The discovery thread!
Feb 26, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #55,247 of 100,464
So after long listening stretches with most of my collection this week while I worked on comic book scripts, I have come to the decision that my favorite iem are the KZ DQ6. For technicality, clarity, treble extension, mids and bass speed, they just please my ears the most. Toss the amp on them, and they just kick butt in most ways. quibble...i wish they had just a tad wider soundstage and imaging, but again, that's a quibble. I enjoy them more than my Dita Truth (though these sound like a full sized can in an earphone), Mt300, XBA300, A7, Monster Trumpets, UE900s, etc etc. It's so hard to believe what KZ did with these triple dynamics. Finally they threw something at the wall and it legitimately stuck. firmly. strongly. technically.

Are they the most proficient? No. that goes to the TF10 and Dita. Are they more fun, musical, and pleasing to my ear? yes. yes they are.

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #55,248 of 100,464
So after long listening stretches with most of my collection this week while I worked on comic book scripts, I have come to the decision that my favorite iem are the KZ DQ6. For technicality, clarity, treble extension, mids and bass speed, they just please my ears the most. Toss the amp on them, and they just kick butt in most ways. quibble...i wish they had just a tad wider soundstage and imaging, but again, that's a quibble. I enjoy them more than my Dita Truth (though these sound like a full sized can in an earphone), Mt300, XBA300, A7, Monster Trumpets, UE900s, etc etc. It's so hard to believe what KZ did with these triple dynamics. Finally they threw something at the wall and it legitimately stuck. firmly. strongly. technically.

Are they the most proficient? No. that goes to the TF10 and Dita. Are they more fun, musical, and pleasing to my ear? yes. yes they are.

I am getting the KZ DQ6 next week. I will make a comparison to the Dunu DM-380 which is also a DD triple driver, 6mm, 5mm, 5mm. Really looking forwards to getting them.

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #55,249 of 100,464
Got my DQ6 a few weeks ago, but been too busy to listen much, or comment. My very initial listen could hear a bit of spike in 5-10 hz region. Not terrible, but my ears are sensitive. That fq area also gave me noticeable sibilance in several tracks, but it also imparts a detailed resolution to them. Bass is about perfect for me, tight but not bloaty into the mid bass like bl03. For $35, I think they are amazing. Best part is that they fit me perfectly right out of box. Probably the best fit I've had. Haven't even rolled any tips but still have the ones that came on them. Will try my spiral dots and azla to see if it tames that spike some, and really haven't burned them in enough either. I even like the cable, haven't swapped it out, love the right-angle connector and the wire doesn't tangle too bad. They don't seem to really need a lot of power, so haven't tried them balanced yet either (should I?)
The kz dq6 is quite good, for such a low price!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #55,250 of 100,464
Feb 27, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #55,252 of 100,464
Screenshot_20210227_054329_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

IMG_20210227_054506.jpg

Didn't see these before, but maybe it just me. By the looks of the graph, not my cup of tea, but maybe someone will be interested :)

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #55,253 of 100,464
This combination legitimately sounds better than my DAPs. I don't really know what the iphone 12 is using for audio processing, but combined with the Q1 II + the Fiio lightning connector that came with the amp, the stage is wider, the bass tighter, the imaging more 3D, and the instrument separation better than any of the DAPs I own. Too bad it's a darn phone.

Attachments

• IMG_5055.JPG
    IMG_5055.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #55,254 of 100,464
This combination legitimately sounds better than my DAPs. I don't really know what the iphone 12 is using for audio processing, but combined with the Q1 II + the Fiio lightning connector that came with the amp, the stage is wider, the bass tighter, the imaging more 3D, and the instrument separation better than any of the DAPs I own. Too bad it's a darn phone.
Well by the looks of it you IPhone 12 is using Q1 II for audio processing :)

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #55,255 of 100,464
Got my DQ6 a few weeks ago, but been too busy to listen much, or comment. My very initial listen could hear a bit of spike in 5-10 hz region. Not terrible, but my ears are sensitive. That fq area also gave me noticeable sibilance in several tracks, but it also imparts a detailed resolution to them. Bass is about perfect for me, tight but not bloaty into the mid bass like bl03. For $35, I think they are amazing. Best part is that they fit me perfectly right out of box. Probably the best fit I've had. Haven't even rolled any tips but still have the ones that came on them. Will try my spiral dots and azla to see if it tames that spike some, and really haven't burned them in enough either. I even like the cable, haven't swapped it out, love the right-angle connector and the wire doesn't tangle too bad. They don't seem to really need a lot of power, so haven't tried them balanced yet either (should I?)
The kz dq6 is quite good, for such a low price!
Well...got these on Amazon via the KZ Official Store - KZ DQ6 Earphone 3DD Bass HiFi Earbuds (Black, no mic) + KZ APTX HD CSR8675 Bluetooth 5.0 Set + Memory Foam earplugs (Free, Random Color) Upgrade Headset Set for $42.99

Just ordered a backup set (which I never do) this time with no BT5 cable but a regular cable w/Mic. Also from Amazon via the KZ Official Store -- Arrives on Tuesday 3/2 :) instead of 4/14 from KZ store on Aliexpress.

Sound (imo) is natural with a nice soundstage yet head boppin, foot tappin. These are 'Shuffle IEMs'...which, for me, is a high compliment!

It's a tough thing to do to provide me with enough detail across the spectrum without being annoying to my ears on poorly mastered music...and, at the same time, they're an engaging listen. Well done...especially for the price!

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #55,256 of 100,464
Well...got these on Amazon via the KZ Official Store - KZ DQ6 Earphone 3DD Bass HiFi Earbuds (Black, no mic) + KZ APTX HD CSR8675 Bluetooth 5.0 Set + Memory Foam earplugs (Free, Random Color) Upgrade Headset Set for $42.99

Just ordered a backup set (which I never do) this time with no BT5 cable but a regular cable w/Mic. Also from Amazon via the KZ Official Store -- Arrives on Tuesday 3/2 :) instead of 4/14 from KZ store on Aliexpress.

Sound (imo) is natural with a nice soundstage yet head boppin, foot tappin. These are 'Shuffle IEMs'...which, for me, is a high compliment!

It's a tough thing to do to provide me with enough detail across the spectrum without being annoying to my ears on poorly mastered music...and, at the same time, they're an engaging listen. Well done...especially for the price!
KZ with DQ6 really have set the bar high for themselves, probably accidentally :) This one sticked to the wall really good :)

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #55,257 of 100,464
KZ with DQ6 really have set the bar high for themselves, probably accidentally :) This one sticked to the wall really good :)
They probably did have some accidental success with the DQ6, but given the ZAX and the DQ6, I’m hopeful that we will see more of a trend. They do REALLY need to stop making so much junk, that dilutes their successes.

They also need to work with an expert tuner.

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #55,258 of 100,464

Yeah...this!!!

When I'm listening to music with the DQ6, and my head is bopping and my foot is tapping, my head is thinking, "these are $30?".

The only other time I got so much sound quality for so little is when I bought a used Grado SR60i for $25.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #55,259 of 100,464
Yeah...this!!!

When I'm listening to music with the DQ6, and my head is bopping and my foot is tapping, my head is thinking, "these are $30?".

The only other time I got so much sound quality for so little is when I bought a used Grado SR60i for $25.
SR60 :thumbsup:

Bought it years ago and still listen to it. I went into a local audio store, wanting to tip my toe in the waters of the Grado sound. I fully expected to leave with with the 325. Listened to the entire Prestige Series and liked the SR60 the best.

That demo experience kinda had a negative impact on me considering higher-end Grados down the road. I really like the SR60 depending on the music I'm listening to and the mood I'm in. But I didn't see the value in the higher priced Prestige Series cans at the time.

That said, I wish that store was still around as I wonder if there is a better version of the SR60 sound out there in Grado-land (Reference, Statement or Professional Series).

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #55,260 of 100,464
SR60 :thumbsup:

Bought it years ago and still listen to it. I went into a local audio store, wanting to tip my toe in the waters of the Grado sound. I fully expected to leave with with the 325. Listened to the entire Prestige Series and liked the SR60 the best.

That demo experience kinda had a negative impact on me considering higher-end Grados down the road. I really like the SR60 depending on the music I'm listening to and the mood I'm in. But I didn't see the value in the higher priced Prestige Series cans at the time.

That said, I wish that store was still around as I wonder if there is a better version of the SR60 sound out there in Grado-land (Reference, Statement or Professional Series).

I would suggest trying out the Hemp. The HF3 is also good (more SR60 like), but you would have to get it used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back