The discovery thread!
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #44,192 of 99,335
It feels like you've already tried your best (understandably) to overhype it.
Yet, I have not seen meaningful explanations how DB3 is better to C10 (<$25) or close to V90/ ZSX/C12?
I bought the DB3 for my morning constitution; as it fits me criteria: an inexpensive option that will catch a lot of sweat and may get tossed in my bag, sans protective casing.

I did a comparison of the DB3, against one of last year's hotter IEMS (the KZ ZS10 Pro), to see if the advancements in the drivers have evolved that much, in less than a year. Taking into account the sound signature is not an exact match for the ZS10 Pro, I found it to be very comparable.

I wouldn't think that it would be fair to compare the DB3 to any of the other multi-driver hybrids that came out recently, as they cost more and use more of the same drivers.

Between the Blon BL-03 and the ToneKing Nine Tail, I haven't really paid any attention to my C12, that I got weeks ago. I'll add this to my list, to compare the DB3 to the CCA C12, as an excuse to break out the C12.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #44,193 of 99,335
Delights should be respected.
At the same time, connections between reviewers and sellers/manufacturers should be clearly outlined.
Yes! Very good point.
Thanks

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #44,194 of 99,335
Perhaps its time to STOP using the latest Buzz word 'Hype' with every sentence? especially as its becoming used for everything now which is frankly tiresome as it has started to garner a negative connotation
My point being that there is All the difference in the world between 'Hyping' something and wishing to share ones joy and delight in a personal experience of an IEM...
Something which Dsnuts obvisually does.
Wishing to share what you delight in should be respected and not turned into something negative :)
Anyhoo...just a thought - Nothing personal intended to anyone in particular
Hyping a product (from my perspective) has always had a negative connotation, as it invariably has over used sound bites/exaggerations in-bedded.

I immediately skip a post, whenever I see:

1. Punches above it's weight class
2. *I had a co-worker try my xyz and they were shocked when I told them how inexpensive they were
3. (nothing to do with hyperbole phrases, just throwing some shade) The two posters who say, "this will probably get this thread closed"

*Being a germophobe, there's no way something is going from my ear to some elses earhole.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #44,195 of 99,335
I have two words, D's, that will explain it all, BLON BL-03. 85% are into that right now and some are into the VE BIE and then maybe 4-5% slice of the pie left for the DB3. That is the current trending.

Of course watch out for the TAPE though not a real cheapie like the others. Gonna be one of the next big things. Train is still rolling slow enough to jump on :)

Ya I think your right. I do think most folks that get the DB3 with not really give it the time it deserves. Out of the box they can sound like your garden variety bass first earphone. It is good to see phones like the Blons/ budget fi move up in the scheme of sound. I always thought price tag is a choice of manufacturer more than anything.

I am curious about the TAPE. Looks interesting for certain.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #44,196 of 99,335
Ya I think your right. I do think most folks that get the DB3 with not really give it the time it deserves. Out of the box they can sound like your garden variety bass first earphone. It is good to see phones like the Blons/ budget fi move up in the scheme of sound. I always thought price tag is a choice of manufacturer more than anything.

I'll have all three fairly soon. The blon is the smoother pair between the blon and db3 but the db3 is warmer and less cold. The db3 is a more in your face presentation versus the width and air is of the blon. Both are still burning in but the db3 definitely had greater sub bass quantity.

Can't wait for my tape...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #44,197 of 99,335
I'll have all three fairly soon. The blon is the smoother pair between the blon and db3 but the db3 is warmer and less cold. The db3 is a more in your face presentation versus the width and air is of the blon. Both are still burning in but the db3 definitely had greater sub bass quantity.

Came wait for my tape...

I cherry pick nowadays but I pick winners lol! I have a Tape on the way as well.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #44,199 of 99,335
I will wait for your guys take on the TAPE. Look forward to reading about them.
Wonder if the TAPE can be tape modded? (couldn't resist asking the question :smile:)

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #44,200 of 99,335
My point being that there is All the difference in the world between 'Hyping' something and wishing to share ones joy and delight in a personal experience of an IEM...

I have tried to express similar thoughts in a few threads.... especially when someone says xxxxx is overhyped... just because a bunch of people have bought it and loved it.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #44,201 of 99,335
Wonder if the TAPE can be tape modded? (couldn't resist asking the question :smile:)

If you break off the tabs first then you can use tape to mod them. :)

Wonder how many will even get that. If not Google it!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #44,202 of 99,335
Ordered the Blon 03 today. Not sure how much play time they will get given my current setup but I had a $20 voucher on Massdrop, so they ended up costing me $13.75 with shipping included.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #44,203 of 99,335
to be fair the tape is a estat hybrid in ear, of which is driver tech that has never been seen anywhere near the price point its being sold for

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #44,204 of 99,335

I think it's important to make sure one spends as much time as possible with an earphone and to try with multiple eartips and cables. Music genres are also important. Some phones will sound better with certain genres, not so great with others. I've mentioned this previously in other posts here, and on other threads, like on the KZ thread. I don't believe in "one size fits all, that there's an absolute perfect iem, bud, headphone; that does everything and all music best"). Every iem, bud, headphone, amp, dac, dap, etc...is tuned for certain type or a few types of music. But certainly not ALL. That's why I'd rather have several sets that I can whip out whenever I want to experience different genres. I'm a music lover, first and foremost. I'm into lots of different types, styles and genres. I DON'T just listen to the same 10 songs from a certain genre, over and over again. I like to switch it up...alot! I can start a listening session with some old jazz, and by the time I stop listening to music and go to bed, I'm listening to metal/hard rock/80's-90's dance. There's no such thing as a transducer that does it all. If you're into multiple types of music (like I am), you need to find sets that work for you...and that means multiple sets that are tuned best for certain genres. Case in point: the TFZ NO.3. I did NOT like this iem AT ALL for SQ, when I first obtained them in May this year. As recently as less than a month ago, I rated them LAST, of the four iems I currently own. Within the past 2-3 weeks, they have moved up the ladder, based on the type of music I've been listening to ( old school Reggae, dance, funk, r&b) off Spotify. After a cable and tip change, this set now sounds excellent with that type of music. Folks, ya gotta not make snap judgements on your gear. Take the time to play with it a bit, and it can be rewarding. At this point in this game, I will NEVER sink kilobucks into anything; whether it be an amp, dac, dap, iems, headphones, etc. Not when there's so much great gear coming in at $100 and below. The TRUE discoveries, are those that do 80+% of what the TOTL gear does...at 10% or less of the cost. DB3, NX7, BLON BL03, KZ ZSX, CCA C12, TRN V90...are all under $100 and all give a slightly different sound signature. But they are relatively affordable and your can own them all for about a quarter of the price of something like Andromeda.

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #44,205 of 99,335
So I don't know if you guys are seeing all the new DAPs that will be out or are out soon. I am thinking of getting a new player. Love me a new source.
Shanling M6, Ibasso DX160, Sony ZX500, Fiio M11 pro. Hiby R5.

As of now I am leaning in no particular order Shanling M6, M11 pro or DX160. Will be interesting to see how these stack up against each other. I bet they all sound stellar for their respective prices. Exciting times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back