The discovery thread!
Jan 5, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #53,716 of 103,128

Still seems to be Magnetostat hybrid or combo driver. Perhaps better since they need not be the exactly they same and can be paired with different dynamics and vented differently....
1609880610118.png

Not that it isn't good cause that is all that really matters but it is EST like they called the Tape "electrostat driver powered". Chi-Fi marketing calls quite a few things something when they are not really quite that.

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #53,717 of 103,128
the mmcx connector is a screw on, so failure is highly unlikely. there is no swivel or give. I've had no isses with the connector, nor have i heard anyone who has the MT300 have this issue. The stock cable is mighty fine and so i'm not about locking and unlocking it, though if i want to play them via balanced, then i'll have to do that, but they sound great right out of my phone, and even more stellar using my amp with the phone (the Q1 mkII comes with a lightning connector to attach the amp to an iphone directly). Though I gave the A7 some run time yesterday, and they sounded amazing, the MT300 is still my favorite current iem.

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #53,719 of 103,128
It's good to hear that folks like their MT300 and a surprisingly good product from SFR. I am curious what they do next at this level and I glad I got them for a great price before in 11/11 and before the new VAT addition.

They did some good with the extreme budget hybrid 4in1 and 6in1. At the time, some even mentioned the 4in1 being their endgame (true! it's on head-fi! lol). The issue I had with them was QC. Terrible QC and all of their products died prematurely on me. So i'm glad to see they upped their game both in sonics and QC. The MT300 are tanks!

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #53,720 of 103,128
595E7B79-95F3-4331-8DE2-3562029736C0.jpeg
2CB4A56B-F756-4312-880C-AEED5A483AEB.jpeg
ABD8CFCF-7BFD-4C37-A8F6-7DD74AD102F2.jpeg
695759F8-C5D6-46CA-AF89-84D32077FEA2.jpeg
3FE7A575-F382-494F-B0ED-1BF90A16226A.jpeg
0CD0B784-CB75-442F-A43F-CFAE94C5A49A.jpeg
DA3DE2BD-BFBE-4773-93F9-5371BB33272B.jpeg
9E95D448-742D-4E9A-8FB6-A08374454EB8.jpeg
E39FFEAA-75A8-4924-860F-CF7EC6D7B0B7.jpeg

Ok guys DT100 just arrived and my mind is totally blown by this. A Look, fit, build, isolation, sound quality all exceeding my expectations right now. This is a single BA driver and holy cow its bass response is pure insanity. Sound is obviously coherent and very very smooth overall with a hint of warmth. Only thing I can nit pick right now is average sized staging. Just got this and more impression will be written on Audiosense thread.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #53,721 of 103,128
BA's typically aren't the widest stage to begin with, but if you're getting Final Audio Design type bass response from a single BA, then this is probably a winner. btw, those look gorgeous.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #53,722 of 103,128
Question for the class.

There are SO MANY new IEMs cropping up all the time, even just on AliExpress. How do y'all pick what to try? Like i just ran into something called the Fengru 7Hertz which has professional marketing, nice photos, the whole bit. No reviews of any kind, at least from western Google. What makes y'all say "tell you hwat, I'm gonna try those there earphones" and send Fengru $100, vs some other equally mysterious new IEM?

Or is this primarily driven by shilling and/or aggressive sponsors hunting people down and bribing them with free stuff in exchange for hype?

I'm fully aware spending $1000+ a month on IEMs just for the heck of it is not a problem for quite a few people, and i could certainly buy a few unknown mid-fi sets a year, but... I don't, mostly because i have nothing to go on and guess if something is likely to be good vs a dud.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #53,723 of 103,128
Question for the class.

There are SO MANY new IEMs cropping up all the time, even just on AliExpress. How do y'all pick what to try? Like i just ran into something called the Fengru 7Hertz which has professional marketing, nice photos, the whole bit. No reviews of any kind, at least from western Google. What makes y'all say "tell you hwat, I'm gonna try those there earphones" and send Fengru $100, vs some other equally mysterious new IEM?

Or is this primarily driven by shilling and/or aggressive sponsors hunting people down and bribing them with free stuff in exchange for hype?

I'm fully aware spending $1000+ a month on IEMs just for the heck of it is not a problem for quite a few people, and i could certainly buy a few unknown mid-fi sets a year, but... I don't, mostly because i have nothing to go on and guess if something is likely to be good vs a dud.

It's usually starts with the freebees thrown to the various influencers, and they either say it's cool or it's not. Then there's the budget segment, where you can just take a flier on something, like my flier on the KZ DQ6, or my recently received CCA CST or SFR MT300. With the more expensive gear, it's usually reviewers/influencers/audiophile spenders and that trickles down to the people who say no, say yes, or wait for something to go on sale used in the classifieds or ebay. IMHO.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #53,725 of 103,128
Question for the class.

That's a tough question. Imho, I wouldn't risk such amount as we already have good candidates. I usually put it in my wishlist and wait for the new reviews if it's shown more order numbers than reviews it received. Because that might mean those will leave their review later. I'd also check it out on the other stores in case there's one that sold more and got more feedbacks.

However, the problematic part is that most of the feedback is just useless. I don't understand why people don't give descriptive feedbacks. Usually I see only the stars or some short sentences like 'it sounds amazing'. Okay it sounds amazing to you but that's very subjective. I need details! I need comparisons...

It's a matter of luck and totally depends on your budget. I remember with Heart Mirror I pulled the trigger because it cost me around 40$ so I wasn't gonna be hurt if it's bad. It occurred to be great purchase. But I was asking questions to the seller, asking for its character and for some more piece of details. I do my best to collect all of the information and then I risk it. I did a fewer times and all of them turned out to be great decisions.

However, if 100$ budget level is not sth that you always pay with no hesitation, then I'd play very secure here and go for the ones which are already recommended, reviewed here. I'd also wait for the discounts (unless you have good convincing talents and make the seller give a deal for you because I've done that many times). Is it worth to rush? Did you observe enough information about it to risk? Will you really like? In case you don't, will you be able to sell it or return it easily? Questions questions... It's all about asking good questions. Good luck. 😊

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #53,726 of 103,128
Question for the class.

isnt betting game is the classic fun?

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #53,727 of 103,128
TOTL sound in a $30 package?

Let’s be honest. I bought QCY T10 on a wimp, based solely on the FR graph that matches my preference to a tee. What I’m looking for is Harman-ish sound with less energy around 3kHz and more even treble after that.

And boy does this pair deliver! Excellent bass with lots of texture, excellent mid with a touch of warm and gobs of details, excellent treble with more extension than everything under $100 that I have auditioned.

Vs my Samsung Galaxy Buds+, because they share similar tunings:
  • T10 has comparable bass with slightly less subbass, slightly more midbass and slightly more bass texture. Less rumble though
  • Mid on T10 sounds more natural, more detailed and easy on the ears. Buds+ sounds a bit shouty and in-my-face.
  • Treble on T10 is leagues above, with more extension, more information and absolutely no sibilance. Cymbals sound sublime here. In contrast, Buds+ treble is cut short.
  • Soundstage: T10 is much wider and out of my head, Buds+ is closed in. That helps a lot with imaging, as I can actually feel the placement of sound with T10.
  • Separation: T10 is better also, each line of sound is distinguishable. Can’t say the same with Buds+
  • Fit and noise reduction: T10 with original tips leaks, but playing around with tips and I can get much better noise reduction and fit than Buds+, which swivels a lot.
  • In fact, the only area that Buds+ wins over T10 is battery life. T10 barely makes 4 hours for one single charge, Buds+ is nearly triple that. But of course the case gives more hours.
This is the best TWS that I have listened to, and it handily beats many pairs. Tried two Sony offerings (WF-1000XM3 and WF-XB700), no they sound inferior, XB-700 is muddier, and 1000XM3 is less natural. And I won’t go into comparing T10 with wired IEMs, but the sub-$100 Chi-fi offerings bow before T10.

Still, my LZ A6 is technically superior, and my LZ A7 sounds more lifelike. LZ A7 is the only pair that makes me realize T10 has a double BA setting.

Two BAs for a sound this good? I struggle to believe it, but we have a win here.

134660062_10216911477481623_6202456542742984157_o.jpg
136504762_10216911477161615_1052845422622205195_n.jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #53,728 of 103,128
Question for the class.

I go by weighing the aggregate of impressions on this site, by seeking opinions from trusted commentators who aren't in this hobby to be a hypetrain YouTube personality, and by primarily buying from brands that have an established track record of quality products. There are lots of crap on AliExpress after all, and money's too short to learn by experience alone.

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #53,729 of 103,128
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #53,730 of 103,128
I'd also check it out on the other stores in case there's one that sold more and got more feedbacks. However, the problematic part is that most of the feedback is just useless. I don't understand why people don't give descriptive feedbacks. Usually I see only the stars or some short sentences like 'it sounds amazing'. Okay it sounds amazing to you but that's very subjective. I need details! I need comparisons...

If you are referring to AliExpress reviews, I've personally always been confused what kind of reviews they are. Sites like Amazon have separate "Seller Feedback" and "Product Reviews" (I've seen people get confused by this and provide seller feedback in a product review on Amazon, which is no end of annoying). eBay also separates the two. Since not all AliExpress stores make the products they sell, it's never been clear to me whether the experience feedback there is for the buying experience (how well it was packed, whether it matched the description, shipping time, etc.) or for the actual product, so my AliExpress feedback has leaned more toward the buying experience with a brief mention of what I think of the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back