The discovery thread!
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #53,836 of 104,342
exquisite balancing from lowest bass notes to the highest treble notes. Has a slight vocal forwardness but the balancing is among the best I have ever heard on any earphone. They actually sounded a bit dull on open listen. I do that just to see where the sound goes after some run in. Opens up like a budding flower in spring. Sound expands in all directions giving excellent body, timbre, imaging very high level of technicalities and that vocal forwardness that not all earphones can pull off correct. Treble is excellent here too just the right amount of sparkle and extension.

Everything is detailed and I mean everything. The tuning is really excellent on them can't really fault too much on the design point of the sound tuning. The Zen gets about 90% of the Lunas ability but has its own character. Sounds absolutely superb after some run in.
But is it as bright as the NM2+? That could be a problem for some.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #53,837 of 104,342
Not bright just detailed. Its has more bass presence which again balances out the sound tuning. Tonal balancing is much higher end on the Zens. FD5 can get bright. Not so much the Zen. Zen is a very fine product. The pricing I feel is excellent for what your getting considering the high level of sonics your getting. These can easily pass for other mantufacturers flagship.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #53,838 of 104,342
The difference in the Zen vs the FD5 I feel both have very capable tech and design but that fine line of showing the skill of fine tuning a product shows on the Zen. Unlike the cable matching for FD5 the Zens cable matches up extremely well with the Zen again has to do with the overall sound tuning and design.

Tuning in the end is actually more important vs the high level of tech your using. I mean what good is the tech if you have to resort to modding and using warm copper cables and nozzle filtering. Lol.

Don't get me wrong. I like the FD5 quite a bit. Was listening to them last night. Fiio is so close to pulling off something really special. They are still very much worth getting and sound wonderful but your gonna have to do some work to figure them out. FD5 is a much more complicated experience. Technically hangs with any earphone in the market. But with the added caviate that you have to do some work to get them correct. A warm source, proper copper cable and proper tips on my end.

Zen on the other hand you are clearly getting what your paying for in everything out of the box. There is no way I would touch what they done to the tuning on them. Sounds fantastic even on my lowly Fiio X1 dap I use to burn them in.

Zen isnt exactly double the sound vs the costs but there is a reason why these products cost level are as such. I can argue that the FD5 is actually a better value but for a lot of folks they won't realize that value because of the extra stuff you gotta do to figure them out.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #53,839 of 104,342
So exciting to read more incredibly positive thoughts @Dsnuts - mine just leaving Linsoul today, can't wait for them to arrive.

Screenshot_20210111-085618_Gmail.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #53,840 of 104,342
For folks that always wanted a very high level dynamic earphone. They aren't cheap but your gonna get that with the Zen. It is going to do very well for Dunu. Considering their Luna cost more than double the price. Zens are very capable flagship level dynamic earphones in comparison to their Luna. It is actually an outstanding value.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #53,842 of 104,342
1610391503683.png

Luna is more organic sounding in nature has a bit more warmth to the mid bands but Zen comes really close to the technical ability of the Luna at less than half the cost. This graph looks exaclty like how I am hearing them. slight upper mid forwardness, very exellent imaging and detailed from top to bottom. Bass is tight punchy and digs deep. Staging being semi open is excellent on the Zen as well. Folks that own the NM2+ should be familiar with this tuning curve. These would be the upgrade.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #53,844 of 104,342
You try using a copper cable on the NM2+? If not you should have.

Zen tonlaity it clean but dont really reach bright. I doubt you will see anyone post that they are bright.

NM2+ with stock cable on the NM2+ is brighter in tone the difference between the two earphones is that how the lower treble shelf is a bit more peakier on the NM2+ vs being lowered in emphasis in comparison to the Zens. Fine tuning there is what I call it. That makes a difference in tone. Upper mids arent as elevated on the Zens either so again these little tweaks favor the Zen for a more natural tone.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #53,847 of 104,342
First sets of reviews should start rolling out soon. I just got my set so I am getting to know them. They do have supreme clarity and has the detail you would expect on that level. They are very dimensional sounding too which is a hallmark of DUNU higher end sound.

Good old dynamics are not dead folks not by a long shot. Earphones like the Zen and and FD5 are steps forward in our hobby. I can only imagine the off shoots for these earphones in newer hybrids and tribrids.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #53,849 of 104,342
Jan 11, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #53,850 of 104,342
Kinda disappointed to see mmcx instead of 2-pin
Yep. MMCX should be deprecated by now. 2-pin is more widely used now and with good reason. MMCX is just asking to be broken within the IEM and not at the cable, so you need to buy new headphones instead of just a cable.

I won't buy any MMCX headphones at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back