The discovery thread!
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #55,786 of 101,152

Koss Porta Pro X vs Koss KPH30i​

Showdown!​

The Koss Porta Pro X is the Drop variant of the venerable Koss Porta Pro, and the Koss kph30i needs no introduction I guess.

This will be a quick comparison between the two. Both of them have been modded with Yaxi pads, by the by. So you can add $10-15 to the retail price of the stock headphones.

Build: Both of these have pretty shoddy build with thin, noodle-like cables. However, the KPH30i build is especially poor with plastic headbands and a design that can't withstand force at all. Porta Pro meanwhile can be folded and the design is more modular in comparison. The KPH30i is so flimsy that one can easily break it while trying to install the Yaxi pads. Caution advised.
Winner: Porta Pro

Comfort: Both are very comfortable headphones. However, the Porta Pro's headband design can catch your hairs and it can be a rather painful experience at times. For this alone, the KPH30i wins by a landslide on this front.
Winner: KPH30i

Sound: The reason why we're here. All sound impressions are with the Yaxi pads on.

They have a similar tone profile (a warm, rich presentation) but there are some important differences. The Porta Pro has a more visceral bass punch and the slam is stronger. The lower-mids on the KPH30i however are more lifted in comparison, while the upper-mids sound more prominent on the Porta Pros. As a result, the Porta Pro becomes more V-shaped sounding compared to the KPH30i which has a more even FR. Treble is about par on both I'd say.

However, one area where the Porta Pro trounces the KPH30i is the soundstage. The Porta Pro has a better, more rounded stage with more frontal vocal projection, whereas the KPH30i places the vocals a bit more inside your head. This is why I found the Porta Pro to be more enjoyable while gaming/watching movies. Imaging and separation are about par though the KPH30i has better center-imaging (though I won't call either to be very good at imaging).

Picking a winner is tough here, but I personally prefer the more fun tuning of the Porta Pro. The KPH30i sounds a bit flatter in comparison. If you prefer a more neutral presentation you might like the KPH30i more.
Winner: Draw

TL;DR: If you like a warm-neutral presentation get the KPH30i, if you prefer something more V-shaped, energetic, and fun: the Porta Pro is your friend. And of course grab the Yaxi pads while you're at it.

IMG_9857_1.jpg

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #55,787 of 101,152

Showdown!​

The Koss Porta Pro X is the Drop variant of the venerable Koss Porta Pro, and the Koss kph30i needs no introduction I guess.

This will be a quick comparison between the two. Both of them have been modded with Yaxi pads, by the by. So you can add $10-15 to the retail price of the stock headphones.

Build: Both of these have pretty shoddy build with thin, noodle-like cables. However, the KPH30i build is especially poor with plastic headbands and a design that can't withstand force at all. Porta Pro meanwhile can be folded and the design is more modular in comparison. The KPH30i is so flimsy that one can easily break it while trying to install the Yaxi pads. Caution advised.

Comfort: Both are very comfortable headphones. However, the Porta Pro's headband design can catch your hairs and it can be a rather painful experience at times. For this alone, the KPH30i wins by a landslide on this front.

Sound: The reason why we're here. All sound impressions are with the Yaxi pads on.

They have a similar tone profile (a warm, rich presentation) but there are some important differences. The Porta Pro has a more visceral bass punch and the slam is stronger. The lower-mids on the KPH30i however are more lifted in comparison, while the upper-mids sound more prominent on the Porta Pros. As a result, the Porta Pro becomes more V-shaped sounding compared to the KPH30i which has a more even FR. Treble is about par on both I'd say.

However, one area where the Porta Pro trounces the KPH30i is the soundstage. The Porta Pro has a better, more rounded stage with more frontal vocal projection, whereas the KPH30i places the vocals a bit more inside your head. This is why I found the Porta Pro to be more enjoyable while gaming/watching movies. Imaging and separation are about par though the KPH30i has better center-imaging (though I won't call either to be very good at imaging).

Picking a winner is tough here, but I personally prefer the more fun tuning of the Porta Pro. The KPH30i sounds a bit flatter in comparison. If you prefer a more neutral presentation you might like the KPH30i more.

TL;DR: If you like a warm-neutral presentation get the KPH30i, if you prefer something more V-shaped, energetic, and fun: the Porta Pro is your friend. And of course grab the Yaxi pads while you're at it.

IMG_9857_1.jpg
Haven't read on a retro review for the longest time. Nice job!

-Clear

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #55,788 of 101,152
Apr 5, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #55,791 of 101,152
Welcome to the VK4 gang 😂

How do you find it?
If it won't get ranked, I dun believe it cost mere US$8🤣. Ok, it's detail then KS1. Gotto burn in that DD now.

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #55,792 of 101,152
If it won't get ranked, I dun believe it cost mere US$8🤣. Ok, it's detail then KS1. Gotto burn in that DD now.
It's good to meet a fellow burn-in believer 🤣

One peculiarity with the VK4 shell is that there is no noticeable vent, considering that it's a DD. There is, however, a "hole" where the faceplate and "body" meet.

By the way, have you tried out it's DSD feature 😏 ?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #55,794 of 101,152
It's good to meet a fellow burn-in believer 🤣

One peculiarity with the VK4 shell is that there is no noticeable vent, considering that it's a DD. There is, however, a "hole" where the faceplate and "body" meet.

By the way, have you tried out it's DSD feature 😏 ?
Can you explain DSD feature? And why is the nozzle filter in black? I believe there's a vent, dunno where. Btw, you know wats that gold round thingy at the plate?

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #55,795 of 101,152
Can you explain DSD feature? And why is the nozzle filter in black? I believe there's a vent, dunno where. Btw, you know wats that gold round thingy at the plate?
DSD - Check the backside of the shell. You'll see the marking for "DSD" which is quite funny. Removed mine using some acetone.

Nozzle filter - mine's black as well. Removed it in the past but can't remember how it sounded. Very cheap feeling. I'd suggest if you have extra filters lying around, do change them. But I don't know how it'll affect the "well-praised" tonality. The "earbud foam filter" hack is a no-go because the nozzle's plastic and the eartip just slides off if placed with an earbud foam on the nozzle.

Gold screw thingy - I'm assuming it's to hold the faceplate and body together but it being just for looks is a huge possibility as well.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #55,796 of 101,152

Showdown!​

IMG_9857_1.jpg
I haven't posted yet but I just got a Creative SoundBlaster Jam V2 a few days back. I am gonna find my KPH30i and compare the two after giving the Creative a fair amount of run in. Odd I can't find them but I am more and more wireless hence the purchase. They sound excellent so far with some MSEB tweaks on my Hidiz but I should be able to compare even if wired vs. wireless cause SQ is SQ so why not. They are a nice deal anyhow at $39.99 as they have aptX/aptX LL/AptX HD, multipoint, up to 22 hours of battery, just slide in at under 100 grams, and come with a spare set of pads and a full length USB C cable instead of a shorty. The new design is more classy as well as they dropped the dot matrix spectrum analyzer look in favor of plain black.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #55,797 of 101,152
I haven't posted yet but I just got a Creative SoundBlaster Jam V2 a few days back. I am gonna find my KPH30i and compare the two after giving the Creative a fair amount of run in. Odd I can't find them but I am more and more wireless hence the purchase. They sound excellent so far with some MSEB tweaks on my Hidiz but I should be able to compare even if wired vs. wireless cause SQ is SQ so why not. They are a nice deal anyhow at $39.99 as they have aptX/aptX LL/AptX HD, multipoint, up to 22 hours of battery, just slide in at under 100 grams, and come with a spare set of pads and a full length USB C cable instead of a shorty. The new design is more classy as well as they dropped the dot matrix spectrum analyzer look in favor of plain black.
I did find the Koss this afternoon...
IMG_1619.JPGIMG_1617.JPG
Still want to burn them in but quick comparison finds them very close. Creative do have the bass enhance button so you kind of get two slightly different responses. Off it might be a smidge cleaner esp. in the mids vs. the Koss and On very close to the KPH signature and warmth. I would like them to have more hours and it was aptX vs. wired as the AP80 I was using doesn't have aptX HD. Right there though and softer more comfy pads on the Creative where the Koss doesn't cover as much of the ear and the pads are a bit scratchy in comparison. I would expect outside in the wind the Creative's bigger and thicker padding will be a better wind screen effect but I'll have to test. Point is I know I wouldn't use the Koss and deal with it's cable and the Koss wireless have 10 hours less battery 22 vs. 12 and they have no bass adjustment or HD codec and the Koss have been known for a couple of issues with BT range or batteries on the wireless model. You don't get the extra set of pads either...
IMG_1612.JPG
The plastics are similar with the KPH30i. As far as the KPH being an "i" version it is one button one mic while the Creative has the three button set up and two mics. Weight with the cable is too close to feel a difference *note I have removed the rubber inner headband from the Koss which adds to the size and weight. Neither fold but both are out of the way when worn around the neck. I don't see any reason not to grab a pair of these if you still want a pair of ultralights and also want to go wireless. Shame few even really make the small on-ear foam pad cans anymore like AKG and Senn used to as did Sony and none do for wireless except for Koss and Creative. I will throw in the Jlab Rewind is another and I have one but won't bother cause they are not going to be competitive except for having a solid BT connection but the controls and sound are not good enough.

Link... https://us.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/sound-blaster-jam-v2

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #55,798 of 101,152
I did find the Koss this afternoon...
IMG_1619.JPGIMG_1617.JPG
Still want to burn them in but quick comparison finds them very close. Creative do have the bass enhance button so you kind of get two slightly different responses. Off it might be a smidge cleaner esp. in the mids vs. the Koss and On very close to the KPH signature and warmth. I would like them to have more hours and it was aptX vs. wired as the AP80 I was using doesn't have aptX HD. Right there though and softer more comfy pads on the Creative where the Koss doesn't cover as much of the ear and the pads are a bit scratchy in comparison. I would expect outside in the wind the Creative's bigger and thicker padding will be a better wind screen effect but I'll have to test. Point is I know I wouldn't use the Koss and deal with it's cable and the Koss wireless have 10 hours less battery 22 vs. 12 and they have no bass adjustment or HD codec and the Koss have been know for a couple of issues with BT range or batteries on the wireless model. You don't get the extra set of pads either...
IMG_1612.JPG
The plastics are similar with the KPH30i. As far as the KPH being an "i" version it is one button one mic while the Creative has the three button set up and two mics. Weight with the cable is too close to feel a difference *note I have removed the rubber inner headband from the Koss which adds to the size and weight. Neither fold but both are out of the way when worn around the neck. I don't see any reason not to grab a pair of these if you still want a pair of ultralights and also want to go wireless. Shame few even really make the small on-ear foam pad cans anymore like AKG and Senn used to as did Sony and none do for wireless except for Koss and Creative. I will throw in the Jlab Rewind is another and I have one but won't bother cause they are not going to be competetive except for having a solid BT connection but the controls and sound are not good enough.
is the jam v2 foldable? i reckon than the subbass on this is similar to the Koss, for example the KSC75?

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #55,799 of 101,152
is the jam v2 foldable? i reckon than the subbass on this is similar to the Koss, for example the KSC75?
Not foldable but small enough you can wear them or they don't take up too much space in a bag. A pouch would have been nice but not gonna complain at the price. Spare pads are better for me than a pouch which I already have a few of.

Bass is indeed similar to Koss. After some more burn in I'll compare in some detail on the reach and quality and how the bass enhancement sounds in the end. I have had all of them...Porta pro, KSC35/75, SportaPro, and KPH30i though only the KPH atm.

Wow just actually watched the video on Creative and didn't realize they do more stuff esp. with the app. Duh, they work wired via USB C just tried on my PC so I can even compare wired to Koss and others.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #55,800 of 101,152
First XINHS batch took 5 weeks from ordering to get here. :joy:

20210406_165722.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002042493770.html

0.35 ohms.

Build quality as expected from XINHS cables, working chin-slider and is very soft. Not very thick though, despite having 8-cores. Cable B7.
Default silver cable rec.

20210406_170013.jpg

20210406_170023.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001786868630.html

0.17 ohms.

Essentially a somewhat different looking cable A3 that is a bit stiffer, glossier and has a working chin-slider. Cable A3 is still recommended over this one due to the higher cost for basically the same thing (unless you need a working chin-slider, which doesnt work on cable A3). This is cable A11.

20210406_165848.jpg

20210406_165903.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001843312645.html

0.19 ohms.

Build quality as expected from XINHS cables but non-working chin-slide. Very soft cable and is thinner than average due to only having 2-cores. Looks very unique due to the blue color. Cable A12. My favorite blue cable, probably be better if it was in 4 or 8 cores.

20210406_170149.jpg

20210406_170228.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001742192708.html

0.22 ohms

Build quality as expected from XINHS cables but non-working chin-slide. Very soft cable and is average in thickness. Cable A12. Not recommended due to high price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back