The discovery thread!
Sep 7, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #49,786 of 106,583
I do have a story that you can appreciate. Back 10-15 years ago when copper and aluminum prices were through the roof, it was common for thieves to steal anything that could be quickly sold to the scrap yards - air conditioner coils, aluminum road signs, aluminum ramps on the back of straight trucks, aluminum lamp posts, etc.

Well, the place where I had my cryo work done had the huge liquid nitrogen holding tanks in the back. And they had all sorts of aluminum pipes and big heat sink looking cooling fins (like you would see on a computer CPU except the size of a refrigerator).

I guess the temptation of all that aluminum was too much for a poor unsuspecting thief, and when he used his sawzall tool to cut through the liquid nitrogen lines to try and steal the big heat sink fin blocks, he obviously had a liquid nitrogen bath.

They found what was left of him the next morning when they went into work.
I can believe it and it is not a good way to go! I've had a customer who kept running out over the weekends and finally determined that his employees were stealing liquid nitrogen (LIN) to freeze their catch when fishing. That, and the nitrous would always go missing when the Grateful Dead came to town. Fun times!

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #49,787 of 106,583
I guess the temptation of all that aluminum was too much for a poor unsuspecting thief, and when he used his sawzall tool to cut through the liquid nitrogen lines to try and steal the big heat sink fin blocks, he obviously had a liquid nitrogen bath.

They found what was left of him the next morning when they went into work.
[/QUOTE]

Ouuucch!!!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #49,788 of 106,583
not a pretty find first thing in the morning.

370B44EE-DAEC-4CCD-A2E7-DCCAABB33769.jpeg

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #49,789 of 106,583
Thanks for the detailed and honest analysis of the performance of so many IEMs. I throw in my half penny's worth using the tracks you posted - I like 👍those tracks, looking at different IEMs in comparison with TRI Starlights (not done at night and certainly not with your owl ears).

TRI Starlights - 10mm DD requires a bit of power to shine and they do deliver controlled mid-bass and rich sub-bass. Like you, my view is that the Starlights bass don't kick as well as two of the others, I3 and EDPs but much better quality bass than the ISN H40. Overall the Starlights strength is in the other frequencies, detail retrieval and sound stage, so like you I don't have buyer's remorse, just love them especially for my music taste.

TRI I3 - these are awesome 👌. The DD on the I3s is the best of the bunch to my ears. The bass is fast and controlled but above all the viseral sub-bass is just delightful! Planar mids just lush and soothing. They just deliver on all frequencies calmly, with no drama. On both tracks these are the best bass of the bunch to my ears.

ISN H40 - the bass on the H40s, to my ears, is just out of control, too much, too loud, too forward and raw, so the effect is that the bass takes over. There is no obvious sub-bass feeling to my ears, so that it all sounds too much.

IMR EDPs - it is a pity that the Rahs don't fit well for you, I would have liked to hear your take on them. The EDPs do a very good job. The bass here is only just short of the TRI I3. I believe that the sub-bass element gives the sense of well measured weight to both the I3 and the EDPs.

Overall, taking all frequencies into account, the Starlights are just wonderful, but for someone looking for deep, solid and viseral bass, the TRI i3s take it. Value for money the TRI I3s take it. Maybe I will try them all on a fixed (as opposed to portable) amplifier in the future.

I don't have the IEMs you have so this comparison is by no means, like-with-like. Your comparison makes the Orbs, the Fiio FH7 and FD1....and....tempting. I want them all now....this hobby is killing my wallet!
Thanks a lot, for a praise I didn't deserve, and more for this comparison. First, I need to clarify that I didn't hear Tri Starlight. It was my thoroughly researched 1st choice before I found out about Rose Miracle, and couldn't resist to try BA-free DD-EST Hybrid instead. My recommendation of Starlight over Miracle was based not on my personal experience, but trusted Head-fiers impressions of Tri Starlight.
______The way you describe Starlight bass sounds similar to Mofasest Trio bass. Graphs look similar, with slightly more bass & treble on the Starlight. I thought of it as obvious alternative to Rose Miracle for fast busy tracks(same count of EST drivers), but faster bass than Rose. Slower, boomier bass on Miracle is delicious with folk and acoustic, and slow Jazz.
_________From several comparisons, including yours, I understand, that I don't need Tri I3, since I have EDP. Even though I3 is tempting as it's an exception to my antipathy to BA, because BA in I3 is doing upper treble, where that BA harmonics go to ultrasonic and cannot spoil audible range. Smart solution that I've got to admire, and that adds to my respect for Tri designers. :clap:
______Rah fit is problematic, but I listen to it after certain mods. I taped all vents, compensating for it with switching to maximum bass filter, and then - using waterproof soft, rubbery band aid tape, made it wearable. I'll spare you from the picture of that IEM ugliness, but will post the tape below.
Because of the Rah fit, I didn't give it all 150 hours of recommended burn-in, so I'm doing that now. I don't think that here is appropriate place to discuss Rah. The important observation about its bass, that seems to be a consensus at IMR threads(and also applies to EDP) is here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/imr-pro-audio-pb2-opus-mia-semper.938732/post-15848098
It was another reason besides fit, - why R2 Red stole most of Rah ear-time.
R2 Red has the best bass, Mo Trio comes next, then Fiio FH7(resolution overload but - BA treble), Rah, iBasso it04, Orb, Z5, then, FD1, FH3... (FD1 is flat but very dynamic impactful and fast with mesmerizing vocal realism, FH3 is drunk party fun:tropical_drink:)
H40 bass is less balanced, lower bass much more boomy than Rose(Miracle expected to improve more with time), has 3d properties(similar to Z5 & Miracle), but nothing special otherwise. H40 however is very good for commute, exactly because of that bass, excellent isolation and good resolution on top.
_____BTW, How is Tri Srarlight isolation? It has rather large vent.:thinking:
1599499878604.png
ChrisOc said: "Orbs, the Fiio FH7 and FD1....and....tempting."
Orb treble is too rolled off for my taste. It's not missing upper treble, but lower treble hump blinds my hearing and prevents it from getting upper treble spacial cues to perceive sound-stage unlike Legacy 3 for example. L3 is much better balanced(with QC issues notwithstanding). Orb I have to EQ. L3 is fine as is.
Don't get tempted with FH7 as FH9 probably on the horizon.🤤 iBasso it07 is definitely coming and expected to be in the price range. Seems redundant when you have something as competent as Starlight. On the other hand, FD1 is only $60. Comfy, easy to drive, why not? And there is that new ISN for $89, that definitely gets my attention, since everyone is raving about its soundstage...:face_palm:

ChrisOc said: "...not done at night and certainly not with your owl ears"
I love sound-stage, the bigger - the better. :)
:owl:If owls listened to music, - they would be the ultimate experts in sound-stage. When owl hunts, it flies over large area "mapping" minute sounds in the memory, then it turns around, and glides back to the "pre-mapped" place where mouse was making noise, not flapping wings, approaching silently. Poor mouse never see it coming. Once owl is close enough it can hear the mouse heartbeat, so freezing and playing dead - will not help. Terrifying! (if you are a mouse):owl:

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #49,790 of 106,583
Thanks a lot, for a praise I didn't deserve, and more for this comparison. First, I need to clarify that I didn't hear Tri Starlight. It was my thoroughly researched 1st choice before I found out about Rose Miracle, and couldn't resist to try BA-free DD-EST Hybrid instead. My recommendation of Starlight over Miracle was based not on my personal experience, but trusted Head-fiers impressions of Tri Starlight.
______The way you describe Starlight bass sounds similar to Mofasest Trio bass. Graphs look similar, with slightly more bass & treble on the Starlight. I thought of it as obvious alternative to Rose Miracle for fast busy tracks(same count of EST drivers), but faster bass than Rose. Slower, boomier bass on Miracle is delicious with folk and acoustic, and slow Jazz.
_________From several comparisons, including yours, I understand, that I don't need Tri I3, since I have EDP. Even though I3 is tempting as it's an exception to my antipathy to BA, because BA in I3 is doing upper treble, where that BA harmonics go to ultrasonic and cannot spoil audible range. Smart solution that I've got to admire, and that adds to my respect for Tri designers. :clap:
______Rah fit is problematic, but I listen to it after certain mods. I taped all vents, compensating for it with switching to maximum bass filter, and then - using waterproof soft, rubbery band aid tape, made it wearable. I'll spare you from the picture of that IEM ugliness, but will post the tape below.
Because of the Rah fit, I didn't give it all 150 hours of recommended burn-in, so I'm doing that now. I don't think that here is appropriate place to discuss Rah. The important observation about its bass, that seems to be a consensus at IMR threads(and also applies to EDP) is here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/imr-pro-audio-pb2-opus-mia-semper.938732/post-15848098
It was another reason besides fit, - why R2 Red stole most of Rah ear-time.
R2 Red has the best bass, Mo Trio comes next, then Fiio FH7(resolution overload but - BA treble), Rah, iBasso it04, Orb, Z5, then, FD1, FH3... (FD1 is flat but very dynamic impactful and fast with mesmerizing vocal realism, FH3 is drunk party fun:tropical_drink:)
H40 bass is less balanced, lower bass much more boomy than Rose(Miracle expected to improve more with time), has 3d properties(similar to Z5 & Miracle), but nothing special otherwise. H40 however is very good for commute, exactly because of that bass excellent isolation and good resolution on top.
_____BTW, How is Tri Srarlight isolation? It has rather large vent.:thinking:

ChrisOc said: "Orbs, the Fiio FH7 and FD1....and....tempting."
Orb treble is too rolled off for my taste. It's not missing upper treble, but lower treble hump blinds my hearing and prevents it from getting upper treble spacial cues to perceive sound-stage unlike Legacy 3 for example. L3 is much better balanced(with QC issues notwithstanding). Orb I have to EQ. L3 is fine as is.
Don't get tempted with FH7 as FH9 probably on the horizon.🤤 iBasso it07 is definitely coming and expected to be in the price range. Seems redundant when you have something as competent as Starlight. On the other hand, FD1 is only $60. Comfy, easy to drive, why not? And there is that new ISN for $89, that definitely gets my attention, since everyone is raving about its soundstage...:face_palm:

ChrisOc said: "...not done at night and certainly not with your owl ears"
I love sound-stage, the bigger - the better. :)
:owl:If owls listened to music, - they would be the ultimate experts in sound-stage. When owl hunts, it flies over large area "mapping" minute sounds in the memory, then it turns around, and glides back to the "pre-mapped" place where mouse was making noise, not flapping wings, approaching silently. Poor mouse never see it coming. Once owl is close enough it can hear the mouse heartbeat, so freezing and playing dead - will not help. Terrifying! (if you are a mouse):owl:

It is a pity but, we cannot have all IEMs so it is great to hear your take on those that you have. I will continue to look out for your impressions. Keep them coming.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that the Starlights' isolation is good (indoors) but not outstanding, and with large vent it would be interesting to see how wind impacts it (having taken it out yet).

Owls have certainly honed their skills to the max!

On the ISN D02 (the $89 one) I joined that train and should soon (I hope) receive mine. I hope I do not get the issues others have experienced but @dharmasteve has given tips that may help.

Also waiting for Kennerton ikiz from Japan.

So, here is hoping for some good sounds 🍻.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #49,792 of 106,583
DSC07525.JPG

So the NM2+ has landed. Out of the box. I can tell these are a more refined NM2. Sound overall has more distinction, vocals sound astounding out of the box. Very good sense of space and stage seems to have increased from the stock NM2 as well as a result. From my prior experiences with aluminum housings. It has an affect on tonality. Adds a touch of sweetness to the sonics. Treble seems more pristine. Vocals have that slight sweetness. Imaging is better on these. There seems to be slightly less mid bass letting mids absolutely shine on these. Sub bass rumble is intact. So far I am very impressed with these. They didn't just upgrade a few aspects of the NM2 they made an entirely new IEM.

Vocal lovers take note. These should be on your short list. Another outstanding IEM from NF audio. Off to the burn in they go.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #49,793 of 106,583
Also waiting for Kennerton ikiz from Japan
Interesting! Looks like coaxial DD combo. Looking forward learning what is that about. The form-factor though is not my cup of tea, unlike ISN universal.
AS for ISN D02, it's in my card but will wait for the next cycle. My budget for this cycle is depleted.:triportsad:
But I have plenty to do with those I already have. IMR Opus Mia is on its way and expected next week.
So for now, I'll just settle for enjoying Discovery, while tinkering with my gear...:beerchug:

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #49,794 of 106,583
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #49,796 of 106,583
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #49,797 of 106,583

Users who are viewing this thread

Back