The discovery thread!
Aug 6, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #48,781 of 101,155
Some oldies but goodies

Funny how you posted this pic. I was mentioning to a few friends here on headfi that we should start a retro thread. Might have to.

Just because a phone has been discontinued don't mean they are any worse. I still enjoy a lot of my older earphones. Will have to consider a retro thread.

Here it is. This thread will be dedicated for the has beens and great classics from the past. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-talk-about-our-old-discontinued-iems.939368/

Will post about some classics soon when I get the chance.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #48,782 of 101,155
These may be interesting...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...668#1000022185#1000069217#0_668#3422#15392#37
1596802062892.png

They are $22 for just the earphones and the tuning caps.
1596802195368.png

Might be a decent budget earphone but the tuning caps some might find useful as they seem just to slide over the ~4 to ~5mm bores.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #48,784 of 101,155
These may be interesting...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...668#1000022185#1000069217#0_668#3422#15392#37

They are $22 for just the earphones and the tuning caps.

Might be a decent budget earphone but the tuning caps some might find useful as they seem just to slide over the ~4 to ~5mm bores.
In a moment of channeling, a strange spirit pushed my finger on these, with their upgrade cable. £23 quid....moment of madness. Will report back in a couple of weeks.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #48,785 of 101,155
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #48,786 of 101,155
Believe it or not, I just received these yesterday. I stumbled upon them a few months ago and figured the price was so cheap, why not give them them a shot.

I have not listened to them yet, but they are full resin and seem well made.

I will take a listen today and report back.
If they are really bad, I can cancel. Everything crossed that they are the new Blon 03.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #48,787 of 101,155
1596816030922.png

A bit of an update on the Ls. Welp I am now %100 certain these require a good burn in before they actually sound proper. I am at 50 hours or so of burn in and the sound has filled out. Mids especially has come to life. Sounds much more coherent from bass to treble. These things sound way better than you would imagine for being a no named hybrid. I think folks that decided to give these a punt will be pleasantly surprised. But do not take open box listen even remotely seriously. They become a serious budget contender and I would say at least 50 hours of burn in is necessary to actually hear them for what they are.

Surprising amount of clarity, detail, sparkly treble. Mids have body and smoothness and a bass end that is surprisingly capable. It is clear to me they are using cheaper drivers on these but they are tuned to have a really pleasant clean sound. The stage has expanded as well. Ya I will stand by my statement. These have to be the best sounding $25 earphones I have ever heard. Lol.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #48,788 of 101,155
1596816030922.png
A bit of an update on the Ls. Welp I am now %100 certain these require a good burn in before they actually sound proper. I am at 50 hours or so of burn in and the sound has filled out. Mids especially has come to life. Sounds much more coherent from bass to treble. These things sound way better than you would imagine for being a no named hybrid. I think folks that decided to give these a punt will be pleasantly surprised. But do not take open box listen even remotely seriously. They become a serious budget contender and I would say at least 50 hours of burn in is necessary to actually hear them for what they are.

Surprising amount of clarity, detail, sparkly treble. Mids have body and smoothness and a bass end that is surprisingly capable. It is clear to me they are using cheaper drivers on these but they are tuned to have a really pleasant clean sound. The stage has expanded as well. Ya I will stand by my statement. These have to be the best sounding $25 earphones I have ever heard. Lol.
Excellent, love the update with detail. Thanks again for taking the time for this. 😎
Cheers

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #48,790 of 101,155
In other news I am expecting my Fiio FH3 from their Aliexpress page.
1596833128383.png
Will be my first Fiio earphone since the FH5. Looking forward to hearing these.
Mine should be here by next tuesday. Or monday if I am lucky :joy:

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #48,791 of 101,155
1596851590785.png

Was using my Elecom today. I had tried some adapters(MMCX -> two-pin) and put on my old Kinboofi 6 core cable on it. The angled adapters make the fit better and the cable is a decent match for the more neutral/slight warm Elecom. Put them up against the NFaudio NM2. Right off the bad the NM2 has a better fit and more isolation. The NM2 have a seemingly taller stage but that effect is partly from them being much more up front then the Elecom. After that not much competition. NM2 sound a bit muddy with noticeably less detail and transparency. Deeper, wider more air and reach. May need some work as far as cable and even fit for me but no doubt to my ears which driver is better.

Of course I like the NM2 and have nothing against it. It is worth the $99 and true sound with a nice sensitivity. They just don't belong with my Azla and Sonata with GC4 while the Elecom can hang with them. Nothing wrong with the other two having full or original prices at just below $400. Just that the Elecom is $50 so it has value in it's potential. Adapters, cable and earphones, added up to $59 for me. Though post Covid pricing for the earphones has gone up. Hard to work with and not optimal out of the box but was worth it in the end.

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #48,792 of 101,155
ChancyChancy.jpg

These have been dispatched.....pretty quick. I'm interested but not confident. They say a Taiwanese biofilm driver in resin. I kinda like the clean look of their production teams on their website.....but may well be nothing like that. Just getting a bit fed up with the same old, same old, low end stuff. Will either be a surprise or the not-use box. Somehow I don't think these will be magic.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #48,793 of 101,155
1596851590785.png
Was using my Elecom today. I had tried some adapters(MMCX -> two-pin) and put on my old Kinboofi 6 core cable on it. The angled adapters make the fit better and the cable is a decent match for the more neutral/slight warm Elecom. Put them up against the NFaudio NM2. Right off the bad the NM2 has a better fit and more isolation. The NM2 have a seemingly taller stage but that effect is partly from them being much more up front then the Elecom. After that not much competition. NM2 sound a bit muddy with noticeably less detail and transparency. Deeper, wider more air and reach. May need some work as far as cable and even fit for me but no doubt to my ears which driver is better.

Of course I like the NM2 and have nothing against it. It is worth the $99 and true sound with a nice sensitivity. They just don't belong with my Azla and Sonata with GC4 while the Elecom can hang with them. Nothing wrong with the other two having full or original prices at just below $400. Just that the Elecom is $50 so it has value in it's potential. Adapters, cable and earphones, added up to $59 for me. Though post Covid pricing for the earphones has gone up. Hard to work with and not optimal out of the box but was worth it in the end.

What Elecom is it, I can't remember?

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #48,794 of 101,155

These have been dispatched.....pretty quick. I'm interested but not confident. They say a Taiwanese biofilm driver in resin. I kinda like the clean look of their production teams on their website.....but may well be nothing like that. Just getting a bit fed up with the same old, same old, low end stuff. Will either be a surprise or the not-use box. Somehow I don't think these will be magic.

Ok, I had a quick listen.

They’re average. L shaped tuning, a little boomy, and the filter it comes preinstalled with is the best one. The other filters make it sound even boomier.

I still have to try some mods, tip rolling, a balanced cable, and EQ. So stay tuned.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #48,795 of 101,155
Not really sure where to put this, but I stumbled upon this and am very intrigued:

0FB94E26-6BFB-4793-AC27-1C10080B2056.jpeg

It seems like it would be helpful and fast for modding and tuning gear, building EQ profiles that can then be implemented in apps, etc.

Plus it’s on sale for $1 off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back