The discovery thread!
Apr 10, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #55,861 of 101,233
Can anyone suggest a good audio file downsamplng software? Free or cracked version - any will do. Setting up Foobar for downsampling is a bit lengthy, hence do not want to attempt that again. Had to visit numerous sites before it works properly. And do not want soundforge, somehow it felt like the output files have lesser quality, than Foobar converted ones. Can anyone suggest some alternative?
I generally use SoX, it's a command line tool but there are some GUI frontends for it to be found. R8Brain free is good also. Otherwise you can check the online comparison tool for other options. (All links below)

http://sox.sourceforge.net/
https://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/
https://src.infinitewave.ca/

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #55,863 of 101,233
Apr 10, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #55,865 of 101,233
Apr 10, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #55,866 of 101,233
Apr 10, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #55,867 of 101,233
So I just saw this review https://crinacle.com/2021/04/09/seeaudio-yume-review-one-trick-wonder/ and I THINK there's really nothing that hasn't been said before but 2 points that caught me off guard. Both related to the DD.
  • That he seems to run into the opposite problem of what he expects out of a bass boosted IEM. Namely that the Yume has enough subbass but leaves him wanting more midbass. So I guess good for EDM and whatever music uses pipe organ.
  • That despite being a DD, it has BA like tightness and authority (or lack of rather).

Which led me to looking this up.
1618050118958.png

So AFAIK, it's a general agreement that the IER-Z1R is considered basshead's endgame (ignoring limited edition IEMs).

Is the difference between them from about 40-200Hz what he's refering to?

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #55,868 of 101,233
Measurements:

It is curious to compare your graphs with mine. From the model we have in common (NS Audio NS3 Bass Enhanced Version), I see that your measurements don't have the resonance peak around 8kHz (which is very good), but I see a certain drop in the sub-bass area.

By the way, I read that you are expecting several models, among them a NS4, is it the NS Audio NS4? I haven't seen any information about them...
I still like both NS Audio models I have (NS3 and NS5 MkII, both Bass Enhanced) very much and they are references to compare in their price range. So I'd like to read some of your impressions about the two models.
So, any new model from NS Audio would be good news for me.

NS Audio NS3 Bass Enhanced Version.png

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #55,869 of 101,233
In a few days I should have the BGVP NS9. A double dynamic driver with titanium-plated silicone composite diaphragm and seven Knowles and Sonion BA's each side. I was trying to hold back from buying more IEMs, (I have way too many and can only listen to one at a time). I should get it next week and will give my initial impressions and then more over time. @cleg said it takes time to burn in, in his Youtube review. A very affordable IEM for the specs.

1618051129309.png

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #55,870 of 101,233
So I just saw this review https://crinacle.com/2021/04/09/seeaudio-yume-review-one-trick-wonder/ and I THINK there's really nothing that hasn't been said before but 2 points that caught me off guard. Both related to the DD.
  • That he seems to run into the opposite problem of what he expects out of a bass boosted IEM. Namely that the Yume has enough subbass but leaves him wanting more midbass. So I guess good for EDM and whatever music uses pipe organ.
  • That despite being a DD, it has BA like tightness and authority (or lack of rather).

1618050118958.png

So AFAIK, it's a general agreement that the IER-Z1R is considered basshead's endgame (ignoring limited edition IEMs).

I haven't tried the See Audio Yume, but I auditioned the Sony IER Z1R a few weeks back.

Z1R's Bass is superb, should please any basshead ............................................... IF you can get a good fit. The fit with stock accessories was worse than the BLON BL-03 for me, YMMV. The Z1R is also V shaped (sounded more V shaped than the above graph) so some elements in the mids are missing. I know even at summitFI pricing, there is no one set that is perfect for all music genres and sonic preferences, but midlovers will probably need to look elsewhere.

I see the Z1R is usually ranked in the top 10 of some audiophiles' best IEMs, and it's nice sounding, but I do think there are huge diminishing returns too as per most TOTL sets when compared to midfi sets.

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #55,871 of 101,233
Apr 10, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #55,872 of 101,233
I haven't tried the See Audio Yume, but I auditioned the Sony IER Z1R a few weeks back.

Z1R's Bass is superb, should please any basshead ............................................... IF you can get a good fit. The fit with stock accessories was worse than the BLON BL-03 for me, YMMV. The Z1R is also V shaped (sounded more V shaped than the above graph) so some elements in the mids are missing. I know even at summitFI pricing, there is no one set that is perfect for all music genres and sonic preferences, but midlovers will probably need to look elsewhere.

I see the Z1R is usually ranked in the top 10 of some audiophiles' best IEMs, and it's nice sounding, but I do think there are huge diminishing returns too as per most TOTL sets when compared to midfi sets.
Actually for all I know, no one has actually obtained a good fit out of the IER-Z1R, and possibly no one possibly ever will, since every single review I've ever seen of it mentions the atrocious fit, so I felt like mentioning it would count as Captain Obvious.

As for the way they graph? I think I'd prefer the Yume from 1kHz and over. Even the Yume probably has too much from 4kHz to about 8kHz (although how much of this is real is hard to tell due to resonance) for me.

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #55,873 of 101,233

the bass perceived quantity doesn't always align with how much db is the bass lifted,
but the mid and treble also affect it.
for example item A and B have the same bass quantity in a frequency graph,
but the item B could sound more bassy because it have less upper mid or lower treble energy.

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #55,874 of 101,233
I see the Z1R is usually ranked in the top 10 of some audiophiles' best IEMs, and it's nice sounding, but I do think there are huge diminishing returns too as per most
It is so tempting, at least for me, to get a "TOTL" whatever that means, which may vary from person to person, BUT, in addition to diminishing returns, I ask myself, how much time have I devoted to exploring the many IEMs I already have? Have I got the best out of them?

Like @dharmasteve, I am desperately trying to resist buying more IEMs to see how much time I will devote to rediscovery of the "draw-dwellers", as someone on head-fi so eloquently put it.

Do not hold me to that, I am sure I will relent at some stage, the question is how soon?

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #55,875 of 101,233
the bass perceived quantity doesn't always align with how much db is the bass lifted,
but the mid and treble also affect it.
for example item A and B have the same bass quantity in a frequency graph,
but the item B could sound more bassy because it have less upper mid or lower treble energy.
Considering that the mids and treble before the rolloff are tuned basically IEF neutral PERFECT on the Yume, seems extremely unlikely that they are the culprit. He seems to specifically draw issue(?) at the bass shelf dropping too fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back