The discovery thread!
Sep 3, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #49,696 of 106,860
Although this is not the appropriate thread, can anyone direct me to a good tutorial on MSEB?

I'm playing with it on an R3 Pro with my guideray T20. MSEB seems crazy powerful. I can indeed make my IEMs sound like just about anything...good and bad.

Honestly, its a touch overwhelming...not that PEQ can't be challenging too.

I'd love to learn a few tips. Its been all trial and error and playing with interactions on the different sliders.
I've messed with it a lot since I was an original R6 owner through their IGG campaign. I'll write up a method that I use to get to my settings. It's good to have consistent process in how you go about tweaking settings IMO. Obviously, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat but I've settled on a way to go about it that produces nice results for me. Give me a day or two to write it up.

Long story short, set to extreme, use one slider at a time, set to -100, then+100 to see what the slider does, then to-70 and+70, then-50+50, and so on until you decide your preference for that slider. And then the important part is to make a second pass through them all and save the settings....

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #49,698 of 106,860
I've messed with it a lot since I was an original R6 owner through their IGG campaign. I'll write up a method that I use to get to my settings. It's good to have consistent process in how you go about tweaking settings IMO. Obviously, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat but I've settled on a way to go about it that produces nice results for me. Give me a day or two to write it up.

Long story short, set to extreme, use one slider at a time, set to -100, then+100 to see what the slider does, then to-70 and+70, then-50+50, and so on until you decide your preference for that slider. And then the important part is to make a second pass through them all and save the settings....
I was using Hiby Music Player on my Samsung S8+ smartphone for the past 2 years. Then suddenly it stopped working. I deleted it and went to Google Play to re download it; only to find out it wasn't offered anymore. Tonight, I went back to the Google Play store and found that it's back; so I re downloaded it. Haven't had much time yet to spend with it but I'm excited to get this thing back and working with my Fiio Q1MK2 dac/amp. Been a HUGE fan of the MSEB EQ for the past years. When I lost the Hiby app, I had to buy UAAP app and the PEQ at an additional cost. And tbth, I don't like it as much as the Hiby Music app. The MSEB is much easier to use, and does a better job of making all my iems sound great.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #49,699 of 106,860
20200904_130625.jpg
20200904_130505.jpg

Got this from my father today. He said hey i see you always with somthing similar. This is what i bought 1988. I don't use it any more. He let me know that this was at the time pretty high end gear

I didn't try the receiver till now. But the buds are really great. I listen to some 80 funk/rock and wow these are great it just make sense these were made for this kind of music. It just sound so like it should be they resolve great and sound very live and airy. They get pretty loud on my phone without distortion. Stereo seperation is kinda weak. But these got a enjoyment to them i never felt before.

When this was good gear at the time we made a great jump in details and seperation. But lost alot of liveliness natural characteristics timbre and just the sense of pure enjoyment. These don't give you the reason to say this lacks this is bad

I just get the feeling of wow these sound great i want listen to them

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #49,700 of 106,860
Got this from my father today. He said hey i see you always with somthing similar. This is what i bought 1988. I don't use it any more. He let me know that this was at the time pretty high end gear

That looks like a sweet receiver. Have a soft spot for old school Sony gear (well, I love their contemporary products too) :)

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #49,701 of 106,860
MSEB doesn't work like traditional EQ, it's a set of sliders with ranges from -100 to +100 for various sounds attributes like bass depth, female overtones, coolness/warmth, etc. Unfortunately there is no way to compare, truly an apples to oranges situation. It changes the character of the sound far more than EQ or PEQ alone.

I'll be blunt. The balanced 4.4mm out is far superior in all ways given the power differential. Wait for the next ali sale and stock up on 4.4 mm cables. z IMO but always go with the balanced out.

You're missing out on a lot of headspace and dynamics if you're not using the 4.4mm out.
Tbh, I don't consider adapters as just a temporary solution - you can leave them attached to the DAP...thus it makes quick removal of iems much easier (and minimising jack removals protects the unit.) DAC balanced does sound amazing - the Dual ESS9028 Sabre delivers very high-performance.
Also when using the R6 as a standalone - I'm now finding that the battery isn't draining as much with balanced out.....
If I do need to slow it down even further, R6 Pro's SE out is easily as good as balanced via Sony NW-ZX300a - even with its new custom fw.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #49,702 of 106,860
More on the Smabat NCO: I know some don't believe in burn-in but the transformation after 48 hours is amazing. The soundstage is amongst the best I have heard and the timbre is outstanding, Detail retrieval also excellent and bass powerful and natural, great transient response as well. These are really special.

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #49,703 of 106,860
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #49,704 of 106,860
Both have significant driver flex and the D02 isn't front vented which makes the flex worst and in my case a perfect seal impossible due to suction/pressure/loss of sound/whatever effect and hence requiring foam tips which limits tips rolling options and isn't comfortable to me.

Among all the sustained and relentless hype for these D02 by less than a handful, not a single mention of this has been made so far if I am not mistaken...
My Blessing2 isn't "front-vented" but like many modern resin-filled IEMs - has both sides of DD tubed to the back. Same appears to be the case with my new Rose Miracle. No flex in either. It's not guaranteed though, depending on individual ear-canal. (I was getting flex with LX and getting it on one side with L3) But with incorrect assembly, tube could get clogged, so I would suspect QC issue there.

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #49,705 of 106,860
My Blessing2 isn't "front-vented" but like many modern resin-filled IEMs - has both sides of DD tubed to the back. Same appears to be the case with my new Rose Miracle. No flex in either. It's not guaranteed though, depending on individual ear-canal. (I was getting flex with LX and getting it on one side with L3) But with incorrect assembly, tube could get clogged, so I would suspect QC issue there.

How is the Rose coming along? I was not planning on it but a second stimulus payment might go to a Miracle EST.

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #49,706 of 106,860
How is the Rose coming along? I was not planning on it but a second stimulus payment might go to a Miracle EST.
If you look at my signature - it's N#1 now. Trio is close 2-nd. (It wasn't as close until I switched Trio to Pentacon balanced on R5 - awesome synergy!) It has different presentation from Trio though.
Rose has less focus on deepest sub-bass, and instead has it full, thick and spacious, reminiscent of H40 and Hidiz MS4 Mermaid, which is my preferred type of bass. Low mids are a bit warmer than Trio. Both are great. I don't find Trio mids deficient in any way. I also never find them congested, always get spacious airy soundstage, but when it comes to air and space, it looks like extra 2 Sonion EST deliver sizable advantage.
:warning: Noticeable difference starts at upper mids & lower treble that less elevated than in traditional tuning, making vocals slightly less forward reminiscent to Sony Z5, giving deeper more distant presentation. I like it better this way, as I'm sensitive to 3-7K range. Negative effect of that (and speed of EST) - is somewhat less natural percussion timbre, as I see many people describe that ethereal nature of EST treble. The good news, is that in my experience, this kind of treble scales well and stops being a problem with higher end sources. Also, it's the least offensive treble, despite that this IEM is by no means treble-shy.
I'm still amazed how accurate Trio tuning is. Almost perfect monitor, where nothing sounds wrong. Miracle has more fun tuning, at this time still less accurate, but it's so darn addictive.
I haven't listened to my other IEMs since Monday. The only exception, is that I used Orb for commute today. (Taped vent thus reducing bass and increasing isolation - win, win!) Also used Trio and H40(H40 is taped as well) for evening commute. This kind of re-adjustment of my wide range preferences happened last time, when addiction to Roland sound prompted me to sell my LX year ago.
Because of terrible fit & isolation, the King of my IEMs hasn't been challenged yet. IMR Rah will be compared to Miracle tomorrow.
I prefer DD tonality, and that's the main reason why I vent for Rose and not something like Tri Starlight. What is your preference?

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #49,707 of 106,860
Because of terrible fit & isolation, the King of my IEMs hasn't been challenged yet. IMR Rah will be compared to Miracle tomorrow.
I prefer DD tonality, and that's the main reason why I vent for Rose and not something like Tri Starlight. What is your preference?

Don't have one. Over the years I have found it is what you do with it and I like my sound at a point where both can reach it. Out of my all time top 5, 3 are dynamic involved and 2 armature only. I like energy, speed, quick and punchy bass, huge stage, treble quality even over the extension, and effortlessness and near ruthless separation. This can be fatiguing to some when more and more is there to be heard but it is not audio info overload for me I love it. It can be whatever driver type as long as it is big and roomy, fast, resolving, articulate and highly transparent.

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #49,708 of 106,860
Both have significant driver flex and the D02 isn't front vented which makes the flex worst and in my case a perfect seal impossible due to suction/pressure/loss of sound/whatever effect and hence requiring foam tips which limits tips rolling options and isn't comfortable to me.

Among all the sustained and relentless hype for these D02 by less than a handful, not a single mention of this has been made so far if I am not mistaken...
I have been getting bad driver flex with my D02, on the right side especially, but it seems to be improving a little, so I’m not wanting to post my impressions much until they fully settle in, and until I have had enough time to listen to them. My initial impressions have been a mixed bag.

While you and I may be getting driver flex, we really don’t have reason to be upset at anyone not mentioning a characteristic that is not present for them.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #49,709 of 106,860
Don't have one. Over the years I have found it is what you do with it and I like my sound at a point where both can reach it. Out of my all time top 5, 3 are dynamic involved and 2 armature only. I like energy, speed, quick and punchy bass, huge stage, treble quality even over the extension, and effortlessness and near ruthless separation. This can be fatiguing to some when more and more is there to be heard but it is not audio info overload for me I love it. It can be whatever driver type as long as it is big and roomy, fast, resolving, articulate and highly transparent.
Well, after that 4 EST treble, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to single DD (RIP FD1). As for all BA, sub-bass impact makes them very genre limited, except for se846, T800 and possibly Thie Voyager14.
In fact, probably no more BA either, unless I can find something as well fitting and isolating as iBasso AM05 but with better sub-bass. No rush with that though, since Trio is mostly satisfactory for commute.
Could you give some example of a track to test for "quick & punchy bass"? I don't have much experience with that.:triportsad:
Effortlessness and separation appears to be there, I need to do more comparisons to figure out if that intoxicating property is unique, and is it due to my preferences. Note that our preferences might differ a lot. I don't even ever listen to speed tracks, nothing heavier than classic metal and even that very selectively.
Interestingly, some of my best IEM purchases were "educated guess" blind buys. Roland was on its way to me when BGGAR hyped it. Fealess house is less safe to blind buy, because they experiment with tuning a lot. Sony Z5,A3 and N3 also had no reviews at the time. Though, I'm still mad at iBasso for defying the famous house sound with anemic AM05 failure of a bass. Well, at least fit and isolation were consistent...

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #49,710 of 106,860
I think the best thing I've ever tried is the KSC-75... and the only thing that stands out is probably how stupidly roomy it sounds for $20. I'd imagine it fails miserably with the rest of your criteria.

... I wonder if the KPH30i in your signature is roomy too. Can't imagine the KSC-75 lasting more than a year with how terribly designed the cable is.

Wonder if I should regret not auditioning the Sennheiser HD650 when I was able to. I was like 15 years old back when I saw it and the store just doesn't exists anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back