The discovery thread!
Sep 24, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #50,341 of 103,381
I always appreciate when reviewers state right off the bat that they bought the item with their own money or received a freebee.
Comparison to other earphones/headphone's within their collection is also always appreciated.
For that matter, I appreciate almost all the reviewers, as even if they are trying to hype an earphone, one can read between the lines and see if it is a good match or not for one's tastes.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #50,342 of 103,381
Different strokes for different folks. A seasoned audiophile will care for the entire setup (music files, cable and IEM) and know the importance of synergy. The level of a seasoned audiophile depends on how far one will go to achieve the best sound like caring for the type of jack (Rhodium or Gold plated) on your cable.

So what happens to that gold or rhodium connector the second the signal goes through the voice coil, or basically ANY component (resistor, capacitor) that isn't the jack or plug on the cable?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #50,343 of 103,381
That, my friend, is an over generalization regarding the rhodium statement. ✌
Not so much if to consider how much "rhodium" is superficial here and just "a name game" of those "seasoned audiophiles", as they are now called...

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #50,344 of 103,381
Not so much if to consider how much "rhodium" is superficial here and just "a name game" of those "seasoned audiophiles", as they are now called...

let’s agree to disagree since I like rhodium connectors, especially the ones from Furutech. ✌️

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #50,345 of 103,381
So what happens to that gold or rhodium connector the second the signal goes through the voice coil, or basically ANY component (resistor, capacitor) that isn't the jack or plug on the cable?

All of the passive components are inside the device therefore protected from oxidation. A connector is not so protected. Rhodium is viewed highly because of its non-oxidative nature compared to gold, silver, and other metals. When the metal surface of a connector oxidizes, there is increased resistance with the signal flow.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #50,346 of 103,381
I think there is a ton of sarcasm mixed in with genuine sentiments over the past several posts. Lines are blurred.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #50,347 of 103,381
I think there is a ton of sarcasm mixed in with genuine sentiments over the past several posts. Lines are blurred.

Perhaps, I certainly am susceptible to misunderstanding.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #50,348 of 103,381
All of the passive components are inside the device therefore protected from oxidation. A connector is not so protected. Rhodium is viewed highly because of its non-oxidative nature compared to gold, silver, and other metals. When the metal surface of a connector oxidizes, there is increased resistance with the signal flow.
Gold does not oxidize at all (that is the fact)

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #50,349 of 103,381
Gold can lose 'electrons' for sure so it can be oxidized; otherwise gold oxide would not exist!!
Altho, gold and oxygen do not react directly. You need to dissolve gold in 'aqua regia' first, then increase the pH so gold hydroxide/oxide 'precipitates'. After drying you get to gold oxide! But it will try to get those missing electrons back from any other element it gets in contact with. If you heat up gold oxide to 160 °C gold will oxidize the oxygen…

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #50,350 of 103,381
Gold does not oxidize at all (that is the fact)

You’re correct if the plating is 24k, pure gold. I don’t think other than high end makers use pure gold, but perhaps you can educate me on this.

I should have said in my original post that this applies to all the noble metals, that they don’t corrode or oxidize if they are pure, not an alloy.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #50,351 of 103,381
Gold can lose 'electrons' for sure so it can be oxidized; otherwise gold oxide would not exist!!
Altho, gold and oxygen do not react directly. You need to dissolve gold in 'aqua regia' first, then increase the pH so gold hydroxide/oxide 'precipitates'. After drying you get to gold oxide! But it will try to get those missing electrons back from any other element it gets in contact with. If you heat up gold oxide to 160 °C gold will oxidize the oxygen…
OK. Pure gold does not oxidize at all, as far as the reasonable use of electrical parts is concerned, definitely not more so than rhodium ( gold oxide formation is least favorable of all noble metals).
The point again is about "the name game" of "seasoned audiophiles".

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #50,352 of 103,381
OK. Pure gold does not oxidize at all, as far as the reasonable use of electrical parts is concerned, definitely not more so than rhodium ( gold oxide formation is least favorable of all noble metals).
The point again is about "the name game" of "seasoned audiophiles".

I get the sense that “seasoned audiophile“ is a pejorative in these parts, but I may have taken this too seriously since I would definitely classify myself as a serious audiophile with decades of experience, professionally and personally. Enough said, let’s move on to finding the next gold nugget of an iem. 😁

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #50,353 of 103,381
You’re correct if the plating is 24k, pure gold. I don’t think other than high end makers use pure gold, but perhaps you can educate me on this.

I should have said in my original post that this applies to all the noble metals, that they don’t corrode or oxidize if they are pure, not an alloy.
Not to distract from the thread, the main story is in mechanical rather than chemical properties.
Do you use rhodium-rhodium everywhere, including DAPs, etc?
If yes - it is definitely better for the reliability at least.
But then any rhodium-gold would be worse.

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #50,354 of 103,381
No, I don’t use rhodium with everything, in fact, my Kimber speaker cables with its locking bananas from WBT are the only rhodium connectors I have. But as mentioned, I love the build on Furutech products, and when I do order a connector for a cable as I have in the past, I go there first and buy its rhodium product knowing they will last a lifetime, or my lifetime anyway. 🤣

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #50,355 of 103,381
i choose jacks/connectors based on their looks, size, and grippy-ness. as long as it doesn't crackle, it's fine.

i guess that's why i don't quite like to be called an audiophile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back