The discovery thread!
Jan 5, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #41,102 of 100,440
Seems to be the IT driver now. We have moved on from Graphene folks!
I think no. Graphene coupled with different techs and tuned right can be astonishing. DLC or Tesla magnetic alone doesn`t certainly mean it is superior result.

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #41,103 of 100,440
DLC is so vague as it can be graphene or carbon nanotube. As both are similar in that family of carbon based drivers.

I can see KZ using DLC to describe what is actually graphene. Lol.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #41,104 of 100,440
Seems more and more manufacturers are getting into the Tesla game. Seems to be the IT driver now. We have moved on from Graphene folks!

Isn't graphene the technology used for the membrane and tesla the power of the magnet ( Tesla is the unit for magnetic force)? So we could have both, a one tesla power magnet with graphene membrane. But again, graphene membranes have so many variations and such of vague term on how graphene is used in the material

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #41,105 of 100,440
Ultimately it comes down to tuning. I suppose if your marketing a new dynamic earphone your gonna try to associate your new phone with anything "high end" Seems more like a marketing scheme more so than what you actually get as a product. I am gonna doubt anyone is gonna bust open a new earphone and actually test a driver for to see is the real deal. Lol.

DLC is on some high end earphones so I can see this description being used a lot for anything that comes remotely close especially in the Chinese market.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #41,107 of 100,440
My review of the Whizzer A-HE03 - a beautiful but ordinary IEM.
https://primeaudio.org/whizzer-kylin-a-he03-review-skin-deep/

Whizzer Kylin A-HE03 angle faceplates.jpg

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #41,108 of 100,440
I picked up these bad boys on sale with some gift card money and cash.

Have to say these perform exceptionally well. Much better than their specs on paper would suggest. They only have AAC and SBC for codecs but they sound very good. If anyone has tried the MDR1000XM3 and found it to bass oriented and dark but want similar levels of ANC then the N700NC is going to be the one to at least try. I also have the NAD HP70 and I prefer the N700NC over it sonically speaking, ergonomically speaking, and app wise. They are both more balanced than the 1000XM3 but I find a certain harshness to the HP70 that the N700NC manages to avoid. The cups offer more space than the HP70 and are flushed to the head and weigh less to.

Ate they perfect? If they would have added more codecs I would say yes with a capital Y. But since they chose to not support more codecs I think they missed the boat in competing fully with Sony at least on paper. But if you like a more balanced signature these are awesome sounding! They are not as lean sounding as the typical AKG house sound settling nicely in the middle being neither warm nor cold.

Going to be writing a full review over them over the next couple days followed by reviews of the 1000XM3 and HP70.

For those who don't mind a cable, dealing with batteries, and only need occasional ANC. The KEF Space One wired headphone offers more detail and performance especially if you can get it on sale for around $150. Unfortunately I can not afford to buy the Wireless version to see how it performs against the N700NC but it may another good alternative for true BT.

Here is what is looks like in the wired form.

So anyone here try the new Mackie IEM's? They released the MP-120 (single dynamic driver), MP-220 (dual dynamic), and MP-240 (hybrid with Knowles single BA). http://mackie.com/products/mp-series.

I saw them on sale at a local music store and bought the MP-220 on a whim since I have nor done a dynamic only IEM in a while. So far they are really sounding very nice with big bass and a huge sound stage. The bass is a bit heavy but these are also brand new so I suspect the bass will change over the first 20+ hours. Really like their organic sound, it is very satisfying.

If I continue to dig these I will have to get a good android cable or possibly a BT cable. So some affordable but good quality suggestions would be welcome.

Hi there,
Any experience with the MP-240's?
Listening to them I really liked them and I am fishing for some info here at head-fi regarding comparisons with other iems in the 200-300 euro price range.
I would appreciate some feedback.
Thanx

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #41,109 of 100,440
The new TFZ say Tesla but N50 are not Tesla so they are stacking 2, I guess, cause it says double magnetic. Really need an exploded of this No. 3.

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #41,110 of 100,440
The new TFZ say Tesla but N50 are not Tesla so they are stacking 2, I guess, cause it says double magnetic. Really need an exploded of this No. 3.
are we witnessing some sort of a DLC war right now?
First was the Kanas Pro, affordable DLC driver in ear, now all of a sudden we have Ibasso with DLC model and after that the TFZ are comming out with their own

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #41,111 of 100,440
are we witnessing some sort of a DLC war right now?
First was the Kanas Pro, affordable DLC driver in ear, now all of a sudden we have Ibasso with DLC model and after that the TFZ are comming out with their own

KP is DLC coated polyetheretherketone, not sure if IT01s' hybrid DLC/CNT is a coating, TFZ just says diamond. Anyway tech is available so we are going to see more of it for sure.

There's been a burst of affordable planars lately too, Toneking BL1 comes to mind, not much talk about those unfortunately.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #41,112 of 100,440
DLC is "diamond like coating" so has to be a coating. :) Also says on the site that DiNaTT has a DLC coating on the dome.

According to TFZ though better off waiting till the 15th for the King III. The better version over the No.3.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #41,113 of 100,440
DLC is "diamond like coating" so has to be a coating. :) Also says on the site that DiNaTT has a DLC coating on the dome.

According to TFZ though better off waiting till the 15th for the King III. The better version over the No.3.
some use it for "diamond like carbon"
Kanas Pro is "diamond like carbon", Ibasso model is "Diamond-Like Coating"

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #41,115 of 100,440
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back