The discovery thread!
Oct 2, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #44,176 of 101,152
I am patiently waiting for @Hawaiibadboy review and comparison of kimono microthin xl vs durex xxl vs magnum xl. Chris, hurry up, I need to figure out which one to get :D... for my IT04, not interested in that bareback CIEM nonsense, universal with rubber tips is the way to go...
What no Trojan!!!!???? :D:D

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #44,177 of 101,152
What no Trojan!!!!???? :D:D

Jokes aside, imagine these companies going into iem eartips business under a slogan "for your ear pleasure!" :wink: And in all seriousness, I have used K-Y in the past with Westone ciems.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #44,178 of 101,152
Jokes aside, imagine these companies going into iem eartips business under a slogan "for your ear pleasure!" :wink: And in all seriousness, I have used K-Y in the past with Westone ciems.

Maybe you should have tried - 'Ribbed...for your pleasure' :D

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #44,179 of 101,152
Ewweww. KY in your ear....

I would avoid ANY sort of lubricant in tips, hand sanitizer I used in a few sets has made some of mine slide off the tips of IEMs and get stuck in my ear quite often. BTW, this is a community of OCD folks, what do others use to clean IEMs and tips? I still use hand sanitizer, and I have a UV-C sterilizer I use (the "phone soap"). But looking for something that wont make the tips slippery (that's what she said).

Oct 2, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #44,180 of 101,152
Ewweww. KY in your ear....

I would avoid ANY sort of lubricant in tips, hand sanitizer I used in a few sets has made some of mine slide off the tips of IEMs and get stuck in my ear quite often. BTW, this is a community of OCD folks, what do others use to clean IEMs and tips? I still use hand sanitizer, and I have a UV-C sterilizer I use (the "phone soap"). But looking for something that wont make the tips slippery (that's what she said).

3% hydrogen peroxide.

Oct 2, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #44,181 of 101,152
3% hydrogen peroxide.
Take care though that none of it dribbles out of the ear.. :/

images.jpg

Oct 2, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #44,182 of 101,152
Well, it's a discovery thread after all :wink: So, I think we are on topic. And for those who are confused with my early post about review request for HBB, just watch his latest IT04 review video :D

With K-Y as CIEM lube, it worked with Westone because their customs have a hybrid design using acrylic shell and silicone nozzle which has some kind of a reactive material to slightly expand in your ear under temperature (for a better seal). Going the usual cork-screw into my ear with CIEM wasn't working exactly well, and I used Westone own special ear lube they provided, but it didn't work for me either. K-Y did the trick, as long as you use a small drop :wink:

Oct 2, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #44,183 of 101,152
I bought some Hydrogen Peroxide wipes, from Amazon.

Oct 3, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #44,184 of 101,152
I’ve cleaned the Tin Audio T2 and Ibasso IT01 nozzle screens with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on a very shallow plate. I would hold the shell and press the nozzle down into the hydrogen peroxide for like 30 seconds to a minute. It helped to clear some gunk out.

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #44,185 of 101,152
To Caesar what is Caesar's. (Part Two)

I'm sure some of you will know that I had an incident with NiceHCK with my NX7 review. That was after they asked me to help them tune a new product. It was the future DB3 model. They sent me a Pre-Release. When I received it, the first thing I thought was that it looked like KZ models. I feared the worst, I stopped buying KZ some time ago, once I gained more experience and models, I sold all KZs in one pack and I only kept two... But that's another story... At first I didn't know the value I was going to have in the market. But it was a triple driver...It didn't sound bad, a conventional profile that I don't dislike. I compared it with IEMs close to $100, and there it didn't fit, it lacked more balance and more extension in the treble. I asked for the final price and they said less than $25. So, I thought that for that price, with that tuning, the product was fine.

Then came the incident and I refused to analyze any other NiceHCK product, no matter how many messages they sent...

After a while, they contacted me again. (I can't say it was Jim's good guy, because there was a time when he, I don't know why, stopped writing the messages. And this is something that the person on the other side confirmed. Jim used a more informal and friendly, almost affectionate language. The other person began with a more aseptic, neutral language, as if there was no past between us, but that he spoke to me for the first time. Now, I no longer know who writes the messages...)
They asked me to analyze the final unit of the Pre-Release that they sent me, that they had followed my advice on balance and trebles. I refused, I even got scared when I thought that DB3 would become a mini NX7, with a disproportionate high zone... In the end I agreed, with the condition that I would only analyze it if I liked it.

Yesterday I got home, along with a 16-core cable. The first thing I don't like is that you need to use another cable to gain clarity. You can raise the price a little and use a better cable, for a few $, but otherwise there would be no business with the cables.
My first fear was that I would have the treble triggered, even when I saw their frequency response graphs. But it hasn't. There are no unbearable treble peaks. And there's not much difference between the original curve of the Pre-Release version either. The bass is there and the cleaning in the mids continues. The initial sensation is something of greater extension above, a point of greater clarity, something of greater emphasis on the upper mids and a smoothing of the lower zone. All this produces a somewhat more balanced sound, but without losing the original soul.

The curves are not very clear, because the four capsules do not completely match each other. There are more differences between the two new capsules than between the Pre-Release capsules:

NiceHCK DB3 Pre.png
NiceHCK DB3.png

If the capsules are put together, it is noticeable that the capsules do not have a defined curve.

NiceHCK DB3 Pre R vs NiceHCK DB3 Pre L vs NiceHCK DB3 R vs NiceHCK DB3 L.png

It is also true that the 16-core cable alters the curve to gain clarity, offering some greater emphasis on midrange.

NiceHCK DB3 Pre cable 16 vs NiceHCK DB3 Pre stock.png

Compared to other IEMs with similar curves, my opinion is that DB3 is better than Revonext, but I prefer BQEYZ K1.

NiceHCK DB3 vs Revonext QT2 vs BQEYZ K1.png

By way of conclusion and although there are differences in the sound produced between the two capsules, the DB3 is a great buy for its price. It is a light V sound, with good bass performance, clear and not hurtful highs, slightly backward mids, but with enough clarity. The definition is not its strong, but remarkable for the price, the resolution cannot be compared with models of higher price. Thus, the sound is soft, far from other more analytical and precise models. But the sound is clear, well balanced, not far from a realistic naturalness. It is comfortable and pleasant in the ear, but with short and wide mouthpieces. The worst thing is that it is almost necessary to buy new cable to improve the overall clarity. The best, for me, is its profile, it fits me perfectly in what I'm looking for of low priced IEMs: good presence of bass, mids enjoyedable and not too far away and some extension in the high area without bothering. A good all road for the day to day. thanks, too, to their comfort. Perhaps the worst thing is the weight of each capsule. But once well fitted in the ears, this is not noticeable, although in the hand.
For the price is highly recommended. But it is true that there is a lot of battle in this range, you just have to try the Revonext QT5 to realize it.

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #44,186 of 101,152
I am somewhat surprised of lack of fan fare for the DB3. It drives easily and sounds great on just about everything I tried it on. Has a great dynamic sound that is easy to like. Sounds absolutely superb for a cheapo.

It says something about a phone when I have my choice of earphones to listen to yet I throw on the DB3 just as much as any of the others I own. Here is one phone that sounds seems to get better and better with age. Don't know if it is because I keep on trying different cables and tips but the sound has matured a lot for me.

Balanced/ neutral source/ higher end cable/ your best tips= leaves you wondering how this phone can be $20. I only wish higher end phones can give the price to performance ratio of the DB3. That would be something.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #44,187 of 101,152
I have two words, D's, that will explain it all, BLON BL-03. 85% are into that right now and some are into the VE BIE and then maybe 4-5% slice of the pie left for the DB3. That is the current trending.

Of course watch out for the TAPE though not a real cheapie like the others. Gonna be one of the next big things. Train is still rolling slow enough to jump on :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #44,188 of 101,152
I am somewhat surprised of lack of fan fare for the DB3. It drives easily and sounds great on just about everything I tried it on. Has a great dynamic sound that is easy to like. Sounds absolutely superb for a cheapo.

It says something about a phone when I have my choice of earphones to listen to yet I throw on the DB3 just as much as any of the others I own. Here is one phone that sounds seems to get better and better with age. Don't know if it is because I keep on trying different cables and tips but the sound has matured a lot for me.

Balanced/ neutral source/ higher end cable/ your best tips= leaves you wondering how this phone can be $20. I only wish higher end phones can give the price to performance ratio of the DB3. That would be something.

It feels like you've already tried your best (understandably) to overhype it.
Yet, I have not seen meaningful explanations how DB3 is better to C10 (<$25) or close to V90/ ZSX/C12?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #44,189 of 101,152

Just got hold of a pair yesterday and thought they sounded pretty good. The sub bass is no where near as good as the v-moda zn, but I've yet to hear anything that is. Wish I kept my pair of ZNs now.
Female vocals and soundstage are pretty decent I have to say. Need to change to a different cable though, where I hope it improves a bit.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #44,190 of 101,152
Perhaps its time to STOP using the latest Buzz word 'Hype' with every sentence? especially as its becoming used for everything now which is frankly tiresome as it has started to garner a negative connotation
My point being that there is All the difference in the world between 'Hyping' something and wishing to share ones joy and delight in a personal experience of an IEM...
Something which Dsnuts obvisually does.
Wishing to share what you delight in should be respected and not turned into something negative :)
Anyhoo...just a thought - Nothing personal intended to anyone in particular

Users who are viewing this thread

Back