The discovery thread!
Sep 25, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #44,102 of 100,602
I'm gonna buy the DB3 beginning of October along with that SPC cable. From all I've been seeing, the DB3 would be a nice addition to my gear. Gonna skip on the BLON 3, TRN V90, KZ ZSZ/CCA C12 for now. I was so impressed with the NX7, I'm intrigued by this set. Plug being pulled!

Yep these past few weeks we have been having a lot of great CHIFI releases. It's really the golden age for CHIFI. I wouldn't have imagined multi driver IEMs retailing at 20 - 50 bucks just 3 years ago.

Personally, I'm more inclined to get some budget single DD IEMs like the BLON BL-03 for their timbre and less detailed but musical presentation, rather than more multi BA/hybrid type IEMs. Or maybe those IEMs with tunable filters/switches so we can get different sound signatures.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #44,103 of 100,602
So Amazon sent me the wrong upgrade cable. I ordered the 16core silver plated KB Ear to replace my very awesome Triton Audio cable, which somehow broke off on the left hand side. I cried inside. I got it at a meet, and I don't see it available anymore. It was 8core silver plated, and made my NX7 sing something special. Very nice airy sound with controlled highs and some really lovely bass. But when I opened my package, they sent me the 16core pure copper cable. Ugh! It feels beautiful, looks amazing, and has some really nice relief, chin slider etc. But it gives the NX7 a more bassy sound, and I think it loses some of that juicy top end, which affects the detail retrieval. It gives it a more "mature" sound, that brings up the bass, brings down the treble, and slightly dulls the details, though I think it improves the imaging a tad. Still, I wasn't looking for that kind of signature change.

Anyone else using copper with the NX7 and enjoying that signature?

Thinking about contacting Amazon for a replacement.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #44,104 of 100,602
Here's my full review of the new Shozy Form 1.1 IEM which launches on Friday on drop.com for surprisingly only $59 (regular $75).
https://www.antdroid.net/2019/09/shozy-form-11-iem-review.html

I really like it for the most part. It's a tad bright, but I put the PEQ settings I liked using with this in the review. Measurements are included in the review as well. Let me know if anyone has questions!

P1030733.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #44,105 of 100,602
It is one of the newest from NiceHCK. Will do a review of the cables I have been using on the DB3 and the NX7
C-16-1, C-16-2, C-16-3

So DB3 having more bass than the NX7 needs silver in it's life.. C-16-1 is the SPC 16 core cable you see here on top.

The C-16-3 is the pure copper which I have on my NX7. Excellent synergy with these cables. The C-16-2 I have on the Hi7..

Excellent cables from NiceHCK. Yes they are double the price of the DB3. If your gonna go balanced anyway might as well splurge a little get something nice with the added fact that these cables enhance the sound flavor of these phones perfectly.
Totally agree! I've got that SPC 16 core balanced in my Ali cart along with the DB3. One thing I gotta buy soon though, is an adapter that will convert my 2.5mm balanced plug to 3.5mm unbalanced. People who know me and see my gear are always wanting to try it with their own stuff...and they all only run off 3.5mm unbalanced. I gotta get an easier swap out than changing cables all the time.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #44,106 of 100,602
So Amazon sent me the wrong upgrade cable. I ordered the 16core silver plated KB Ear to replace my very awesome Triton Audio cable, which somehow broke off on the left hand side. I cried inside. I got it at a meet, and I don't see it available anymore. It was 8core silver plated, and made my NX7 sing something special. Very nice airy sound with controlled highs and some really lovely bass. But when I opened my package, they sent me the 16core pure copper cable. Ugh! It feels beautiful, looks amazing, and has some really nice relief, chin slider etc. But it gives the NX7 a more bassy sound, and I think it loses some of that juicy top end, which affects the detail retrieval. It gives it a more "mature" sound, that brings up the bass, brings down the treble, and slightly dulls the details, though I think it improves the imaging a tad. Still, I wasn't looking for that kind of signature change.

I have an 8 core pure copper Nicehck balanced cable on my NX7 and I think that's a fantastic combo for me. Yeah, pure copper helps shelve down the highs a bit on the NX7, but I've been using this cable from day 1, and I've never had any issues with piercing or unnatural sounding treble, like many others have reported. With my pure copper cable and my Newbee foam tips, the NX7 has excellent bass and smooth, detailed mids and high end treble resolution; without sounding harsh or fatiguing. I personally love a good copper cable on the NX7.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #44,107 of 100,602
I have an 8 core pure copper Nicehck balanced cable on my NX7 and I think that's a fantastic combo for me. Yeah, pure copper helps shelve down the highs a bit on the NX7, but I've been using this cable from day 1, and I've never had any issues with piercing or unnatural sounding treble, like many others have reported. With my pure copper cable and my Newbee foam tips, the NX7 has excellent bass and smooth, detailed mids and high end treble resolution; without sounding harsh or fatiguing. I personally love a good copper cable on the NX7.

Thanks. That's the exact sound you described. I'm going to keep them connected and see if my brain burns them in? If not, I can always buy some silver plated from Jim.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #44,108 of 100,602

If it's not your preferred sound signature, what does it matter, what any of say about the "wrong" cable ?

On my DB3, which is supposed to be a mellower version of the NX7, I'm actually using the Nicehck C16-3, 2.5mm; which is purported to be copper. But that's my choice, because I don't like overly bright.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #44,109 of 100,602
Here's my full review of the new Shozy Form 1.1 IEM which launches on Friday on drop.com for surprisingly only $59 (regular $75).

I really like it for the most part. It's a tad bright, but I put the PEQ settings I liked using with this in the review. Measurements are included in the review as well. Let me know if anyone has questions!
Ooh. If nothing else I am intrigued by their aesthetics... <-<

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #44,110 of 100,602
First up for the new TFZ IEMs is the TFZ T x BEAR 1 which is a 1 BA IEM. Light bass, clear midrange, crisp treble, average soundstage. Quite enjoyable especially for acoustic music. :)

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #44,111 of 100,602
One thing I gotta buy soon though, is an adapter that will convert my 2.5mm balanced plug to 3.5mm unbalanced. People who know me and see my gear are always wanting to try it with their own stuff...and they all only run off 3.5mm unbalanced. I gotta get an easier swap out than changing cables all the time.

I have a couple of those adapters because not all of my daps have balanced output. I don't want to stress the connectors by frequently changing cables.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #44,112 of 100,602
Totally agree! I've got that SPC 16 core balanced in my Ali cart along with the DB3. One thing I gotta buy soon though, is an adapter that will convert my 2.5mm balanced plug to 3.5mm unbalanced. People who know me and see my gear are always wanting to try it with their own stuff...and they all only run off 3.5mm unbalanced. I gotta get an easier swap out than changing cables all the time.

Are you talking about -
1.) Connecting a Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) Earphone to an Un-Balanced (3.5mm TRS) Source?
-or-
2.) Connecting an Un-Balanced (3.5mm TRS) Earphone to a Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) Source?

#1 is easy - just connect a 3.5mm TRS Plug to a 2.5mm TRRS Socket, like this:
Left+ = 3.5mm Tip -to- 2.5mm Ring2
Right+ = 3.5mm Ring -to- 2.5mm Ring1
GND = 3.5mm Sleeve -to- 2.5mm Tip (R-) and Sleeve (L-)

#2 is trickier, since the (L-) and (R-) signals are separate, and most Balanced Amplifiers will be damaged if you short them together.
So, to protect the amplifier channels, you need to add some series (current limiting) resistance, when tying them to the common GND of the Un-Balanced Earphones.
That can be done by connecting a 2.5mm TRRS Plug to a 3.5mm TRS Socket, like this:
Right- = 2.5mm Tip -to- 4Ω - 8Ω Resistor -to- 3.5mm Sleeve (GND)
Right+ = 2.5mm Ring1 -to- 3.5mm Ring
Left+ = 2.5mm Ring2 -to- 3.5mm Tip
Left- = 2.5mm Sleeve -to- 4Ω - 8Ω Resistor -to- 3.5mm Sleeve (GND)

EDIT: Had the Left- and Right- references swapped on #2. Fixed now.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #44,113 of 100,602

I have a couple. Is that cable noisy with the cloth covering? Thinking the stage height could be helped with wider bore tips so wondering if you tried those perhaps. I have seen pics of the stock tips white and black and it looks like they don't have that wide a bore like JVC or other tips.

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #44,114 of 100,602
I have a couple. Is that cable noisy with the cloth covering? Thinking the stage height could be helped with wider bore tips so wondering if you tried those perhaps. I have seen pics of the stock tips white and black and it looks like they don't have that wide a bore like JVC or other tips.

I didn't try spiral dots because I thought this IEM was already bright and I didn't want to make them more bright with wide bore tips like Spiral Dots.

The cable is not noisy for me.

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #44,115 of 100,602
Thanks. That's the exact sound you described. I'm going to keep them connected and see if my brain burns them in? If not, I can always buy some silver plated from Jim.
Yup, that's definitely an option considering that the price difference isn't huge. During the last big summer sale in June, I picked up the 8 core pure copper for $13.83 CDN and the 8 core SPC for $14 CDN on Aliexpress. The new 16 core ones from Nicehck also look very appealing but do cost alot more (like in the $50-60 CDN range). Still not a bad price though for quality, well built cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back