The discovery thread!
Oct 31, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #51,346 of 101,096
My only slight complaint with the Tape is the (very minimal to my ears) under-emphasis of the lower mids/some voices, I do generally like the clarity of the mids though despite this, and although I have tried reducing the 3.5 peak I have to admit I hardly notice it at all (perhaps some minor hearing deficiency as I'm mid 50's and have some tinnitus, my hearing does measure OK for my age though) and have settled on some very very minimal damping added inside the nozzles of the Tape.
Thanks for the comparison graphs there, they look very promising for me.
Are you (or anyone else) able to make any other comments on how the overall sound of the A7 compares to the Tape (or EDP)?

Re' the fire, that's horrendous.
I worked at a place where we lost 50% of our property due to a fire, and the impact on people, business and customers was horrible, I truly feel for AKM and all their customers who rely on their chips to make the devices we enjoy.
There's no good time to endure a disaster like this, but right now seems like the absolute worst timing possible.
I use the tape with eq:

low-shelf: 45hz, Q:0.8, Gain 1.5db
peak eq: 120hz, Q:2.2, Gain -3.0db
peak eq: 1350hz, Q: 1.5, Gain 2.0db
peak eq: 3500hz, Q: 2.3, Gain: -4.5db
peak eq: 6000hz, Q: 2.9, Gain: -2.0db
peak eq: 8000hz, Q:3.0, Gain: -1.0db
high-shelf: 10 000hz, Q:1.1, gain: 2.0db
preamp: -2.0db

Tonality is actually quite similar with that preset on the tape vs the A7. But quality across the entire range is a few levels over the tape on the A7 and also the technicalities. The only thing I would say the Tape can compete in is the details, (especially the micro details) tons and tons of details on both of them. The tape doesnt need that giant 3.5k peak to sound detailed, that driver itself is fully capable of that. Although if you want a natural sound the A7 is the one that sounds more natural. The Tape has a unique sound to it, that I really like.

That is why I have extremely high hopes for the tape pro, because if they can fix the tuning (that I fix with EQ) and increase the SQ. It will probably be able to compete with the A7 in terms of pure SQ/technicalities, and I hope it keeps that same unique sound as the original tape has.

EDIT: Oh yeah the A7 definitely does not have that recessed mids that is on the tape. (even after my EQ evened out the balanced between the male/female vocals, so the contrast isnt as big as before)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #51,347 of 101,096
Reecho Insects Awaken = (4 knowles BA) = sale 300 usd (MSRP 330)

That name is going to give me nightmares. Wonder if it can compete with stuff like the Tansio Mirai TSMR-4 Pro and the BGVP DM8 (upcoming).
If it follows the normal previous Reecho it will look better than it sounds. Sound will be okay but not gonna be anything special. Unless they "awaken" on the SQ front there will be better options. For sure a wait and see model.

Insects Awaken! That has to be the best IEM name to date.

Of course there's probably enough parts in the distribution system to keep some existing products running for quite a while...hmmm.... what to do?

One of the articles mentioned that there were already huge markups on some parts as people started stockpiling and distributors were running out of inventory. Hopefully actual manufacturers & DIYers got that stuff and not a bunch of scalpers.

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #51,348 of 101,096
@RikudouGoku Don't worry, the Z5 is close to perfect basshead iem. It's got strong bass presence, lush mids, smooth highs with no sibilance, and excellent instrument separation and very wide stage. So they are no slouch, it's just that the A7 is special. I mean, it's plays TOTL. I'm not exaggerating and anyone who owns a TOTL earphone will back this up. They are tuned special, and are the first iem of any style or driver combination that rival the JVC woodies in natural timbre. The timbre and the highs are so natural and accurate, it's the first time JVC wood dome has been rivaled. The soundstage envelops you! But that said, you will be happy with your purchase of the Z5. I am so much, i invested in a new upgrade balanced cable, though i already have one. The Z5 is an excellent listen with a lot of lushness and that Sony house sound, just not quite at A7 performance level.

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #51,349 of 101,096
@RikudouGoku Don't worry, the Z5 is close to perfect basshead iem. It's got strong bass presence, lush mids, smooth highs with no sibilance, and excellent instrument separation and very wide stage. So they are no slouch, it's just that the A7 is special. I mean, it's plays TOTL. I'm not exaggerating and anyone who owns a TOTL earphone will back this up. They are tuned special, and are the first iem of any style or driver combination that rival the JVC woodies in natural timbre. The timbre and the highs are so natural and accurate, it's the first time JVC wood dome has been rivaled. The soundstage envelops you! But that said, you will be happy with your purchase of the Z5. I am so much, i invested in a new upgrade balanced cable, though i already have one. The Z5 is an excellent listen with a lot of lushness and that Sony house sound, just not quite at A7 performance level.
Just as I expected then. Sounds good.

Depending on how much I like the Z5, I might go for the XBA-N3 next lol. :joy:

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #51,350 of 101,096
The A7 is boss. love the timbre and resolution. Imaging is also superb. I think imaging is sometimes under-emphasized in reviews, but the imaging is so precise and plays so well with the wide and tall stage. Enveloping sound.

EDIT : Tip rolling uncovered that the JVC Spiral Dots play best with the A7. Maybe it's because the timbre is so similar to the JVC's, with similar characteristics? Regardless, there is perfect synergy there.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #51,351 of 101,096
The goodness of the LZ A7 had me thinking that the NiceHCK NX7 had such potential. With very similar driver count and type, the NX7 has some really nice qualities, but lacks the tonality and fine tuned highs of the A7, and the stage is much narrower and not as enveloping. I think bass quality and instrument separation/clarity/detail retrieval play very close to one another, but the quality of the mids, highs (not as natural and precise on NX7), imaging and soundstage are victories for the A7, but had HCK improved those areas and taken just a few moments to tune it more to the A7's characteristics, it would be a massive winner at less than half the cost of the A7. Potential not realized.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #51,352 of 101,096
When is the Shouer Tape Pro supposed to go on sale and be available?

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #51,353 of 101,096
^You have a problem my friend. Somebody grab his wallet!

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #51,355 of 101,096
^You have a problem my friend. Somebody grab his wallet!

Well, i sell to add, but i got a refund on the AKG N40 i ordered, so i do have some money to throw at the Tape Pro if they become available lol but yeah, my wallet needs protection, but that's what the wife is for LOL

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #51,356 of 101,096
the black filter with the switch on MONITOR is the best settings for my ears on the A7. That's the one that gives me the most joy and the closest to my preferred ss. The others either jacked the treble too much or added to much bass, and the red one made the sounds close to identical to the Mofasest Trio, which meant it took too much edge from the highs. it did add some thickness, and slightly more bass, but that's not the sound i'm looking for. If i wanted that sound, I'd put the Z5 in my ears or kept the Trio.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #51,357 of 101,096
@RikudouGoku My suggestion would be if you don't have an MMCX balanced cable, then buy one for the Z5. I ordered a nice upgrade balanced cable, and they sound so much better out of my R5. I had a cheapo balanced cable that came with the Z5, but it wasn't the best sonically, but with this one, it really woke up the sleepy treble, and helped to tighten up the low end. Very enjoyable listen now.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #51,358 of 101,096
Any Focus Vocal user here?

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #51,359 of 101,096
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #51,360 of 101,096

Users who are viewing this thread

Back