeah, I'm hoping we get a new flagship from DUNU soon....by end of '21 at least. Easy for me to say, admittedly, as I'm not a Luna owner, hahaha. Anyway, I said in January I was waiting until a new DUNU flagship before buying another IEM, and I wavered with a couple recent releases, but I think I'm back on solid ground as far as that goes. I've convinced myself I need to see what DUNU has cooking for the top of their lineup before buying again. I have been so impressed by them since coming back to the hobby almost a year ago.
I hope Dunu sets their sights on the 64 Audio u12t, and comes up with a flagship to compete with it as an all-rounder, versatile, technically accomplished all-BA IEM, for 1/2 the price, with much better accessories, and better looks.

I also hope ThieAudio designs a Voyager 5 or 8, all-BA IEM, that is tuned as well as the RSV, is just as technically accomplished, but has better soundstage and imaging.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #55,999 of 102,372
Now it's the turn of the Reecho SG-03 to be reviewed and the first thing I want to say is that it's great to find great sound in this price range again. It's true that their decreasing W profile, with a very powerful low end, might make you think that these are just another IEMS for bass heads, with nothing to contribute, but that's not the case. Of course, the great work of the low end should be highlighted (spectacular that this sells for 69$) because I find that it combines power and speed, punch and containment typical of superior models. The emphasised upper-midrange has great clarity and brings a high technical level to the sound, giving it a lot of precision, a commendable cleanliness and separation. I still think there's a BA hidden out there and they don't want to say so... Because the vocals are closer than the FR makes you think, as well as the details. Then, the high end is tuned to appease those high mids, but without losing brilliance, or descriptive power.

I've been enjoying this SG-03 for a few days now, and this good vocal House disc, with which you can enjoy all aspects of this new model: bass, vocals and details.

https://www.discogs.com/es/DJ-Spen-Soulful-Storm/release/17689903

2021-04-18_011317.jpg

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #56,000 of 102,372
Sure thing... To my ears the EST 112 sounds 'bigger'. Presents a larger sense of space, more depth, and height, to the staging. RSV is close, but there is just more depth overall w/ the 112, like you can reach in and grab the instruments better (weird analogy, I know). Bass is a touch deeper on the 112, w/ that 13.5mm dynamic (possibly a slower decay though). Treble resolution is pretty close (RSV may take this one by a smidgeon). Midrange is more full and rich on the 112 as well. RSV may have a touch more clarity in the mids, but I prefer the weight to voices present in the 112. I guess the main takeaway is the RSV is perhaps a more analytical tool, and the 112 leans slightly more toward that musical side.

I like the EST 112 more personally. Both are scary good IEMs though for sure. Oh, and for tonality/ timbre, they are both simply outstanding.
hmmm...
I'm really satisfied with the RSV stage,
can you do me a favor,
test both with these songs,

Plague Years - Evil Years
Bleed From Within - Into Nothing
Vitamin String Quartet - Mexico

Thank you, 🙏

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #56,004 of 102,372

If it's too good to be true, it probably is. This shop seems to be selling Senns and Shures too for a fraction of the price, and I've seen cheap "Campfires" being sold on other storefronts on Aliexpress too. Well if there's already so many fake Sony MH755s (which cost less than $10 USD for an original), I'm sure there's even bigger incentives to fake higher end summitFI gear! FWIW, this shop could even be using a BLON BL-03 driver and similar looking shell and just label it as a "Xelento" and since I've seen folks and reviewers claiming the BLON BL-03 are giant killers, so perhaps some might even think it sounds like a Xelento!

But I have to say, I've been to some local shops in China before and I've seen so called branded bags and watches, that look really similar to the originals, but selling at a fraction of the originals' price. It's possible their reverse engineering is superb, or maybe theft from the factory? In one of those local Chinese shops, I recall one of the shop owners telling me that those bags and watches are actually original B stock or have some defects, so they didn't pass QC and were actually marked for disposal. But some "entrepreneurial" workers smuggled them out of the factory, cut off the tags and then sold it at a fraction of the cost (without the usual packaging and warranty cards). So perhaps that is done here with these IEMs? Or maybe an OEM from the same factory?

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #56,005 of 102,372
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #56,006 of 102,372
I seen CA Solaris, Andromedas, Xelentos, IE800s. Dupes on the express is nothing new. I suppose copying something means you have arrived but at the same time I can see how this can lead toward some evil shenanigan's.

Just found this listing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ From a shop called ORIGINAL EARPHONES!

The UE case is a good touch. Makes it look somewhat official even though UE and CA are completely different manufacturers. Lol.

1618756162739.png
So as they say if it sounds too good to be true.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #56,007 of 102,372

Don't forget to mention that they aren't the real Beyerdynamic Xelentos. For example, they lack the Beyerdynamic logo. Because you make it sound like they are the real ones, by comparing them to the $400 ones, which are real. ( You thought they were real, but they aren't )
However the shops says that it's a perfect copy ( Sound wise )

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #56,008 of 102,372
Any got fake stuff bought on Amazon? US$41 for below Grado!
Screenshot_20210417-150617_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #56,009 of 102,372
Funny, I was just exactly looking at that on Ali right now. They are fakes obviously but if the pic is what you get, you can't count on identifying fakes because of Serial No vs Serial NO anymore.
The fakes don't have a logo, so it's pretty easy to identify them.
Just look at the real vs fake ones, or do a little research.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #56,010 of 102,372
I mean if they can copy the intricate cog wheels of a Rolex watch something like an earphone design is gonna be easy. Including the sound design. No way possible your gonna have a tesla dynamic in the knock off Xelento but I bet they can mimic the FR exactly using a cheapo 10mm standard dynamic to make it sound similar.

Factory rejects are also being sold on the express but you can't determine if it is a factory reject or an out right copy. I have a feeling them CA earphones are copies however. Them Atlas better be damn good if they are gonna charge $500 plus bucks for a dupe. Lol. Would be interesting to hear one of those actually just to see how good they copied the sound design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back